KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?

Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?

For the film itself, killing Snoke off was a really cool scene and the director really had some nerves to do it. People applauded when it happened, the accompanying score was excellent, and you can probably come up with lots of meaningful themes facilitated by the Psycho-style decision.

But look at the cost. Snoke may very well have been the most hyped movie villain of all time, and they got rid of that potential to pull a Hitchcock and have an epic scene. Of course, they can always bring him back in 9, but if they keep him dead it becomes unclear whether you would prefer this cute little twist over the truly epic storyline he could have provided.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:09 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I think Snoke always would’ve been in the shadow of Palpatine no matter what, so I doubt the potential of an “epic” storyline with him. Killing Snoke was probably the best (or one of the best) options at that point.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:13 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Re: Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Snoke may very well have been the most hyped movie villain of all time,

Really?

I never got that impression. At the very least Thanos is more hyped. How was Snoke hyped?

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:27 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

Re: Re: Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?

Originally posted by Nephthys
Really?

I never got that impression. At the very least Thanos is more hyped. How was Snoke hyped?

i visit stupendous wave and star wars theory and i was hyped mad

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:35 AM
Click here to Send redpill a Private Message Find more posts by redpill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Re: Re: Re: Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?

Originally posted by redpill
i visit stupendous wave and star wars theory

Well, you probably shouldn't do that.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:38 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Nephthys
Really?

How many fan theories were there on Snoke's identity? Can you think of a villain who generated more speculation in the course of 2 years?

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:38 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

How many fan theories were there on Snoke's identity? Can you think of a villain who generated more speculation in the course of 2 years?

I think the identity was bigger than the character itself frankly.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:40 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

That seems like the fans fault. Nothing to do with those making the actual films.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Well the filmmakers have an onus to predict and react to fan reception. Snoke was deliberately hyped up to be this mysterious and uber-intimidating bad guy with pretty blatant Plagueis and, in the supporting material, even Ratakan allusions and they chose to pull Hitchcock rather than further explore his character, for now at least.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:43 AM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Re: Was the Snoke reveal really worth it?

For the film itself, killing Snoke off was a really cool scene and the director really had some nerves to do it. People applauded when it happened, the accompanying score was excellent, and you can probably come up with lots of meaningful themes facilitated by the Psycho-style decision.

But look at the cost. Snoke may very well have been the most hyped movie villain of all time, and they got rid of that potential to pull a Hitchcock and have an epic scene. Of course, they can always bring him back in 9, but if they keep him dead it becomes unclear whether you would prefer this cute little twist over the truly epic storyline he could have provided.
This is one of the things I actually liked about the movie. Snoke was a poor man's Palpatine and we didn't need a repeat. Undoing the mistake of creating such a character in the first place was a stroke of genius on Rian's part. His mistake was utterly dropping the ball on Kylo Ren after his betrayal and depriving the film and presumably episode IX of a credible villain. Kylo the rationalist and pragmatist (offing Snoke, wisely dismissing the Jedi AND the Sith as a bad deal all the way around, and willingness to work alongside Rey to usher in an age of something new entirely ) is the villain the movie needed. Unfortunately, Kylo the petulant man child is all we have left. sad

As to Snoke though, I hope he stays gone. At an end his hype is and not short enough it was!

Last edited by Dark-Kenshin on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 01:00 AM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:51 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

He's not dead imo.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 01:11 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Kurk
He's not dead imo.

It's up to Abrams at this point.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 01:13 AM
The Merchant

Yeah, I was guessing that Snoke might have been a Rakata considering how coincidentally Rakata prime was made canon.

But I like this turn of events more. Kylo becoming his own man now, not following anyone's footsteps.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 02:48 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I really hope that Rian killed off Snoke just as a f*ck you to the endless fan speculation and theory/analysis breakdown videos.

He was some *sshole who took power over a military society. Just like "the Emperor" from the OT. Not the PT, the OT. Imagine if there was YouTube in 1980: "The Thing that PROVES the Emperor is Luke Skywalker's father!" #23 on trending

F*ck all that noise.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I think it would have worked better if what Kylo was about to do hadn't been telegraphed to the audience, would have had more of an impact.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 06:56 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah but then all the crybaby... "fans"... is that what they are?... would just complain about it being too subtle.

I'm in favour of them showing (it's a visual medium), and in the spirit of show-don't-tell, I would have preferred if they hadn't narrated it. Like it wasn't telegraphed, it was provided with an audio description for the hearing impaired.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 06:59 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I really hope that Rian killed off Snoke just as a f*ck you to the endless fan speculation and theory/analysis breakdown videos.

Lol with the Snoke ending and with the Rey reveal, Rian was probably laughing hard inside over the last 2 years of stupid fan theories.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 12:25 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Kylo Ren is the best thing about Star Wars since Vader.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 03:30 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Snoke's on the Vader hype train, so sure.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 03:38 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

Originally posted by AncientPower
Kylo Ren is the best thing about Star Wars since Vader.

im thinking rey but ok

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 04:14 AM
Click here to Send redpill a Private Message Find more posts by redpill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote