KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » What was Ben's and Yoda's plan?

What was Ben's and Yoda's plan?
Started by: Charlie512

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Yes!

Old Post Apr 7th, 2012 11:00 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ Lol Queeq, you blaming the PT? Im shocked!!!

But yeah I admit no one thought of Luke's training as being too fast before the PT..

It was quite clear in the OT when Yoda says to Luke "No more training do you require" and when Vader says to Luke "Your skills are now complete.."

This is true, but Yoda says this 4 years after ANH, I'm sure Luke continued his training after the duel with Vader, we see the results of that training in RoTJ, including the cut scene where he builds his new light saber.

But going back to Yoda's training in ESB, I think Yoda intended to train Luke for quite a bit longer, at least until Luke could've lifted the X-wing himself. If Yoda could've kept Luke on Dagobah for another year, for example, I'm sure he would've gone toe to toe with Vader when they next met.

And back to the OP- I don't believe Yoda and OB1 had a plan. IMO OB1 was just guarding Luke on Tatooine. I don't think he had a plan to train Luke to defeat Vader and/or the Emperor. Just keep him safe and let him live out his meager life on the dust ball planet. The rebellion, the message from Leia, the death of his adopted parents, these led to the decision to train him.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 05:36 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

Yeah well this one's annoyed me..

Yoda's line: No more training do you require. Vader's line: Your skills are now complete. Luke's line: Im a Jedi, like my father before me.

I see a lot of quotes where Yoda says Luke doesn't need any more training, but as soon as Luke says "Then I am a Jedi", Yoda nearly coughs up a lung laughing at him, says something about training Jedi for 600 years, then says...

Yoda: No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will.

So by the time Luke says, "I am a Jedi like my father before me," he is a Jedi because he met Yoda's criteria by smacking down Vader.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 05:56 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah problem is after watching the PT we know that's pretty impossible for Luke to have completed his training that quickly, especially with so little instruction.

Look a Anakin, the Chosen One, he had 10 years training under another Jedi by AOTC, and still wasn't a Jedi. Compared that to Luke's 4 years, with only a few weeks of supervision.

Makes no sense now, and Lucas has confirmed in the ROTJ commentary now that Luke wasn't fully trained.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2013 10:22 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And again: the PT ruined the OT.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2013 05:31 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Yeah problem is after watching the PT we know that's pretty impossible for Luke to have completed his training that quickly, especially with so little instruction.

Look a Anakin, the Chosen One, he had 10 years training under another Jedi by AOTC, and still wasn't a Jedi. Compared that to Luke's 4 years, with only a few weeks of supervision.

Makes no sense now, and Lucas has confirmed in the ROTJ commentary now that Luke wasn't fully trained.

Where did he confirm that? It's nice to know that at least GL doesn't expect us to believe Luke could become a Knight with only some of the basics. Vader must have been seriously holding back against his son on the Death Star.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Jul 6th, 2013 07:43 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Vensai
Where did he confirm that?

Lucas has confirmed in the ROTJ commentary

Vader must have been seriously holding back against his son on the Death Star.
If you discount the novelization, yup.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2013 02:46 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

But the novelization is canon.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2013 07:51 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

F*ck the novelization. It's stupid.

He was giving it his all in the book. Makes more sense and fits in better with the emotional consistency if he wasn't.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2013 03:21 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Where did he confirm that?

ROTJ Audio commentary in the scene where Luke visits Yoda.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2013 10:40 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Where did he confirm that? It's nice to know that at least GL doesn't expect us to believe Luke could become a Knight with only some of the basics. Vader must have been seriously holding back against his son on the Death Star.

He made the mistake of angering Luke over the Leia threat.
Luke seemed to be using the darkside, but was able to stop its flow when Vader was taken down, with his innate compassion.
Luke didnt need to be uber trained to get that far, in surviving against Vader long enough for the Emporer to start zapping him to death, provoking Anakin's return..
But the whole Luke ultimate Jedi warrior thing some fans riff on is silly and that Lucas had to spell that one out speaks volumes of their limited view of the whole saga dynamic. The picture was always bigger than that.
Luke was a piece on the board that was to draw decisive action from Anakin, forfilling the prophecy, and wasn't ever meant to be some Jedi Rambo that would single handedly kick all ass.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jul 12th, 2013 03:43 PM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, yeah, that would be the post-PT explanation.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2013 04:36 PM
Vensai

Originally posted by queeq
Well, yeah, that would be the post-PT explanation.

Among other things, made the entire saga revolve around Anakin and led to various retcons to the novelisation.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 5th, 2013 09:46 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

It was always obvious, if you didn't have rose tinted glasses, that after ESB Luke had almost no chance of saving the day by prowess in combat.

What Yoda gave him was enough understanding and confidence in the force to be a thorn in the side.

After ESB the rebels and Luke only had hope to fuel them, it was a huge gamble, that payed off, thanks mostly to the Force which is greater than Palps and Vader.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2013 10:47 AM
Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Allankles
It was always obvious, if you didn't have rose tinted glasses, that after ESB Luke had almost no chance of saving the day by prowess in combat.

He wasn't going to defeat the Emperor with his Lightsaber skills. Well not anytime soon anyway. That was made clear in ESB and ROTJ even before the PT.

But he clearly was a "Threat" since ANH. The guy destroyed the Death Star which people seem to keep forgetting. So even though we know the "plot device" will lead to a final Lightsaber confrontation where everything will be decided there, that wasn't the only way to be a threat to the Emperor. In the big scheme of things being a great Fencer should be pretty useless.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 07:53 AM
queeq
Chaos

I dunno. He did beat Vader and Mace did beat Palpatine. They weren't unbeatable.

But of course, the whole point of Palpy's defeat is, however corny it may be, ... LOVE. Love between father and son. THat surpasses all knowledge of the Force. And actually, I always thought that was kinda neat. And not done in a corny way. I really missed that subtle touch of values in the PT.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2013 08:12 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Re: Re: Re: Re: What was Ben's and Yoda's plan?

Originally posted by Darth Thor
"He's lost a lot of power and a lot of potential to become more powerful than the Emporer"

You have done what I could not. thumb up

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 9th, 2018 05:29 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Lol no worries. Actually forgot about this myself until people recently began asking for any quotes confirming it.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2018 09:23 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Stop writing your fanfiction, DT.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2018 03:53 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

As long as he gets it published, it'll be canon.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2018 04:04 AM