KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Who funded the creation of the GAR in canon?

Who funded the creation of the GAR in canon?
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Who funded the creation of the GAR in canon?

In Legends it was Plagueis who originally footed the bill for the creation of the first batch of Clone troops. Any word on who funded them in canon?

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 03:13 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

In the wookiepiedia's bio of Sifo-Dyas it's said that after the jedi master's death "Tyranus and his Sith Master, Darth Sidious, funded Sifo-Dyas's army of clone troopers, hired the bounty hunter Jango Fett to serve as a genetic template, instructed the Kaminoan cloners to add Order 66 to the clones' behavioral modification biochips (which Sifo-Dyas originally intended to be a safeguard against any treacherous orders given to clones), and manipulated the Jedi Order into taking command of the army when the Clone Wars erupted".

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 06:13 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

^That was taken from the canon page of wookiepedia of course

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 06:13 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

I mean that is a question, how tf do you fund a galactic scale army & fleet secretly?

The North Remembers

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

1. By being a villain-sue.
2. By the story being poorly written. The entire concept of the clone army being created in secret is just one example of many in attack of the clones being a dogshit story.

The only thing crazier than the tale of how the clone army came to be is the idea that the Republic would even use it in a war. If you want to think about some crazy shit, the timeline between the Republic learning of the existence of the Clone army and the Republic mobilizing the Clone army alongside the Jedi for a massive planetary assault is a matter of days at best. This is the same Republic that is repeatedly stated to be indecisive and impotent due to infinite layers of bureaucracy and corruption, but somehow within 10 minutes of discussion the Senate manages to vote in emergency powers for palpatine.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 02:17 AM

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 02:05 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
1. By being a villain-sue.
2. By the story being poorly written. The entire concept of the clone army being created in secret is just one example of many in attack of the clones being a dogshit story.

The only thing crazier than the tale of how the clone army came to be is the idea that the Republic would even use it in a war. If you want to think about some crazy shit, the timeline between the Republic learning of the existence of the Clone army and the Republic mobilizing the Clone army alongside the Jedi for a massive planetary assault is a matter of days at best. This is the same Republic that is repeatedly stated to be indecisive and impotent due to infinite layers of bureaucracy and corruption, but somehow within 10 minutes of discussion the Senate manages to vote in emergency powers for palpatine.

lol what? you just said the reason why the GAR was ratified; Palpatine had emergency powers lol

as far as the GAR being created in the first place, the whole point of it was to show how far the Jedi had lost their vision; Yoda even said that them not being able to see the creation of this army was a huge oversight and loss of foretelling for the Jedi, it was all in there if you cared to pay attention

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 06:21 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

One of two possibilities, imo.

1.) Dooku and Palpatine(but mostly Dooku, given that he was one of the wealthiest beings in the galaxy) put up the capital to fund the Army.

2.) Sifo-Dyas/Dooku(acting on behalf of the 'Republic') took out a loan from the IBC to fund the program, and the Republic got stuck with the bill once the Army was complete.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 02:05 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Changed back to Thrawn, I see...

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 03:40 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thrawn is my waifu. thumb up

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 04:28 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Dooku was rich enough to fund a army of his own.

Pretty sure Sidious chipped in though.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 05:02 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Galan007
2.) Sifo-Dyas/Dooku(acting on behalf of the 'Republic') took out a loan from the IBC to fund the program, and the Republic got stuck with the bill once the Army was complete.
Would the banking clan just give two random Jedi a line of credit though?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 01:07 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If the IBC believed they were acting on behalf of the Republic, then I don't see why not?

The Jedi were frequently sent in as primary emissaries/negotiators who spoke directly for the Republic, after all. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 9th, 2020 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 07:57 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by relentless1
lol what? you just said the reason why the GAR was ratified; Palpatine had emergency powers lol
Read what I said. Palaptine being granted emergency powers as quick as he did is nonsensical.

Given how dysfunctional and bureaucratic the Republic is allegedly supposed to be, the decision to grant Palpatine emergency powers and start a galaxy-wide war should have taken weeks of heated debate and political impasse. Somehow, the Jedi manage to receive Obi-Wan's message, debate it internally, forward it to Palpatine, show it to the Senate, come to the conclusion that assuming control of this shadow army that no one has any idea of where it came from (and was in fact built on a planet that is not even part of the Republic) and use it to orchestrate a intergalactic war is the only course of action, get into contact with the Kaminoans and authorize them to mobilize the army, send it to Geonosis while rendezvousing with the Jedi on the way there, all within at best 2 days?

quote:
as far as the GAR being created in the first place, the whole point of it was to show how far the Jedi had lost their vision [/B]
And? What does that have to do with the in-universe sequence of events not making sense.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 10th, 2020 at 05:44 AM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2020 05:32 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote