KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Subtitles for Wookies

Subtitles for Wookies
Started by: Mortanius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mortanius
Just begin again

Subtitles for Wookies

They didn't use subtitles for Chewbacca in the OT, but this movies deals with hundreds of them. And Yoda is supossed to communicate with them. Perhaps Yoda will do all the talking, kind of like Han did with Chewbacca and C3P0 did with R2 in the OT.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 05:03 AM
Click here to Send Mortanius a Private Message Find more posts by Mortanius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Decimator

it will be interesting to see how the situation is handled , maybe yoda will take a protocol droid with him to kashyyyk

Many many thanks to Sir Mist for the Kick-A** Sig ! big grin

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 05:09 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Decimator a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Decimator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

simple

the commanding wookies will understand basic

he will comunicate with them in english, and the wookies will
grunt/howl in response.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 05:17 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Huma

quote:
Originally posted by PVS

he will comunicate with them in english, and the wookies will
grunt/howl in response.

Of course, but what I think the issue is, is us understanding them. am I correct?

In the face of lantern light, Tonight my destiny lies.
This day so hallowed, from here to forever its will I will follow.
Tonight will come to life.
Deadened branches stirred by the whispers in the wind.
Fall Children fill the streets at dusk, at last, it all will begin...

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 05:39 AM
Click here to Send Huma a Private Message Find more posts by Huma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mortanius
Just begin again

bingo

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 05:42 AM
Click here to Send Mortanius a Private Message Find more posts by Mortanius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

we dont need to understand them,
just as we never needed to understand chewie,
but at the same time we kinda know what he was saying,
because of the situation.

there is no reason for wookie dialogue. i think yoda will simply
talk to the wookies, or order them, they will respond with grunts, and nothing more, as was the case with han solo.\

plus...yoda is 900 years old...maybe he learned to understand wookie language in that time.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 05:57 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
waynerobsonuk
Death Star Programmer

I've always been intrigued to find out what the actual lines spoken were for chewie in the OT. I know there is a part in the DVD's [one of myt favorite parts]. I just wish I knew.

Wayne...

www.DashDotSlash.net

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 11:43 AM
Click here to Send waynerobsonuk a Private Message Find more posts by waynerobsonuk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I hope there aren't any subtitles. We never needed them in the OT.

You always knew what Chewie was saying by the reactions and comments that Han and Luke made.

Less is more Lucas, but you've obviously thrown that phrase out the window.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 01:32 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bartman99

"when 900 years you reach, talk wookie language you will"

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 01:38 PM
Click here to Send Bartman99 a Private Message Find more posts by Bartman99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Huma

quote:
Originally posted by Bartman99
"when 900 years you reach, talk wookie language you will"

haha, funny. I don't think they will have subtitles. I hope they don't. Their language is to undefined with barks, grunts, and growls to really be translated that well. Know what I mean?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 07:28 PM
Click here to Send Huma a Private Message Find more posts by Huma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

There's no need for subtitles. Just look at how it was with R2-D2 and Chewie, it worked allright even without any form for translation.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 07:33 PM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

RUUWARRRRRGHH!!!!

( Translation )

I agreewink

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 09:54 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
waynerobsonuk
Death Star Programmer

quote:
You always knew what Chewie was saying by the reactions and comments that Han and Luke made. Less is more Lucas, but you've obviously thrown that phrase out the window.

Nah I'm just a nosey person laughing out loud I would like to know the exact wording. Course it's not needed and is fine as it is, and it probably benifits from not being translated but I can't help being a nosey git laughing out loud

Wayne...

www.DashDotSlash.net

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 10:04 PM
Click here to Send waynerobsonuk a Private Message Find more posts by waynerobsonuk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbabb
radical thinker

simple, they will talk in basic jk lol

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 03:36 AM
Click here to Send darthbabb a Private Message Find more posts by darthbabb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

Why cant they use a translator that translates basic, NA! forget it, that would suckstick out tongue

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 04:09 AM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Decimator

has anyone seen on the sw extras dvd i think during the empire of dreams doc they show peter mayhew actually sayin his lines in costume on set from ep IV when chewie has a line than han says "boy you said it chewie" then to luke "where did u dig up that old fossil" , did that make sense ?? does anyone know what im talkin about or see that in the documentary ?? i cant remember what peter said exactly it was just funny to hear words coming out of chewie

Many many thanks to Sir Mist for the Kick-A** Sig ! big grin

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 07:31 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Decimator a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Decimator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
waynerobsonuk
Death Star Programmer

yeah thats what made me think of knowing what peter mayhew said as chewie. Makes me wonder what the original scripted lines were.
I think he said something along the lines of "him being a crazy old man" but I prepare to stand corrected.

Wayne...

www.DashDotSlash.net

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 01:07 PM
Huma

If wookies spoke common that would be alittle to Planet of the Apes for me. Im fine with their non-translated jibberish. :-)

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 02:42 PM
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

It's just that these new Star Wars films DON'T let your imagination run wild these days.

What I mean is, we are spoon fed everything. There's more exposition, more in-you-face CGI that there's very little room for letting the audience's imagination run wild. It's a main factor as to why some people hate the PT with a passion.

At least having Wookies just growl, with no subtitles, would at least let the audience's imagination have a crack at what's going on.

It's a strange thing that n00bish kids these days would prefer in-your-face instant satisfaction with all that CGI crap, and then moan about the OT about being more basic, while the older generation are actually being the imaginative ones, prefferring the OT's nonchalant approach to the adventure - instead of being told everything, shown everything, and having everything being explained like in the PT.

Keep Wookies non-subtitled. The only people who want subtitles are unimaginative bores who don't have enough brain cells to think for themselves.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 02:53 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
:.Space Opera.:
Restricted

Account Restricted

"It's a strange thing that n00bish kids these days would prefer in-your-face instant satisfaction with all that CGI crap, and then moan about the OT about being more basic, while the older generation are actually being the imaginative ones, prefferring the OT's nonchalant approach to the adventure - instead of being told everything, shown everything, and having everything being explained like in the PT."

i think that it should be a good mixture of both .

ART is where the legend began...

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 03:51 PM
Click here to Send :.Space Opera.: a Private Message Find more posts by :.Space Opera.: Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote