KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » What mistakes did OBI-WAN KENOBI DO ?

What mistakes did OBI-WAN KENOBI DO ?
Started by: GCG

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
GCG
Red Bull

So eventually we all know that ‘Revenge of the Sith’ is about the rise of the Empire and the fall of the Jedi order. In all these threads we have discussed who becomes who and mostly about the consequences they have brought. In episode I we know that a young slave was found with a high midiclorian count in his blood and was thought to be the chosen one to bring balance to the force. Master Qui Gon Jin wants to train the boy but since he succumbs to Darth Maul (a being forged by the hatred forces of the sith). So instead he is trained by Qui Gon’s apprentice who becomes a Jedi knight , Obi Wan Kenobi.

We know that in ROTS anakin, seduced by the dark side, takes out a large number of Jedi. Why ?

Kenobi recklessly thought that he could be as skillful a master as Yoda. His mistakes had dire consequences for the galaxy.

Why does anakin feel betrayed by Obi1 ?

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 04:52 AM
Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SomeGuy57
Just Milk It

Its not so much that he feels betrayed but the Sidious makes him think that he has been betrayed.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 04:55 AM
Click here to Send SomeGuy57 a Private Message Find more posts by SomeGuy57 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Nefarus
Redi Knight

Oni-Wan loved Anakin like a son. They were together through all sorts of adventures and had a unique bond. However, he would always let that fatherly fear, as I call it, prevent Anakin from advancing. Sure, Anakin was physically powerful in many ways, but he was immature in other ways and Obi-Wan knew this. Obi-Wan meant the best for Anakin, but was never very good at showing it because the PT Jedi know little about the usefulness of emotion. Palpatine managed to convert Anakin to the darkside because he could feel Anakin's anger, and instead of telling Anakin not to express himself, he encouraged it. Of course, it was in a highly negative and evil way.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:04 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Nefarus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Nefarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Well one thing is, that there's a rule more or less, that if you are a Jedi Knight and kill a Sith lord, you get "promoted' to Jedi Master. As we all know, Anakin kills Dooku with relative ease(supposedly), and doesnt get the respect and promotion that he rightfully deserves. While I personally feel that he would have normally dealt with it, or wouldnt feel that way if Qui-Gon would have trained him, Sidious makes him feel like he's unappreciated or just pushed aside while other Jedis that Anakin is in fact more powerful than, are getting more reconigtion.

And i think OB1's problem was that he knew Ani was more powerful and gifted than him, so while his master, he always tried to "humble" Ani, which doesnt work. He's always like, " very good, my very young apprentice." ya know qlays making Ani feel insignificant. thats what i think from what ive seen and read.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:12 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NateDawgNT

u dont get promoted to jedi master when u kill a sith lord.
u become a jedi master when u take an apprentice, hence, MASTER
the sith hve been extinct for a millenia before sidious, so why would they ahve that rule?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 03:25 PM
Click here to Send NateDawgNT a Private Message Find more posts by NateDawgNT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

no, you become a master when the council says you are. Obi-wan is still a Knight in II. In ROTS, he is a master, because the council has bestowed this title upon him.

The mistakes Obi-wan made were more or less based on them both being victims of circumstance. Obi-wan was limited because there was so much going on. Usually, the Jedi faced things that could always be dealt with, diplomatic issues, easy fights against weaker oppoonents. Situations were one is able to point out the lessons along the way. The Clone Wars brought situations in which Obi-wan and Anakin would be seperated off and on for longer durations than usual, something that should not happen between teacher and pupil, master and apprentice. Also, all of the points Darth Nefarus made were very valid. The Jedi aren't supposed to get emotional, where as Anakin is driven by emotions. This is forbidden and looked down upon yes, but you also, as his teacher, need to allow him to feel in his own way. Accept him and he will be more understanding, and eventually come around to letting go of such emotions. That's why I've always felt that if Qui-gon had survived to teach Anakin, we'd have never seen Vader happen. Qui-gon was just the sort of teacher Anakin needed, free enough that Anakin would have been able to stretch a little and feel more free and accepted. I think around Obi-wan, Anakin feels judged. I don't think that Kenobi is judging him, I just think that Anakin knows how great Obi-wan is, that he always feels inadequate, thus fueling small criticisms into larger issues that Anakin takes to heart, which fuels his growing anger. The mistakes are on both ends of the stick. Its really just a bad combination in my opinion.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:22 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I seem to remember Palpatine saying "Master Kenobi" in Episode 2.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 03:15 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Falacerjedi
Force Lightning user IRL

He tried to teach Anakin how to use his lightsaber instead of teaching Anakin how to use his own stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 04:22 PM
Click here to Send Falacerjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Falacerjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I seem to remember Palpatine saying "Master Kenobi" in Episode 2.

He was just playing that "Humble old man" -play.

None around wanted to correct him, because he was just acting polite. And he was a supreme chancellor.

Anakin was also referred as "a master Jedi". However Padme made the thing clear soon enough afterwards.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

quote:
Originally posted by NateDawgNT
u dont get promoted to jedi master when u kill a sith lord.
u become a jedi master when u take an apprentice, hence, MASTER
the sith hve been extinct for a millenia before sidious, so why would they ahve that rule?

so when you graduate college with a MASTERS degree you have an apprentice? I know thats not the same thing, but you get the title as a result of MASTERing something. Whether it be Jedi skills or whatever. And yes it has been said that destroying a sith, bumps you up to Jedi Master, because you obviously have the skills needed to do so. I heard GL say it himself, im just not sure if it was on the film commentary or on the bonus disc, either way i know i heard it.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 08:24 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

I think one of Anakin's biggest gripes against OB-Wan involve his not being there when his mother was attacked. Just a thought of mine.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 11:04 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

another one i would be thinking of is the fact that Obi-1 was knighted after Qui-gon's death, a death that anakin always postponed for his Master by saving his life countless of times.

a logical conclusion anakin could draw

" I am better than Obi-1 ; he let his master die and i always saved his life. He became a Jedi Knight and is now a General and i am still being mocked for my dexterity and my daring moves with the force "

Anakin could feel that his master is hindering his development of the force and could feel threatened by betrayl of a friend

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 11:29 PM
Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cylob49
Restricted

Account Restricted

obi wans biggest mistake was not telling luke that leia was his sister after the hologram message was played on tatooine

couldve been messy.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 08:07 PM
Click here to Send cylob49 a Private Message Find more posts by cylob49 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eXSBass
Kill the nOObs!

Re: What mistakes did OBI-WAN KENOBI DO ?

quote:
Originally posted by GCG

He had an affair with Padme resulting in Luke and Leia. He screwed up Anakin's life. So no, Obi Wan never did tell them who their father was. And anyone who says it is Vader is officially wrong due to substantial evidence of panties, bra's and Jedi sexual grooming oil. This new twist in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith will now allow George Lucas and associates to make a new trilogy explaining the events of Luke and Leias fall to the Dark Side against Obi Wan.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 08:50 PM
Click here to Send eXSBass a Private Message Find more posts by eXSBass Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bmw2002

It comes down to a young man with a lot of emtional issues who gets taken advantage of, and eventually manipulated by the forces of evil.

This arc reflects society today. We don't pay enough attention to those who have tough exteriors but fragile emotions. If Anakin diddn't have OBI...he'd have a quicker ride to "hell".

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 09:20 PM
Click here to Send bmw2002 a Private Message Find more posts by bmw2002 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

so u are saying that Obi was a good friend but failed to read into his emotions ?

Old Post Nov 19th, 2004 12:11 AM
GCG
Red Bull

If true, that Obi-Wan sneaks aboard the Naboo skiff of Padme or that she sneaks onto Obi-Wan's craft, (the point is that he allows himself to be seen by anakin on Mustafaar with the presence of Padme) may be one of his mistakes.

He indirectly contributes to padme's death by aggreveating the circumstances when he meets Anakin as Darth Vader for the Final Showdown.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 11:37 PM
kimmeh
vixen

I'm with JP...the only mistake I see is not letting Ani go help his mom. But I dont really view that as Obi's 'mistake'. He was following the code he'd been taught all his life. I honestly dont think Obi would have ever been able to concieve that something like love could lead to such horrendous ramifications. Other than that, I dont see that Obi made mistakes. They were all victims of circumstance & Obi did way better than most at staying true to himself & his beliefs.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 11:50 PM
Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

In ESB, on Dagobah, Obi speaks to Yoda:

Yoda: He is reckless

Obi-Wan: So was I, if you remember

isnt that an admission to mistakes ?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 12:01 AM
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

His mistakes also lead to the balance of The Force..............

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 12:08 AM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote