KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The great Lucas?

The great Lucas?
Started by: KharmaDog

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

The great Lucas?

I know some people revere this guy and think he's a great director, but I saw ROTS last night and just have to shake my head. Cool effects, some neat consepts, but this movie was so poorly directed I think many a film student could have done better.

The whole Kashyk (or however you spell Chewie's homeworld's name) scene seems that it was only thrown in there so that SW fans could see the Chewbaca character and foster some lame sense of continuity. If Chewie was such a chum of Yoda, I find it odd that there was no mention of it as his new friends Luke and Obi Wan didn't even register in his little wookie brain .

There were many other plot holes (which have been discussed o death), but what gets me is how a director can get actors like Liam Neason (I know he wasn't in this movie, just trying to make a point), Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Christopher Lee and Samuel L. Jackson and have them deliver such card board performances and cheesey lines. These people are great actors and they really seem to dumb down their performances for these movies.

Hayden Christensen is a crummy actor (and a bit of a dick in person) so I expect it of him. But How did George squander the talent of the others so?

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:54 PM
Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Ok, considering most everyone seems to disagree on all the points you made.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:55 PM
Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

You honestly think all those actors performed even close to half of their potential? As for continuity and plot I think quite a few people have raised questions about that.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:14 PM
Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

I think you just like to comlain....

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:16 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

There's critiquing and then complaining.

Doesn't anyone think that these actors could have done better, or do you feel that you have to support a movie you like no matter what?

I didn't say that I did not like the movie, I am just upset that it was not close to what it could have been. There were some pretty dramatic parts in the story that were left pale by the acting that occured in them.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:22 PM
mephistodesigns

I think the dialogue could have been A LOT better. I think the actors did the best they could given the material they were given. Lucas has admited he's not to great with dialogue.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:24 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gambit420
Ultra Member

I think Hayden's acting greatly improved, as for the rest........... embarrasment

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:25 PM
Click here to Send gambit420 a Private Message Find more posts by gambit420 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

We weren't expecting this movie not to have flaws. Yes it had flaws but so does every other film that was ever made. I just learn to except them.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:30 PM
Click here to Send The New History a Private Message Find more posts by The New History Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

definetly. Best Hayden scene: Trying to convince Padme to come with him, to rule. He sounds like the whiney teen from AOTC, then when he realizes he's been betrayed and sees Ben, his voice just DROPS and his WHOLE demeanor changed. That was awesome. Did anyone else think Sam Jackson really sucked in these films? Like did he even try to sound like a jedi? or is he just Jules in robes with a shaved head?

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:30 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
definetly. Best Hayden scene: Trying to convince Padme to come with him, to rule. He sounds like the whiney teen from AOTC, then when he realizes he's been betrayed and sees Ben, his voice just DROPS and his WHOLE demeanor changed. That was awesome. Did anyone else think Sam Jackson really sucked in these films? Like did he even try to sound like a jedi? or is he just Jules in robes with a shaved head?

How can you even compare jackson's performance from pulp fiction to this? The director gets out of an actor the performance that he commands or inspires. Some directors take mediocre actors and pop them up a notch, others take talent and suck the life out of it.

Jackson has been in a tonne of films and his performances are usually quite awesome. I agree with you that he sucked in these films, but the blame does not rest soley on his shoulders. McGregor's and Portman's performances were stinkers too. Yet look at their performances in trainspotting and garden state respectively.

That what I was trying to get to originally. Look at the talent he had, and look what he got out of them. I think it's a valid point.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:40 PM
mephistodesigns

I agree, I was just making the point that he was a little to "him" to be mace. He just yells at everybody. LIke Chapelle said,"No I can't stop yellin, this is how I talk. Ain't you never seen none of my movies?" Now granted, its normally really good, but as Mace it didn't work. They needed someone more along the lines of Larry Fishburne, who's soft spoken Morpheus came off much more wise and powerful because of his NOT being loud and boisterous. Mace just didn't seem like a Jedi Master to me. he was rude, not terribly compassionate. Look at every other jedi with a speaking part (I know, short list). Ki-Adi-Mundi, Yoda, Qui-gon, Obi-wan...all soft spoken, thoughtful, wise. Sam just came off as smart mouthed and impatient.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:44 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

With that I agree. But once again, that's Lucas' job of reigning that in. Samuel Jackson has more depth than that, I think he just cruised through the part, but that seemed good enough not to be cut on the editing room floor.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:57 PM