KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Luke CAN'T be that strong of a jedi

Luke CAN'T be that strong of a jedi
Started by: Vanquish

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mossman
Some people think Luke was very well trained and very powerful at the time of ROTJ, but I totally disagree.

What do you mean by power?
What is true "power"?
I think you are missing the whole point of the saga here.
"Wars not make one great"

I could honestly give a shit whether EU says Luke is the strongest ever.

I agree.

The movies clearly paint him out to be a farm boy with little or no real Jedi skills.

Well, if by "the movies" you mean half of ANH, then I might entertain
your unique standpoint.

I mean the kid had to actually throw the rock to close the gate on that monster.

LOL

Any other half way decent 10 year old Padawan would simply have used the force to toss the rock at the control panel. But not douchebag Luke. He had to pick it up, aim, and throw it and hope like hell he hit it.

He's a far more human hero, that is his power.

He's a tool, and Vader could have sliced and diced him in roughly 3 seconds if he wanted to.

I take it you've never watched ROTJ any futher than the Rancor bit then - I recommend you do...
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Never mind what you think 'true' power is; this question is about how powerful a Jedi he is. And the answer is- he's not a very good at all, because his training is only just done at the end of ROTJ.

In terms of potency, Luke can't actually do anything at all over than convince his father to kill the Emperor.

'Wars make not one great' is simply Yoda being glib. Yoda's ability in war is sitll demonstration of his power- he's just saying that isn't the underlying reason, and for all its 'not greatness', war destroyed the Jedi and gave the Sith power.

Indeed, the whole point is that Luke achieves despite his lack of power. But only in that his purpose is to open the doors for someone else to act.

Other than that he is whiny, impulsive and not that bright.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 21st, 2005 04:38 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

buut he hs somthing that obi-wan saw perhars it was his father

Old Post May 21st, 2005 10:13 PM
Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkNemesis
Uber Dark Lord

Agreed, ush

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." (Thanks TRiNiTYfemi for the sig!)

Old Post May 22nd, 2005 01:36 PM
Click here to Send DarkNemesis a Private Message Find more posts by DarkNemesis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mossman

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Never mind what you think 'true' power is; this question is about how powerful a Jedi he is. And the answer is- he's not a very good at all, because his training is only just done at the end of ROTJ.

Well if you put it like that - He beats is old man, the chosen one, into submission.
He is a powerful Jedi.
That is why Palpatine has his eye on him in the first place.

Even if you specify that the question asks how "powerful a Jedi" he is, I think my comment stands - you still must establish what critera you use to decide what constitutes a "powerful Jedi".

If you think being a powerful Jedi is just about owning people, then fair enough.
Luke's record is lost one, won one, and match abandoned.
There are better and worse records in the SW canon.
If you think it is just about saber skills, then, yeah - Lucas has explained how all we see in the OT is old cripples and semi-trained boys fighting.
But I don't believe for a minute that you all think that there is nothing more to being a powerful Jedi than deadliness and efficiency with a saber.

Ultimately, Luke is also everything the Jedi of the PT should have been.
He is the first and only Jedi to be trained by a Yoda who finally had it sussed, thanks to Qui-Gon Jinn.

I'm not saying Luke was the "most powerful" Jedi - that league table is irrelavent and doesn't exist.
But who from the PT could have achieved what Skywalker acheived?
Which other Jedi would have thrown down the sword?
It was not luck - it was what he had learned form Obi and Yoda.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 01:42 PM
Click here to Send mossman a Private Message Find more posts by mossman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

him beating the chosen one means absolutely nothing, moss! Being the chosen one doesn't mean he is invunerable, will never die etc. he is good yes, lots of potential but he isn't god, he's just another human

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 04:15 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

He's the chosen one, yes, but the force works in mysterious ways.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 04:21 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by mossman
Well if you put it like that - He beats is old man, the chosen one, into submission.
He is a powerful Jedi.
That is why Palpatine has his eye on him in the first place.

Even if you specify that the question asks how "powerful a Jedi" he is, I think my comment stands - you still must establish what critera you use to decide what constitutes a "powerful Jedi".

If you think being a powerful Jedi is just about owning people, then fair enough.
Luke's record is lost one, won one, and match abandoned.
There are better and worse records in the SW canon.
If you think it is just about saber skills, then, yeah - Lucas has explained how all we see in the OT is old cripples and semi-trained boys fighting.
But I don't believe for a minute that you all think that there is nothing more to being a powerful Jedi than deadliness and efficiency with a saber.

Ultimately, Luke is also everything the Jedi of the PT should have been.
He is the first and only Jedi to be trained by a Yoda who finally had it sussed, thanks to Qui-Gon Jinn.

I'm not saying Luke was the "most powerful" Jedi - that league table is irrelavent and doesn't exist.
But who from the PT could have achieved what Skywalker acheived?
Which other Jedi would have thrown down the sword?
It was not luck - it was what he had learned form Obi and Yoda.

Everything the PT Jedi should have been? Are you joking? He is whiny, impatient, and comes close to falling to the Dark Side. He is a troubled and inefficient Jedi, and there is nothing wrong with the PT equivalents! The only Jedi he is better than in that sense is Anakin, which is not saying much!

He has a lot of potential but is only a half-trained boy who ultimate achives one thing in not going quite as bad as his father did. That is not displaying much outright power or, really, THAT much inner strength or wisdom- because he lacks in those.

Such hero worship for Luke is odd. He's a flawed hero who just manages to not turn bad, not a paragon of virtue. Like I say, the dramatic point is that he succeeds despite his failings, unlike Anakin who was consumed by them.

Just about every single Jedi from the PT could have done the same- they didn't have the failings to begin with. Much more boring dramatically, but it is still so.

And as said- beating the Chosen One means nothing in that sense.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 23rd, 2005 at 05:02 PM

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 04:56 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

btw, mossman, you'll have to watch the EpI DVD again, I think it's in one of those 20 little docs where GL says (or something like that):

"This is the hayday, the golden age of the jedi..."
and (and this is not literally, just what he was getting at):
"We've seen crippled men and old machines (yes, in plural for some reason) fight and young boys that learn from these men but we have never seen a full jedi knight in his golden age fight."

so it's clear that when it comes to fighting Luke is rather poor in it

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 08:32 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Mader
Dark Sith

Only in rotj he is weak but many years after he is powerful and wise

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:47 PM
Click here to Send Lord Mader a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Mader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Yes infact if Luke was a pre-war jedi he would have been on the council,hes more powerful the Kit Fisto and Ki Adi Mundi

Old Post May 24th, 2005 04:27 PM
Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ObiJohnKenobi

Originally posted by yodafan
BUT there is one thing, if Sidius is so powerful why didn't he turn on his lightsaber in ROTJ and slice luke into little pieces. He should have sensed that Vader would turn on him, after all even Luke was able to see the future in TESB.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness," said Luke to the Emperor before the fight began on the new Death Star and Yoda says in ESB, "Always in motion is future."

Last edited by ObiJohnKenobi on May 24th, 2005 at 04:54 PM

Old Post May 24th, 2005 04:51 PM
Click here to Send ObiJohnKenobi a Private Message Find more posts by ObiJohnKenobi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
obi-one killer
Try-Mega

true the emperor was ove confident and did not expect to be killed that was one of his downfalls.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 05:20 PM
Click here to Send obi-one killer a Private Message Find more posts by obi-one killer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

his shatterpoint was his trust in vader as said by Mace Windu in the EpIII novel

Old Post May 24th, 2005 05:23 PM
yerssot

Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
Yes infact if Luke was a pre-war jedi he would have been on the council,hes more powerful the Kit Fisto and Ki Adi Mundi

wow, the council is lousy then

that statement can only be true if he has enough potential and got trained by decent masters (and not cripled ones)... though I have yet to see anything in the movies to convince me he's a strong jedi messed

Old Post May 24th, 2005 05:47 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by yerssot
wow, the council is lousy then

that statement can only be true if he has enough potential and got trained by decent masters (and not cripled ones)... though I have yet to see anything in the movies to convince me he's a strong jedi messed

you wont in the movies but you will in the EU

Old Post May 24th, 2005 05:50 PM
obiwan633

he is to

when luke was born he was given the gift of strenght by the sith lord ruth who was pleased with lukes father for turning to the dark side ,so he gave his son the gift of strenght ,as a thank you

Old Post May 26th, 2005 11:16 AM
Click here to Send obiwan633 a Private Message Find more posts by obiwan633 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
admiral ackbar

oviously if you were a true fan of star wars u would realise that beeing the one who is ment to bring balance to the force, the force is already very strong in luke. that is why he learns the ways of the force so quickly. by posting a thread like this you are only showing your own ignorence.

Old Post May 26th, 2005 11:20 AM
Click here to Send admiral ackbar a Private Message Find more posts by admiral ackbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

errr... hold the ignorence. Luke isn't the one that brings balance to the force, anakin does it. Luke is just the catalyst to do it.

Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
you wont in the movies but you will in the EU

yeah, but EU doesn't cut it when compared to movies wink

Old Post May 26th, 2005 05:56 PM
Kpag3030

Originally posted by Vanquish
I don't know what it is about people misquoting me all the time. For those who can't read very well, this isn't a discussion about whether Luke becomes powerful in NJO or anything like that when he is older. I clearly said:

Some people think Luke was very well trained and very powerful at the time of ROTJ, but I totally disagree. That is what the thread was meant to discuss.

I could honestly give a shit whether EU says Luke is the strongest ever. The movies clearly paint him out to be a farm boy with little or no real Jedi skills. I mean the kid had to actually throw the rock to close the gate on that monster. Any other half way decent 10 year old Padawan would simply have used the force to toss the rock at the control panel. But not douchebag Luke. He had to pick it up, aim, and throw it and hope like hell he hit it.

He's a tool, and Vader could have sliced and diced him in roughly 3 seconds if he wanted to.

I think a major point is getting missed in this thread... I'll give you that his combat training is quite possibly lacking, but in the final Vader fight, Luke doesn't want to hurt his father, and Vader is conflicted over his kid. Each wants to turn the other over to their side. In my opinion, having seen the movie 100 times, both were holding back in that fight. Luke tries to not fight multiple times and is extremely confident the whole time. It isn't until the Emperor provokes Luke that he finally lashes out and takes Vader down. Vader didn't seem to have an answer for this. I'd say, his training was adequate, and the training he did on his own, along with his meditations prepared him for that final battle. Excellent force instincts and a balanced mind... And holds a balance of light and dark within himself. Could he Stand up to Jedi in their prime from the clone wars era? Who knows. He's not as polished, but he is effective.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2016 08:33 AM
Click here to Send Kpag3030 a Private Message Find more posts by Kpag3030 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kpag3030

Sorry... It's when Vader says he'll turn his sister to the dark side that sets Luke off. Lol.
Originally posted by Kpag3030
I think a major point is getting missed in this thread... I'll give you that his combat training is quite possibly lacking, but in the final Vader fight, Luke doesn't want to hurt his father, and Vader is conflicted over his kid. Each wants to turn the other over to their side. In my opinion, having seen the movie 100 times, both were holding back in that fight. Luke tries to not fight multiple times and is extremely confident the whole time. It isn't until the Emperor provokes Luke that he finally lashes out and takes Vader down. Vader didn't seem to have an answer for this. I'd say, his training was adequate, and the training he did on his own, along with his meditations prepared him for that final battle. Excellent force instincts and a balanced mind... And holds a balance of light and dark within himself. Could he Stand up to Jedi in their prime from the clone wars era? Who knows. He's not as polished, but he is effective.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2016 08:53 AM
Click here to Send Kpag3030 a Private Message Find more posts by Kpag3030 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote