KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » That first Breath

That first Breath
Started by: Arbiter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
freefly
Buzz

Except that it was George who dropped out not Spielberg

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 12:52 PM
Click here to Send freefly a Private Message Find more posts by freefly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

quote:
Spielberg says Lucas never gave him the opportunity for any Star Wars, though he's been interested. I don't think his directing style would bring anything to the saga; he's never made a film set off Earth or outside regular human history. Kershner and Marquand were on the set with the actors because Lucas couldn't be there, then - he was dealing with the big producing picture, writing, running his new empire. They both had heavy instruction from him about what the films are about, and what they are supposed to achieve. Not every director can do that, deal with a heavy producing hand. Indiana Jones, Lucas and Spielberg were absolutely 50-50. Star Wars, SS wouldn't even be given the whole picture and have to ask Lucas continuous questions, like Marquand did.
The other two finalists for the ROTJ job were David Lynch and David Cronenberg. Lynch dropped out, said he couldn't deal with so many instructions.

How can you say SS would make a bad director for star wars, I think he would have done a very good job directing. He would have known which scenes were very important and which scenes needed more dialogue.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 03:21 PM
Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Scooby doo: "Did someone say SS?"

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 03:33 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by El_NINO
How can you say SS would make a bad director for star wars, I think he would have done a very good job directing. He would have known which scenes were very important and which scenes needed more dialogue.

I'm saying his style isn't compatable with the style Lucas had established with the first film, onward. The panavision frames composed with Kurosawa-like statleness, the constant-crosscutting between multiple characters and plots - his style is to follow one character or a small group in one place at a time.
Interestingly, with ROTS, the rerelease of THX-1138 and thinking back to American Graffiti, Lucas has shown to be less sentimental and more prone to ambiguous, harsh realities than Spielberg - who's films, no matter what hell the charcters go through, almost always end happily. How could he direct Anakin to cause the death of his wife and the Jedi order? Evil isn't supposed to win!

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 04:01 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

I agree.
Just look at the scene Spielberg did direct. FREAKING HORRIBLE!!!

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 04:12 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

Remeber though, GL wasnted SS to direct ROTJ, but because of all the problems with the Directors guild, GL left, and that meant if SS wanted to direct a star wars film, he would have to leave too, and he choose not to. I think it would have been great if he had done one movie.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 08:48 PM
Click here to Send vader519 a Private Message Find more posts by vader519 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

If Lucas really wanted to direct ROTJ, he would have. He was still in retirement from directing. Did Richard Marquand leave the Director's Guild to direct ROTJ?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 08:56 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote