KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Was Mace Windu Darkened by the Dark Side?

Was Mace Windu Darkened by the Dark Side?
Started by: jeremiahbllfrg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jeremiahbllfrg

1 of the pivital moments, specifically Mace Windu (played by Samuel L. Jackson) declaring that "I am going to end this war once and for all", that the Chancellor/Sith is "too dangerous to be kept alive". The fear and slight rage in his voice suggest, as well as with a tinge of pride he shows after bringing the Chancellor to the ground suggests that Mace Windu has become possessed with some of the Dark Side himself.

Is this due to being in the presence of concentrated evil? Is it
because he is dark skinned himself that he is more comfortable with
the term "dark side"? (I hear he also likes dark meat). Also, according to our geek files, Mace Windu uses a lightsaber style called Vapaad which takes its user close to the darkside. He developed it with Master Sora Bulq (see Darkhorse Clone Wars Volume 2, our in house geek thinks). He perhaps had to tap deep into Vapaad to defeat Palpatine in saber combat, and that may have turned him to the darkside somewhat. And speaking of Dark side, how unenlightened is it for the Jedi Council to send Padawan Skywalker, whom they don't fully trust and am not sure of (due to the confusion and fear they sense in him) to spy on and/or monitor Chancellor Palpatine whom they also don't fully trust? Unwise, this seems. I wouldn't be surprised if Mace Windu might have even learned
some funky Sith dance in some late night Cantina.

It seems Chancellor Palpatine lost in duel with Windu intentionally,
knowing Skywalker was on his way to arrive at the pivitol moment to
"rescue" him and plunge into the dark side. It seems like Windu was
just a pawn in the game.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 11:44 PM
Click here to Send jeremiahbllfrg a Private Message Find more posts by jeremiahbllfrg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

I dont think that Mace was tapping into the darkside myself. And the council sent Anakin because the thought Palpatine trusted him. As far as wheter or not Palpatine "let" Mace win, there are quite a few threads on that very topic you should eb able to find using the search function. smile

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 11:48 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

We''l likely never know for sure.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 12:26 AM
Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

IMO Palp's lost to Mace fair and square. Mace's Vapaad style brought him close to the DS in the first place. After almost being electrocted by a "defeated" Palpatine, Mace probably just thought, that "he was too dangerous to be kept alive." And he was right, he was. He had the one chance to destroy the Sith, once and for all this time...really. That seems more like profound logic and common sense to me, than the Dark Side.

And the Council sent Anakin to spy on Palps because there was not one other Jedi who Palpatine apparently trusted, so Anakin WAS the only option.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 12:38 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Next Venom_girl
Scream

quote:

Must... resist... bad... joke.....

Girls Kick Butt!Respect Venom|Respect Black Canary|Respect Namor|Respect Hellsing|The Official Symbiote Thread&Picture Thread

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 01:51 AM
Click here to Send Next Venom_girl a Private Message Find more posts by Next Venom_girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Next Venom_girl
Must... resist... bad... joke.....

my thoughts exactly laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 01:56 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jeremiahbllfrg

Yes, secretly, Mace believed that black is beautiful. He was spooked by his own turmoil. Any more bad jokes? SW has enough in it's script which has been sat mourn cartoon-like since 1983.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 02:33 AM
Click here to Send jeremiahbllfrg a Private Message Find more posts by jeremiahbllfrg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Taranis
Angry Gorilla

Well, technically speaking, I don't believe that he ever turned to the Dark Side. And by that, I mean that he never let his emotions control him, such as Anakin's lust did in the third movie. Indeed, he needed to take advantage of his emotions to make use of his Vaapad style of lightsaber combat. The key part of what made Vaapad such a powerful and dangerous (both to enemies and practitioners) was how it both employed and controlled these emotions which might be subject to being classified under the dark side of the Force. It was similar to Form V, with the exception that with Djem So, you could let your emotions go rampant on the enemy (as you see Anakin do in the duel between him and Dooku), as opposed to Vaapad in which you use your emotions to both attack and defend. In order to keep the concentration and discipline needed to practice the form, however, Windu would have to keep them on a tight leash. So while he uses these emotions to their advantage, and they do dance on the thin line between light and dark, the use of them never truly makes Windu dark. He had the sort of discipline needed to keep these emotions in check. You don't get a seat on the Council just for kicks. :P

This isn't to say that it is not possible for a Jedi practicing Form VII to fall to the dark side, but Windu was the co-creator of the Vaapad fighting style. I think he would have control over his creation, not the other way around. But to the short of it, no, I don't think he turned to the dark side during that fight.

Oh, and it was a very, very rare thing for a Jedi to ever consider killing an opponent. However, in the case of Sidious, who was the master to both Maul and Tyranus, I think that the Council would have understood Mace's killing of the quite possibly the very last Sith.

Last edited by Taranis on Jan 7th, 2006 at 03:16 AM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 03:13 AM
Click here to Send Taranis a Private Message Find more posts by Taranis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mtryder

No, Mace never turned to the Dark Side. It didn't happen. Perhaps he was tempted by it, but so was literally *every* other Jedi to *ever* live. Nothing groundbreaking there. And while Vapaad puts its user into a state that nears something resembling the dark side, that is a pretty crucial difference from actually being tainted by it.
That he said Sidious was too dangerous to be kept alive proves nothing. After all, Yoda agreed (I don't think he went to Sidious' office to tango...), and who's going to try to argue that Yoda was tainted by the Dark Side? And I dunno about you, but I forgive Mace a little exhiliration after coming out victorious against the most skilled saber duelist he ever fought, particularly when the killing of said duelist would basically represent the end of the Sith line.
This reminds me a bit of the thread that wondered if Qui-Gonn was planted by the Sith. Both theories, if you dig deeply enough, can be somewhat supported, I guess, but just... no. It doesn't work. It's completely out of line with both characters. Mace wasn't the #2 guy on the Jedi council for nothing.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 05:56 AM
Click here to Send mtryder a Private Message Find more posts by mtryder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Hypothetical Council meeting, consulting Mace on his unarmed attack on Palpatine:

Yoda: "Take this matter lightly, the Council does not."

Mace: "I AM the Council!"

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 06:28 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Taking it a step further...

YODA: Take this matter lightly, the Council does not...
MACE: I AM the Council.
YODA: Not yet.
*Lightsabers ignite, Yoda screams like the little green midget he is and leaps on Mace*

Wooo.

Anyways, I find this thread ridiculous. He's half trying to argue that Windu might be Dark Side, and make a stupid joke.

In Star Wars- movies, at least- it is pretty damned obvious who is good and who is evil. Mace Windu, a Jedi, is good, and therefore, not evil, or even vaguely mean. It was a climactic moment, he had just fought a vigorous duel, and he was about to kill an unarmed man, of course he's going to be a bit intense.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 09:30 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ermac_Master
Ninja

Re: Was Mace Windu Darkened by the Dark Side?

Originally posted by jeremiahbllfrg

Hahahahaha. Oh man.....

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 01:18 PM
Click here to Send Ermac_Master a Private Message Find more posts by Ermac_Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Originally posted by Tangible God
Hypothetical Council meeting, consulting Mace on his unarmed attack on Palpatine:

Yoda: "Take this matter lightly, the Council does not."

Mace: "I AM the Council!"

LMAO.

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 02:07 PM
Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth_shady

Smile Re: Was Mace Windu Darkened by the Dark Side?

i think the jedi council sent anakin to spy on palpatine to use anakin as apawn in the game they were playing against the chancellor.they used anakin pure n simple.firstly th jedi knew anakin was close to palpatine and secondly the jedi knew that anakin was desperate to prove himself in their eyes ....to the level of spying on his mentor.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 02:37 PM
Click here to Send darth_shady a Private Message Find more posts by darth_shady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth_shady

Re: Was Mace Windu Darkened by the Dark Side?

Originally posted by jeremiahbllfrg
1 of the pivital moments, specifically Mace Windu (played by Samuel L. Jackson) declaring that "I am going to end this war once and for all", that the Chancellor/Sith is "too dangerous to be kept alive". The fear and slight rage in his voice suggest, as well as with a tinge of pride he shows after bringing the Chancellor to the ground suggests that Mace Windu has become possessed with some of the Dark Side himself.

Is this due to being in the presence of concentrated evil? Is it
because he is dark skinned himself that he is more comfortable with
the term "dark side"? (I hear he also likes dark meat). Also, according to our geek files, Mace Windu uses a lightsaber style called Vapaad which takes its user close to the darkside. He developed it with Master Sora Bulq (see Darkhorse Clone Wars Volume 2, our in house geek thinks). He perhaps had to tap deep into Vapaad to defeat Palpatine in saber combat, and that may have turned him to the darkside somewhat. And speaking of Dark side, how unenlightened is it for the Jedi Council to send Padawan Skywalker, whom they don't fully trust and am not sure of (due to the confusion and fear they sense in him) to spy on and/or monitor Chancellor Palpatine whom they also don't fully trust? Unwise, this seems. I wouldn't be surprised if Mace Windu might have even learned
some funky Sith dance in some late night Cantina.

It seems Chancellor Palpatine lost in duel with Windu intentionally,
knowing Skywalker was on his way to arrive at the pivitol moment to
"rescue" him and plunge into the dark side. It seems like Windu was
just a pawn in the game.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 02:38 PM
Click here to Send darth_shady a Private Message Find more posts by darth_shady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DDanDevious
number one in da hood G

mace is just a bada$$... if he wants to kill a fool, he can do that. His intention was to end the sith once and for all, as opposed to say, killing his master to become "the master"

just real quick off topic, did you notice that in the VS mode on the Episode III game, if you choose mace, when the round starts he says "I will strike you down with great vengence" a quick nod to Jules in Pulp Fiction. word.

DDD

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 05:16 PM
Click here to Send DDanDevious a Private Message Find more posts by DDanDevious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ermac_Master
Ninja

Originally posted by DDanDevious
mace is just a bada$$...

That's why it's my name.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 06:17 PM
Click here to Send Ermac_Master a Private Message Find more posts by Ermac_Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Mace was an insensitive arrogant cocky prick, not evil.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 11:41 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

^^ Exactly

Mace in no way had anything to do with the darkside in Canon. EU may be different (I wouldn't know I dont read EU) but in the movies, hes good. He's just not very smart.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jan 8th, 2006 01:20 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Wait, but I thought that because his saber was purple it meant he was half good and half bad (blue + red = purple)... Which would mean someone with a green saber would be half good and half Simpson (blue + yellow = green), right? That's follows the logic of EU doesn't it?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2006 01:29 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote