KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Lack of actual tactics in many rts's

Lack of actual tactics in many rts's
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lack of actual tactics in many rts's

Many rts's such as command and conquer seem to suffer from a complete lack of realism and the lack of actual tactics. Basically, command and conquer is an economy simulation game: you spend more time building up your base than actually fighting, which is strange because it makes absolutely no sense that you can magically create a power plant in 6 or so seconds.

What generally determines victory and defeat is how well you build up your economy and what forces you deploy. Actually firing on the enemy however requires absolutely no tactics. So let's say that you have 4 tanks, and you want to attack the enemy's 1 tank and 5 infantry. You'd simply click and drag your units and tell them to attack the enemy...and that's about it. Once the firefight starts, you usually just ignore it and go back to base construction, because there's no point in actually directing your units. They will just stand there and fire at each other, and whoever has the superior firepower will always win. No point in flanking, ambushing or anything. Just stand there and shoot at eachother.

Has anyone else noticed this? That is why I like games such as the Total Wars series, which actually make tactics matter.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 10:59 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Try Company of Heroes or Dawn of War II.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 11:00 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

You WILL have to micromanage your units if you want to play on a competitive level.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 11:01 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well Command and Conquer has always been based on speed and reflexes more than strategic thinking. Though Red Alert 3 alleviated that a bit by adding more abilities that you need to use in order to be effective, you have to actually pay attention to what your units are doing.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 11:05 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, but that still isn't very tactical: it only involves clicking a special ability button. Command and Conquer doesn't seem to have a very realistic feeling and doesn't take into account a lot of things such as elevation, morale, etc...so battles are very bland and just involve dragging a box around a bunch of dudes and right clicking on the enemy.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 12:03 AM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Yeah, but that still isn't very tactical: it only involves clicking a special ability button. Command and Conquer doesn't seem to have a very realistic feeling and doesn't take into account a lot of things such as elevation, morale, etc...so battles are very bland and just involve dragging a box around a bunch of dudes and right clicking on the enemy.

Pretty much.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 12:22 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's not meant to be realistic. Though you are simplifying what goes into playing that game effectively. Watch high level players in Red Alert 3 or something, it's a lot more than just clicking a special ability randomly and dragging a box around some of your units. Their speed is amazing. It basically comes down to who can click the most in the shortest amount of time who wins.

But no, you're right, they certainly aren't the most strategic games out there, more action than anything, really. As said, based on speed and reaction time and hand eye coordination than tactical forethought.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 01:53 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I never thought RTS's had anything to with actual tactics.

For tactics, I would think the tile based war games would be it. If anybody who used to have PC Gamer before 2007 would remember the Desktop General who reviewed and talked about tile based war simulators.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 02:47 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Seriously, both games I mentioned are much more tactics-focussed. DoWII doesn't even have any base building.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 07:43 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Would you even considering DoWII as RTS anymore?

I just played the demo so I'm not privy of what the entire game is but it reminded me of Diablo alot more than a RTS.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 04:03 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Company of Hero is actually a pretty excellent RTS game. Interesting single player, and the multiplayer requires alot of tactics as well. You don't have too many units, and have to shelter special units such as snipers in different spots and buildings for them to be effective, as well as defend and take the most important points. You could even blow up bridges to deprive your enemy of a pathway.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 04:11 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, I've played CoH religiously.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 05:44 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Smasandian
Would you even considering DoWII as RTS anymore?

I just played the demo so I'm not privy of what the entire game is but it reminded me of Diablo alot more than a RTS.

Single player, definitely not- sheer tactical game.

Multiplayer is still RTS enough to count.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 06:10 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I never played online in CoH.

I don't know why I never play online RTS's. I thin I get too overwhelmed.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 07:36 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I have always found enormous satisfaction in teaming up with friends against AI opponents- so long as the AI is any good, which is DoWII's biggest issue for me right now.

Though DoWII has a co-op mode for the main campaign too.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 07:42 PM
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Total War series is also really good...it would be cool if they could CORRECTLY make a Total War game in modern times.

It's just strange that games involving you commanding an army don't actually take into account that well how you lead your armies...and can somebody tell me how you can build a refinery in thirty SECONDS? Or how you can train a squad of "well trained" GDI infantry in 3 SECONDS? 3 seconds is about the time it takes for the recruits to walk into the horribly unaccurately sized barracks and maybe look around the room, only to hear "3 seconds is up time to go!".

I know that games aren't supposed to be realistic, but...

Last edited by Hewhoknowsall on Jul 18th, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2009 12:40 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

The Total War series is also really good...it would be cool if they could CORRECTLY make a Total War game in modern times.

It's just strange that games involving you commanding an army don't actually take into account that well how you lead your armies...and can somebody tell me how you can build a refinery in thirty SECONDS? Or how you can train a squad of "well trained" GDI infantry in 3 SECONDS? 3 seconds is about the time it takes for the recruits to walk into the horribly unaccurately sized barracks and maybe look around the room, only to hear "3 seconds is up time to go!".

I know that games aren't supposed to be realistic, but...

do u really want to wait hours

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 18th, 2009 01:47 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by jalek moye
do u really want to wait hours

yeah...

most strategy games are supposed to last about 15-20 minutes. if every soldier took 2 minutes to create the game would last an hour because a huamn being dies pretty easily... i dont really see what youre getting at. it takes months for a soldier to be trained so how would you condense that in a video game?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2009 03:25 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hes getting at the fact if things in gaming were realistic in training times, build times etc it would take weeks/months/years for buildings to be built lol...

Although I would also say COH for tactics, its the only obvious one. CoH for tactics, Supreme commander for strategic.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2009 08:12 AM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know that if they are to have base construction on the battlefield, then yeah it would have to be condensed, but it would also be nice to have a turn based Civilization style overworld and an RTT style battlefield, like some games like Total War series, Endwar (sort of), Empire Earth 3 (but according to reviews not that well), and some other games have.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2009 01:36 PM