KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Violence/Do Video Games Corrupt?

Violence/Do Video Games Corrupt?
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Julie
The Student

Do video games corrupt?

I just did a report on this and I was wondering your thoughts concerning video games and the "negative" effects they can have on people.
Why do people complain about video game violence so much?
Do you think games like GTA3 are a bad influence? Are they acceptable or not?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:08 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

they do not currupt, bad parents do.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:09 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

what about a combo of both...

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:13 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

nope, video games have nothing to do with the violence in the real world. there were violence before video games, there will be violence after video games. the 2 things have absolutely nothing to do with eachother.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:14 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

why do you think there is so much violence in "violent" video games?
DO you like Halo, GTA, star wars games....etc

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:16 AM
BackFire

well a game with violence will obviously be violent. yes i like halo and gta, not a big fan of star wars games however, on the othe rhand, i love zelda and mario and games with no violence at all. violence is in games like gta simply because games like that strive for realism, and if you're a real criminal stealing cars and what not. hten violence will be in the game.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:18 AM
BackFire

also, in games like gta, you have lots of freedom, which is the main draw of that game, you can do WHATEVER you want, and if the player wants to buy a hooker then run her over, he can, the game doesnt force the player to do those things in that game, its the players choice. and as far as halo goes, its a shooting game, meaning things will get shot.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:20 AM
Julie
The Student

true....Halo's awesome...and I'm shocked that not everyone loves star wars games:-)
j/k
I never personally played GTA, but I heard a lot of neg stuff about it when doing my research.
ANyway, that stupid project is overwith now so yeahhh

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:33 AM
BackFire

the people who say negative things about gta are fools. gta is a great game with an amount of freedom that is completley mind blowing.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:37 AM
Julie
The Student

I see...I probably wouldn't agree, but since I haven't played it I shall reserve judgment....
as for other games....Halo is just cool ...except for that darn level where you fight all the crazzy little things that have heads and looks like spiders...* shudders*

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:41 AM
BackFire

no one can debate the FACT that GTA is a damn good game, regardless of its violence level or not.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:42 AM
Julie
The Student

whoa....down....
and BTW yes people can debate...it they do....and I don't think they have a thing against "goodness" of the game...they don't like the violence level...the immorality and such...
what about RPGS...aren't they just as freedom filled?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:44 AM
BackFire

no they arent, most rpg's dont allow you to do whatever you want to whoever you want. and people who say a game is bad because of the violence know absolutely nothing about games or what makes them good. id actually love to see wha twould happen if the people who want to destroy all violent games got their wish, and all violent games were gone for a month, and the violence in the world didnt change at all, id be interested to see who or what they blame next.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:47 AM
Julie
The Student

I don't think that would ever happen...interesting thought though.
Some people aren't so much against "violence" some target immorality and such too

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:49 AM
BackFire

which is just as stupid.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:50 AM
Julie
The Student

I gather you disagree...from that lovely comment.
That's ok....in this instance I'll agree to disagree with you...

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 01:53 AM
BackFire

its silly to single out video games when movies and tv have just as much violence and immorality in them.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 02:00 AM
Julie
The Student

oh I'm sure people have enough to say about those too....you know they like to cover everything....if there aint anything to complain about...they must invent something to complain about

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 02:02 AM
BackFire

which is exactly what has happened, there is nothing logical to complain about so they decided that video games is the easiest target of blame.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 02:03 AM
Julie
The Student

well I wouldn't say the easiest......besides there are a relatively few people who devote large amounts of time to either critizing or defending video games

Old Post Apr 21st, 2003 02:07 AM