KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » When did Metallica start going bad?

When did Metallica start going bad?
Started by: Norma Jean

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Norma Jean
Restricted

Account Restricted

When did Metallica start going bad?

I think it started stinking around the days of Re-Load. It got worse with Garage Inc., and then got bettter with S&M (even though it was mostly remakes). But they officially went crap with St. Anger.

Any other opinions?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 07:43 PM
Norma Jean is currently offline Click here to Send Norma Jean a Private Message Find more posts by Norma Jean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

What you said.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 07:53 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PRO-PAIN
PAIN...PRO-PAIN

They started going to shit when they put out the black album...

And Justice For All and everything before was great...

The black album and everything after sucked ass...

MY DVD COLLECTION UPDATED 4/24/05

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 08:23 PM
PRO-PAIN is currently offline Click here to Send PRO-PAIN a Private Message Find more posts by PRO-PAIN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Black Album was/is great.

They never got "crap". Metallica are still better musicians than most of the artists out at the moment. They haven't lost talent, just album making ability it would seem.

Actually, I liked Load. I think St. Anger was good, better than Reload. I dunno where everyone gets this idea that they're crap now just because you don't like St. Anger.

They're not gonna make another Master of Puppets, deal with it. If they were killed tomorrow in a bus or plane crash you'd all be kicking yourselves. So you don't like the past album/couple of albums, no need to write off the whole band.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 08:28 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

They're just running through a dry/experimental patch IMO

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 08:30 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Screw "MoP", I think their best album is "...and Justice For All".

IMO, they started losing their vision/touch AFTER "The Black Album", which was still groove heavy.

"St. Anger" is just messy. Their songs are all over the place, don't flow, and they were trying to cash in on a trend while trying to find themselves musically, which was a fatal error. Not that their album sales suffered, thanks to zombified Metallica fans, however, their music cred and perception sure as hell did.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 08:34 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jordanb

Happy Dance Woo metallica are all commercialized now, hey made st.anger in like an hour in a studio just so they could release an albumn, i blame james hetfield...kirk rools! wooooooooooooooo

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 08:39 PM
Jordanb is currently offline Click here to Send Jordanb a Private Message Find more posts by Jordanb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Norma Jean
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The Black Album was/is great.

They never got "crap". Metallica are still better musicians than most of the artists out at the moment. They haven't lost talent, just album making ability it would seem.

Actually, I liked Load. I think St. Anger was good, better than Reload. I dunno where everyone gets this idea that they're crap now just because you don't like St. Anger.

They're not gonna make another Master of Puppets, deal with it. If they were killed tomorrow in a bus or plane crash you'd all be kicking yourselves. So you don't like the past album/couple of albums, no need to write off the whole band.

-AC

I never once mentioned their talents. They are still amazing musicians, but St. Anger is a big flop.

I like Load too. Load is much better than Re-Load, Garage Inc, and St. Anger. I shouldn't even really count S&M, seeing as how its all remakes of their older and better stuff.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 08:43 PM
Norma Jean is currently offline Click here to Send Norma Jean a Private Message Find more posts by Norma Jean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

After the Black Album it all went downhill

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:03 PM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

There have been 4 albums since The Black Album.

Load, Reload, S&M and St. Anger.

Load was good, Reload had two...maybe three songs good, S&M ruled, St. Anger was sub par with some up moments.

Like I said, don't understand where this dramatic decline occured.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:11 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by SlipknoT
After the Black Album it all went downhill

most definitely

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:23 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I don't understand why people don't like The Black Album. I always think of The Black Album as the last of their brilliance.

I don't consider Black Album to be the "start of something bad", it's more like "the last of the good".

Everything AFTER Black Album, then.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:28 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

thats what we meant...the black album is magnificent...and everything since has been complete guff

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:33 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That would be true if everything after had been complete guff, hasn't though.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:42 PM
benx
Sinster follower

load kill them....

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:46 PM
benx is currently offline Click here to Send benx a Private Message Find more posts by benx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
That would be true if everything after had been complete guff, hasn't though.

-AC

well...i think it has been...but then...i've changed alot since then too...i guess me and metallica just went our separate ways

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 09:50 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, bands have a habit of doing what they want for themselves not what their obsessive, "we think we own you" fans want.

Damn them eh?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 10:01 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

well its a bit nasty to basically stick 2 fingers up to the people who put you where you are

but i was far from obsessive about it...the fact is i couldn't have cared less...i just didn't buy the albums...and i went on to listen to other stuff

i am about to make a statement that if you disagree with then to put it quite simply...YOU ARE WRONG AND YOU ARE RETARDED

metallica's cover version of whiskey in the jar by thin lizzy was totally ****ing dire and should be condemned to the firey pits of hell for all eternity

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 10:12 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

They became business oriented, which is even worse than "selling out". They had absolutely no reason to "experiment" with their music, IMO. What's with making a movie about their "struggles"? Who gives a shit? How goddamn stubborn, self-absorbed, and down right SHAMELESS can they be? They are making money hand over fist exploiting their naive, selfish "struggles", and pretty much revelling in the fact that everyone that bought a movie ticket or DVD, their money is going to sober up a gang of has-beens, laughing all the way to the bank.

Besides, as strong a following as Metallica had, they know that they could make ****ing polka music and it would still sell, just because their diehard, and subsequently mindless, fans would still buy it, regardless.

Must be nice to know you've got more power over others than you have over yourselves.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 10:12 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"well its a bit nasty to basically stick 2 fingers up to the people who put you where you are"

Oh...oh sorry. I was unaware that they got their talent from their fans.

Metallica "fans" are too hypocritical. Buy all their shit, support them, then when they get rich and famous, you wanna complain.

"They had absolutely no reason to "experiment" with their music, IMO."

Everyone said the same thing to Radiohead after they made OK Computer, everyone walked away from Radiohead coz they didn't approve of the new direction. They too thought that Radiohead would do what THEY wanted out of fear of fan loss. You know what Radiohead did? They said "It's our music. We do what we want with it, don't like it? **** you. Willing to turn your back on us for a decision we make? Then you're no fans anyway and we don't need you." They then continued on their path to being one of the world greatest ever bands.

It's their music, not yours. They can do whatever they want with it.

People need to stop telling Metallica that they have no right to do something when it's the fans who have no right to shit on their "favourite band" when they make a decision they don't like. Metallica aren't going out and selling clothes or shoes, they're not in commercials. The made a DVD, that's it. If you go to see the movie then you've got no right complaining because it just shows that you're interested in what they made the movie about anyway. They didn't compromise their integrity, they didn't lose credibility universally. They lost the acclaim of certain people.

"Besides, as strong a following as Metallica had, they know that they could make ****ing polka music and it would still sell, just because their diehard, and subsequently mindless, fans would still buy it, regardless."

Exactly and they'd still complain because they believe that being "die-hard" gives you some magical right.

The only Metallica fans I know that hate the band are the ones from this forum who have some weird delusional sense of entitlement and need to get over it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 24th, 2005 at 10:35 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 10:32 PM