KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Favorite Console RPG(s)

Favorite Console RPG(s)
Started by: kruegerKid

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

Tongue Favorite RPG(s)

The point of this thread is to find out what everyones favorite RPG is and why, (Role playing games for ACTUAL consoles not the ones on here) if they actually have one.

My favorite RPG(s) is the Final Fantasy series, mainly those before FF 7. In my opinion, the best ones are 4 and 6. I say I prefer the older ones because the gameplay was much better, granted the graphics weren't the best but with superior gameplay one hardly notices.

The characters were even better developed in the older games, for example, Cecil from FF 4 and Terra from FF 6 had in depth explainations of who they were and where they came from. Terra from FF6 even had a playable journey through her and her parents memories, thats what I call extensive.

I think it is sad that there are people out there calling themselves Final Fantasy Fans when the first time they even heard of the game is when it turned mainsteam with the production and release of FF 7. It takes more than a flaky story and overrated characters to appeal to me. I will however admit that the "extras" and voiceovers introduced were cool.

What bothers me the most is that Squaresoft keeps changing how the characters gain new abilities and magic, it went from buying spells, to choosing jobs, to leveling up and learning certain things depending on the character, to materia, then drawing magic, and then the "infamous" sphere grid.

I think the best and only way a character should learn spells and abilities should be dependant on who they are and when they level up. For example, a white mage or healer should only be able to learn white magic, same goes for a black mage, they should only be able to learn black magic. Knights should not learn spells unless they are Paladin's, in which case, they should only be able to learn a limited amount of white magic. Thieves should stick to stealing and that's it, well I'm sure by now you get the point.

Anyways...yeah just let me know wink

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Last edited by kruegerKid on Jul 10th, 2003 at 10:21 PM

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 10:18 PM
kruegerKid is currently offline Click here to Send kruegerKid a Private Message Find more posts by kruegerKid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You mean computer-based RPGs. I'll edit the thread title.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 10:23 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

No consoles, I'm not a fan of Computer Gaming.

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 10:28 PM
kruegerKid is currently offline Click here to Send kruegerKid a Private Message Find more posts by kruegerKid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Same thing, pretty much, the important point is to distinguish it from more traditional role-playing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 10:36 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TedO
Nightmare All His Own

I agree with you. I have always been a die-hard Final Fantasy fan, including the Final Fantasy Legends on the gameboy. Final Fantasy 4 was my fav, the best storyline of all the FF series, as well as the best way to aquire magic (which was mentioned in your post).

Although, I also loved Chrono Trigger. It was a great story line as well, and I loved traveling through time and gathering characters to join you. Plus Magus was one of my favourite playable characters in any video game.

Breath Of Fire was alright, but nothing extremely special. Good enough for me to sit through it all.

But FF4 is my personal favourite.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 11:21 PM
TedO is currently offline Click here to Send TedO a Private Message Find more posts by TedO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

You're right Tedo, Chrono Trigger was great, mainly because you could travel through time but also because you could end the game whenever you wanted. Once you returned from the past the first time you could go ahead and fight Lavos. This was a true test of your skill.

Also as far as Magus is concerned he was cool although it sucks if you chose to fight him because then he dies and never joins you. I thought Chrono Cross was a major flop. It sucks that you can only go into a alternate reality and not in time. That kind of ruined it for me.

Oh and Breath of Fire was O.K but I believe thats all Ide give it.

....I see we like the same one...the best part was the adventure to turn Cecil from a Dark Knight to a Paladin YAY!!! Don't forget 6 though Terra was awesome and Shadow, lets not forget a playabl MOG hurray!

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Last edited by kruegerKid on Jul 10th, 2003 at 11:39 PM

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 11:37 PM
TedO
Nightmare All His Own

6 was okay... although the whole materia bit wasn't something I enjoyed. I mean, not everybody should be able to summon monsters to the battle field, even if it is only once. But the storyline was at least respectable, which is more than I can say for the newer fantasies.

I haven't played Chrono Cross. I jsut picked up a PS1 used for cheap, so maybe I'll have to check er out. It was voted as a better RPG... but then again the same people gave FF7 a 10 when all I deserved was a 6 or less.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 11:53 PM
TedO is currently offline Click here to Send TedO a Private Message Find more posts by TedO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

um I think you're confused, 7 had materia, 4 and 6 were psx remakes that were originally 2 and 3 for snes so please don't mistake them. 7 sucked and materia is a horrible system.

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:08 AM
ObieTrice 26
no nacho for you!

i always liked the legend of zelda series,although i was dissapointed with windwaker when it went anime atyle, but the gameplay was still good despite the cartoony look.i think A link to the past was the best zelda game of all

"Sometimes you feel tired,feel weak,when you feel weak,you feel like you wanna just give up.But you gotta search it within you ,find that inner strength and just pull that s**t out of you and get that motivation to not give up and not be a quiter no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face" -Eminem

"This rap game,this rap game,i aint selling my soul for this rap game,i aint digging no hole for this rap game and i'm telling you no,it aint happening"-50 Cent

"about to lose it all in a pool of alcohal,if my funeral's tomorrow,I wonder would they even call,When the music stops"-Kon Artis of D12

R.I.P Tupac

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:15 AM
ObieTrice 26 is currently offline Click here to Send ObieTrice 26 a Private Message Find more posts by ObieTrice 26 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

I agree completly, that and the original one for NES were the best. The second one for NES was horrible though. Same goes for the N64 versions, the first was good but the second was horrible. Hey at least the makes are consistant lol

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:18 AM
ObieTrice 26
no nacho for you!

didnt Link used to have brown hair and not blonde?

"Sometimes you feel tired,feel weak,when you feel weak,you feel like you wanna just give up.But you gotta search it within you ,find that inner strength and just pull that s**t out of you and get that motivation to not give up and not be a quiter no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face" -Eminem

"This rap game,this rap game,i aint selling my soul for this rap game,i aint digging no hole for this rap game and i'm telling you no,it aint happening"-50 Cent

"about to lose it all in a pool of alcohal,if my funeral's tomorrow,I wonder would they even call,When the music stops"-Kon Artis of D12

R.I.P Tupac

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:22 AM
ObieTrice 26 is currently offline Click here to Send ObieTrice 26 a Private Message Find more posts by ObieTrice 26 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

i believe so...hmm been awhile since i played.

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:24 AM
ObieTrice 26
no nacho for you!

ya, the N64 versions sucked.in OOT, u should've gotten all 3 pieces of the triforce, and MM didnt even have anything 2 do with the triforce, and getting the triforce was basicly the whole point of the series

R.I.P Tupac

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:30 AM
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Zelda Oot is one of my fave games of all time along w/ lttp and super metroid! Zelda isn't RPG though, and I guess I love Zelda so much cuz I never played the originals. embarrasment

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:35 AM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

zelda is role palying it just has a "real time" battle system instead of being turn based.

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:40 AM
Darth Vicious

I for one like the Zelda series, if a new one comes out i have to play it and beat but i admit that the original Zelda for NES it took me forever to beat, i also like Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger, Lunar and im looking forward to a new Yu-Gi-Oh!! RPG thats coming out soon and while im at it i also like the Metal Gear series and any good survival games(Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame(this game is too creepy) but i admit that as im older i play less and less!

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:41 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

final fantasy 3(6) is the best game of all time. chrono trigger is also close behind.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:41 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

Thats what Im saying BF, oh and don't forget Suikoden guys..great rpg, all three of them (1 and 2 on ps one and 3 on ps2)

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:44 AM
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

quote:
Originally posted by kruegerKid
zelda is role palying it just has a "real time" battle system instead of being turn based.

Wind Waker isn't though, it's far to short to be RPG, it's only RPG, if you do all side-quests, otherwise it's less then 10 hours.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:50 AM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kruegerKid
NOES Expert

It si a RPG, I've played some short ones as well the genre is given because of what the game entails not because of how long it is. Most RPG's are long though, mainly 30+, I'll give you that much.

--Final Fantasy Addict--

Old Post Jul 11th, 2003 12:55 AM