KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » So this is how liberty dies — to thunderous applause

So this is how liberty dies — to thunderous applause
Started by: bobafett81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bobafett81

Worried So this is how liberty dies — to thunderous applause

From Newsweek:

It's hard not to feel that Lucas's engagement with this story has a contemporary urgency, as line after pointed line invites us to see a parallel with today's wartime climate.

As the Senate cedes power to Palpatine under the guise of intergalactic security, Natalie Portman's Princess Padme exclaims bitterly, "So this is how liberty dies—to thunderous applause."

------------------------------

I find it totally cool for George Lucas to draw this parallel with current situation in USA, where the people has ceded too much power to President Bush under the disguise of national security.

I'm sure more movie critics would realize this subtle resemblance to modern world politics.

Old Post May 8th, 2005 06:47 PM
Click here to Send bobafett81 a Private Message Find more posts by bobafett81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Plagueis
The Wise-Ass Sith Lord

Yeah, but Americans are content with having a dark lord of the sith for a president. It's Darth Cheney we've got to watch.
stick out tongue

Old Post May 8th, 2005 06:55 PM
Click here to Send Darth Plagueis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Plagueis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

Where is there any thunderous applause in today's world events?

John 3:16 ^Thanks Ast Rofan^

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:04 PM
Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

*plays the Imperial March combined with Hail to the Chief*

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:05 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

stupid.....correlating todays world events and george bush to revenge of the sith is a pretty far stretch of imagination to say the least. Its shows how far down the tiolet partisan politics can bring you

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:11 PM
Click here to Send moviejunkie23 a Private Message Find more posts by moviejunkie23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Politics is not allowed in this forum

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:19 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bobafett81

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lazerlike42

Well, I watched your State Of The Union on CNN early this year, and I remembered all the "thunderous applause" accompanying standing ovations....

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:19 PM
Click here to Send bobafett81 a Private Message Find more posts by bobafett81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

yea because george bush shoots lightning from his hands and uses the darkside of the force to cloud peoples minds so he can take control of the galaxy. Perfect fit.

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:25 PM
Click here to Send moviejunkie23 a Private Message Find more posts by moviejunkie23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

You do realize by saying George is Palps you are also saying he is one of the coolest villains ever and can act really well stick out tongue

"Jesus also thought that non-believers should be stoned"------Alliance

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:34 PM
Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

There is always applause during state of the union. It is just tradition. It doesn't matter who is the President or what he does.... mickey mouse could get up there and say he wants to legalize child slavery and he would get a thunderous applause.

John 3:16 ^Thanks Ast Rofan^

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:42 PM
Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Plagueis
The Wise-Ass Sith Lord

Wait 'til May 19th!!

Old Post May 8th, 2005 07:43 PM
Click here to Send Darth Plagueis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Plagueis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

Pleae, the Patriot Act is EXACTLY like the chanellor's emergency powers. Racism and fear in the guise of security. And congress is happy to approve it, even lengthen it! The war in Iraq, yeah, like the Clone Wars, a nice destraction while the most powerful 1% continues to bend us over and have at it, no lube. We (the US) tell everyone what they will do or we threaten to invade. Gee, that doesn't sound like the Empire. We essentially take over places, "help" set up new government, government that will do as we see fit, and then we move along. Yeah, no Imperial connection there. Wake up America, you're losing your rights more and more day by day, through things like the FCC, the Patriot Act, its all in your best interests, all to protect you from having to think for yourself.

Old Post May 8th, 2005 11:48 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Obi-OneManShow

Mephisto, respect... always nice to meet an American with eyes...
(btw i'm not trying to unleash a political flamewar here)

Burn them down!! The lot of them!!

Old Post May 8th, 2005 11:51 PM
Click here to Send Obi-OneManShow a Private Message Find more posts by Obi-OneManShow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

i think no matter where you go leadership is corrupt to whatever degree. America is no more different than anywhere else, and i would definatley live under Bush's rule than say Castro, who is a REAL dictator. You live off rations given to you by the government in cuba, pretty nice huh? Yea in America you can say anything thats on your mind, tolerance twoards otehr people is stressed, and America gives foriegn aid to countries constantly. I think America has become the big boogie man and allot of the reasons are built with straw men. Sure America has its awful blemishes, but what country doesn't? If you want to get technical leaderships for human beings for the most part are tyranical, lets not just pick on Bush because its the popular thing to do. Who should we relate Tony Blair too? Darth vader because he is helping the emporer (Bush) get done what he wants after being suckered in to siding with him?? laughing Common this is stupid.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 12:16 AM
woman_beater69

Laugh

If you look at it like that the terrorists could be mirror images of the jedi.......

..................right

Okay, I'm wondering if this is supposed to be either critical or complementary, because not only does Palpatine just beat the crap out of the opposition but we end up rooting for him in the end.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 12:50 AM
Click here to Send woman_beater69 a Private Message Find more posts by woman_beater69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Plagueis
The Wise-Ass Sith Lord

Now everyone is all serious about this! You can imagine real-world parallels all you want, and yes, they seem to fit..BUT Episode 1 and the overall political plot of all 3 prequels, was written in 1997!!!! 1997!!! BEFORE 9/11, BEFORE this current 'war' in Iraq, BEFORE all of the parallels mentioned above! Ergo and therefore, it is either coincidence or Lucas is psychic. I'm going with coincidence.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 02:23 AM
General Zink
Bane

There is always applause during state of the union. It is just tradition. It doesn't matter who is the President or what he does.... mickey mouse could get up there and say he wants to legalize child slavery and he would get a thunderous applause.

That warrants extreme laughter, if you ask me... laughing out loud

Old Post May 9th, 2005 02:25 AM
Click here to Send General Zink a Private Message Find more posts by General Zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

Originally posted by woman_beater69
If you look at it like that the terrorists could be mirror images of the jedi.......

..................right

Okay, I'm wondering if this is supposed to be either critical or complementary, because not only does Palpatine just beat the crap out of the opposition but we end up rooting for him in the end.

exactly jedi's are religeos types, people that kill in the name of allah are religeos types as well. They say that Allah is with them. Jedi say they are with the force.
hhhmmmmm
well now that we figured out bush in the emp and religeos zealot terorists are jedi i think i am gonna change my name to Movie Ali and start helping to fund islamic terrorist cells since in fact, they are only fighting against an evil dictator, wich is a righteos cause

Old Post May 9th, 2005 02:37 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Let's see, instances in which a Chancellor has taken emergency powers and dominated a Republic, creating an Empire...

Sounds like the Third Reich. You're all off. GL, just like his Indy trend, is anti-Nazi and it shows. Now for the next dark threat...

Attachment: darthitler.jpg
This has been downloaded 155 time(s).

Old Post May 9th, 2005 02:53 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

Originally posted by Darth Plagueis
Now everyone is all serious about this! You can imagine real-world parallels all you want, and yes, they seem to fit..BUT Episode 1 and the overall political plot of all 3 prequels, was written in 1997!!!! 1997!!! BEFORE 9/11, BEFORE this current 'war' in Iraq, BEFORE all of the parallels mentioned above! Ergo and therefore, it is either coincidence or Lucas is psychic. I'm going with coincidence.

That's what makes it scary, as McCallum said when asked about these parallel's 'George is simply telling the story of how dictator's come to power and the public hands over their rights, any parallel's to today's events are purely coincidental', which he said very tongue in cheek.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 03:30 AM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote