KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman and Superman family at Marvel?

Superman and Superman family at Marvel?
Started by: whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Superman and Superman family at Marvel?

I was going to post this on my site but simply not enough of you are going there (your loss). I felt though even my non fanclub members needed to read thisbig grin

From Newsramabig grin

Quiet for the past few years, the focus in the Superman copyright case has shifted from Superman to Superboy, and the battle for the right to Superman is joined by a Shuster.

With the bubbling finally coming to a boil, there have been several recent developments in the matter regarding the rights to Superman, and his creators (represented by their heirs and in one case, widow). Long-time Newsarama readers will recall that in 1998, the widow and daughter of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel filed paperwork terminating the transfer of copyright for Superman that the creators made to DC Comics. Reportedly, the Siegels were in negotiation with DC in regards to the rights, and those negotiations were never settled, and the rights to Superman are still in dispute.

Now, add the boy. The Superboy, that is. According to various sources, Joanne Siegel and Laura Siegel Larson filed paperwork to terminate the transfer of copyright for Superboy. The paperwork was filed in November of 2002. Given the mandatory two years’ notice, the termination will be fully effective on November 17, 2004.

The case made for Superboy dates back to the early ‘40s, when Jerry Siegel created and submitted the idea of a Superman spin-off, Superboy to DC Comics. DC did not act to publish or further develop the character until Siegel was drafted into service in World War II, a time during which, Siegel often stated, he in no way could protect his interests in the character(s) he’d created.

While both Siegel and Shuster had come to feel extremely disenfranchised by DC over the course of Superman’s career (neither ever received an accounting o f how much revenue the character brought in for DC throughout the ‘40s), the creation (with no credit given to him) of Superboy was too much for Siegel, who filed suit against DC, and won in 1947, with the judge in the case stating that DC Comics acted illegally (DC claimed that Superboy was in reality, simply Superman, and was therefore the same character created by Siegel, and the creator was owed nothing).

While the court agreed with Siegel and Shuster, the creators sold the rights to the character back to DC for $100,000 (given that the court ruled Siegel to be the creator, the sale was in fact, a transfer of the copyright). The Siegels have moved to terminate that transfer of copyright, which will take effect in November.

As Newsarama has reported on extensively, the termination of the transfer of copyright was added to Copyright Law in order to protect creators, such as Siegel and Shuster, who had originally made disadvantageous deals regarding a property which was then exploited by another party. 56 years after the assignment, creators have a five year window to file for the termination of said transfer. In the case of Superboy, the deal between Siegel and Shuster with DC over Superboy was made in 1948. 1948 + 56 = 2004.

And no, while their latter work does fall under Work For Hire statue, Superman itself does not, as it is well documented that Siegel and Shuster had created the character and brought it to DC, specifically Jack Liebowitz, at whom Siegel focused much of his anger in his later years, naming him specifically several times in his infamous 1975 “curse” press release, in which he outlined how he and Shuster had been mistreated by Liebowitz and DC for years.

So – back to Superboy.

What does this mean for the character (who currently appears in the occasional Superman comic and Teen Titans, as well as is the central character – in a sense – in The WB’s Smallville)? Perhaps not too much, as, technically (and legally), the termination of the transfer of copyright for Superman went into effect on April 16, 1999, and DC still publishes Superman comics, the character co-stars in an animated series, and Warner Brothers is moving ahead with a Superman film. Also, again, techincally, the current Superboy is not Superman as a boy (the character which the court ruled Siegel and Shuster created and owned), but rather a clone made up of Superman and Lex Luthor - a literal and fictional derivative of Superman.

Best case for the Siegels, DC settles, and pays them a fair amount for the rights to both, or agrees to the transfer and then licenses the characters from the survivors. Worst case for DC, the Siegels, unhappy with the slow progress to date over Superman, immediately move to take the matter to court, and get a ruling against DC who, technically, owes them ½ of the revenue generated by Superman since the termination took effect.

But wait – there’s more. When the Siegels filed their paperwork and the story broke, many wondered what about Shuster. While, like Siegel, Superman’s co-creator was dead, many assumed that he’d left no heir who could join with the Siegels. Remember – the Siegels had filed to terminate the transfer of copyright for Jerry Siegel’s portion of the rights, that is ½ of the rights to Superman, leaving DC with half. If there was a Shuster heir, together, the Siegels and Shuster heir could’ve filed to terminate the transfer to all the rights to Superman.

Well, there is. While leaving no children, Joe Shuster did have a sister, and now, her son, Mark Peary (the executor to Shuster’s estate) has filed for the same termination the Siegels have, with Shuster’s taking effect October 26th, 2013. By law, the same window that the Siegels’ used to file their paperwork reopens at 75 years. 1938 + 75 = 2013.

Now, what seemed to be a one-front war for the rights to Superman has been split. If DC does nothing, legally, in 2013, it will no longer hold the copyright for Superman (it will still, however, hold the trademark), as both the Siegels and the Shusters will have terminated their transfers.

If DC were to lose all of their rights in Superman (and all the pieces of the mythology created by Siegel and Shuster, including Metropolis), DC would lose the right to create any new derivative works, although they would keep the rights to existing derivative works.

Legal experts speaking to Newsarama opined that, if the case were to go to trial, the courts would most likely find in the heirs’ favor, given that there were no objections filed against the first notice of the termination of copyright transfer.

From the other side, and speculating a little, continuity could play into DC favor, with the publisher arguing that the “original” Superman, as created by Siegel and Shuster died during Crisis on Infinite Earths, although the heirs could easily counter that the modern version is a derivative of the original. In a burned earth approach, DC could simply, kill Superman – for real – and replace him with a lookalike, perhaps Mr. Majestic, who now resides in the Metropolis of the DCU. Move Majestic-Superman to a new city, but call him Superman (but not Clark Kent) and keep the look (components of DC’s trademark on Superman), and the entire issue is skirted.

While the case had been silent for years, it appears as if it will be gathering steam in the coming weeks and months, as Newsarama has learned that the Siegels and Shusters have signed a new lawyer to the case, one who is known for being very aggressive in the cause of returning property rights to creators, and has many successful court battles under his belt.

Keep the faithbig grin

Stay Whirly rock

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 01:48 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dawsey28

I didn't read all of that. You know, too many words... not enough pictures.

So does this have to do with Superman and Marvel?

Are you saying there is a possibility that Supes could be in the Marvel U?

I guess I should go back and read, huh?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 04:57 PM
dawsey28 is currently offline Click here to Send dawsey28 a Private Message Find more posts by dawsey28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Supes could end up anywhere, words are your friend Dawsey, don't be scared of thembig grin

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 05:29 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

where is this site you speak of??

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 09:01 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blair Wind
where is this site you speak of??

See the first post Blair

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 09:05 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

no you said you had your own site.....where?

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 11:26 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Its a joke kinda, I intend to have one, I didn't say it was up yetbig grin

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 11:34 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

bump

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 09:01 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

bump

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 07:33 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord-of-Dreams
pimpin member

... i guess i should say 'bump' too???? Meh, don't think I will...

So... Marvel Supes, eh? Sounds dumb. I expect that they would have him fight Wolverine and get chopped up, just for the publicity. Anyway, a lot of the readers would leave the Super-title. I would really like to see a Magestic-boy, though!! lol If I were DC, I'd just kill Supes and Bring in Magestic- as advised- but not make him a copy, I'd keep the same old guy, just amp his credit. Give him some huge appearances and all that. Make him bang WW...

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 10:11 PM
Lord-of-Dreams is currently offline Click here to Send Lord-of-Dreams a Private Message Find more posts by Lord-of-Dreams Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

I wouldn't mind Marvel doing Superman. As long as they didn't stick him, retroactively, into regular Marvel continuity. I'd like to see them start him over in an Ultimate title, or under the Icon imprint.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 10:29 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, not at all.

If Marvel tries this, EVEN IF IT'S LEGAL, I'll lose respect for them.

Superman is DC, fans know this everyone knows this, don't **** with history because you want more money.

Royalties are all that should be given, if anything.

Sometimes respect is worth more than money.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 01:29 PM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superherovandal
CEO of BS Comics Inc.

seriously i thought that Siegel sold Supes to DC. meaning he's theirs.

I am creator of all the master of all things BS. Bow before my mighty form!

Old Post Mar 27th, 2006 12:28 AM
Superherovandal is currently offline Click here to Send Superherovandal a Private Message Find more posts by Superherovandal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by long pig
No, not at all.

Superman is DC, fans know this everyone knows this, don't **** with history because you want more money.

Co-signed. Though I'd get a small guilty pleasure of them ripping DC's biggest icon out from under them.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2006 01:08 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheKahn
The Dude abides

Originally posted by long pig
No, not at all.

I can certainly respect that point of view, but personally I wouldn't mind it a great deal. I don't know if I feel like DC deserves to have Superman because of the crappy way they treated his creator (and their heirs) given the untold millions they have made off Superman over the years.

I think DC should do the honorable thing, give the heirs to the estates a fair amount of money, and settle this once and for all.

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Old Post Mar 27th, 2006 01:35 AM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

Originally posted by TheKahn
I can certainly respect that point of view, but personally I wouldn't mind it a great deal. I don't know if I feel like DC deserves to have Superman because of the crappy way they treated his creator (and their heirs) given the untold millions they have made off Superman over the years.

I think DC should do the honorable thing, give the heirs to the estates a fair amount of money, and settle this once and for all.

thumb up

I don't mind crossovers, but Supes should never be a permanent Marvel character. It's wrong. They would probably have him jobbing to Wolverine or Spider-man.

Marvel would probably rename Sentry as Superman.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2006 03:12 AM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quick Freeze
GLC Memeber

give them the heirs their money and let dc keep making supes stories duh

Make your own dream team here!

Old Post Mar 28th, 2006 04:43 AM
Quick Freeze is currently offline Click here to Send Quick Freeze a Private Message Find more posts by Quick Freeze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

DC hasn't had a problem, over the decades, buying out publishers and taking the characters for their own. Still, Superman going to Marvel would send an enourmous shockwave.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 28th, 2006 05:00 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
DC hasn't had a problem, over the decades, buying out publishers and taking the characters for their own. Still, Superman going to Marvel would send an enourmous shockwave.

Gaiman has said Marvel will get Miracleman when the legal wrangles are sorted which is ironic as "Moores Marvel/Miracleman" first appeared in Captain Britain (UK Marvel) before Warrior magazine or Eclipse had him. It might be a time for shockwaves!!!

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 12:26 AM
Milkie

DEATH TO SUPERMAN!!!!

Old Post May 10th, 2006 12:43 AM
Milkie is currently offline Click here to Send Milkie a Private Message Find more posts by Milkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote