KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » I need the best PS2/PSX games...

I need the best PS2/PSX games...
Started by: General Kaliero

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I need the best PS2/PSX games...

Way too late in the cycle, I'm celebrating a new excess of money by buying a PS2.

What are some of the best games I can buy for the PS2?

Current list of must-haves (In series I'm starting with the first game before considering buying the others):

God of War
Ratchet and Clank
Kingdom Hearts
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy (start with 10, then look for the others)

People who have owned a PS2 for years, I ask you: What high-quality, high-rated, absolutely awesome games need to be added to the list?

Genres I'm not interested in (meaning don't mention them!):
Sports
Wrestling
GTA
Racing (except a few games...)

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 07:12 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nick1811
At Gunpoint

spiderman 2's a really good game

"Rest in Piece, Brother Dime"- Vinnie Paul

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 07:19 PM
nick1811 is currently offline Click here to Send nick1811 a Private Message Find more posts by nick1811 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

san andreas is the must have for ps2

metal gear 3
gran turismo 4
pro evolution soccer 5
the conflict series (desert storm 2 and vietnam in particular)
killzone
area 51
devil may cry (any of them)

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 07:26 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Revenge of the Sith really isn't a "must-have" game... though I recommend for FF, start with 7 and work your way up. Trust me on that, it's just easier if you're stubburn with graphics, plus the movie sequel to 7 will be out in November in the US, so hurry and finish that so you'll understand it wink

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 07:42 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

RotS is a must-have in the sense that I, desiring SW stuff, "must have" it. wink

And don't worry, I'll be starting FF7 as soon as I find it. stick out tongue

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 07:55 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Revenge Of The Sith is utter shit. Rent it.

God Of War
Burnout (even if you don't like racing - check it out, so many anti-racing friends of mine love Burnout)
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 & 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Also known as Winning Eleven. 5 is out soon by the way, and like Burnout, many non-sports fans love this game, it's probably my favourite multiplayer game of the current generation)
Kingdom Hearts - good choice
Final Fantasy X, good again. Don't bother with any others except 1-7.
Ratchet & Clank
Jak and Daxter
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica & soon-to-be-released 4. (You'd likely get 1, 2, 3 & CV for about £20 or less in total)
Psychonauts (I bet you'd love this if you like Ratchet/Jak etc)
Freedom Fighters (best squaddie game I've seen yet on console)
Dark Chronicle (Good alternative to Kingdom Hearts - huge game)
Prince Of Persia (get the first one and forget the second)
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (pure fun)
Spider-Man 2 (Forget Ultimate Spider-Man: this game creates the feeling of being Spider-Man so much better - also you may like the Spider-Man games on the PS1, good fun platforming)

And try and track down a game called Ico. It really is a PS2 essential(and I really mean that). The sort-of sequel is out soon, called Shadow Of The Colossus, which also looks stunning. Ico is easily in my top 5 PS2 games.

I wouldn't bother with wrestling on PS2 either, all the PS2 wrestling games are shit.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 07:58 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Burnout - forgot about that. *adds to list*
Final Fantasy - Same thoughts I had. And considering I have played the first six... only 7 and 10 are left.
Resident Evil - Have 4 on GCN and picked up the remake of the first on the GCN already. Nice price, and it's prettier.
Psychonauts - forgot that too! Thanks.
Prince of Persia - have it on GCN. (still play it, too wink)
...Holy crap, how could I forget Ico!? *adds to list*

Old Post Sep 30th, 2005 08:07 PM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

RS. Your Sig. Omg. laughing

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 06:56 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kumar

Re: I need the best PS2/PSX games...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Way too late in the cycle, I'm celebrating a new excess of money by buying a PS2.

What are some of the best games I can buy for the PS2?

Current list of must-haves (In series I'm starting with the first game before considering buying the others):

God of War
Ratchet and Clank
Kingdom Hearts
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy (start with 10, then look for the others)

People who have owned a PS2 for years, I ask you: What high-quality, high-rated, absolutely awesome games need to be added to the list?

Genres I'm not interested in (meaning don't mention them!):
Sports
Wrestling
GTA
Racing (except a few games...)

those are some good choices but you are leaving out one Key element (unless you have it for computer): Star Wars Battlefront

a lot of replay value. great game, period.

I will live Forever

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 07:54 PM
Kumar is currently offline Click here to Send Kumar a Private Message Find more posts by Kumar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

if you st want to go old school try mega sonic. it has all his old games,comic covers,how to drawthem,ect. other than that try devil may cry

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 08:18 PM
PsyrenAviance is currently offline Click here to Send PsyrenAviance a Private Message Find more posts by PsyrenAviance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Originally posted by General Kaliero
Burnout - forgot about that. *adds to list*
Final Fantasy - Same thoughts I had. And considering I have played the first six... only 7 and 10 are left.
Resident Evil - Have 4 on GCN and picked up the remake of the first on the GCN already. Nice price, and it's prettier.
Psychonauts - forgot that too! Thanks.
Prince of Persia - have it on GCN. (still play it, too wink)
...Holy crap, how could I forget Ico!? *adds to list*

Ah didn't know you had a Gamecube. I have REmake and Resi 4 on mine too. I love REmake., and Resi 4 I've played about 3 times through now.

Can't wait for Final Fantasy 12 (cannot care less for 11) and Shadow Of The Colossus.

Next GC game will be Zelda too. Funny how all 3 games I'm waiting for are epic adventurey games.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 10:14 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Yeh, those same three (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy XII, and Shadow of the Colossus) are at the top of my awaited RPGs list.

Revised list:

God of War
Ratchet and Clank
Kingdom Hearts
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy VII & X
Metal Gear Solid
Burnout
Psychonauts
Ico

Reminder: I'll accept suggestions of PSX games, btw. As long as they are great games, it doesn't really matter how they look.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 04:16 AM
Red Superfly

I'd honestly rent Revenge Of The Sith - comparred to the others on that list you have there, it's utter garbage.

I'd change Revenge Of The Sith for Battlefront 2 if you really need a Star Wars game. Hell even Lego Star Wars was ten times better than Revenge Of The Sith. If its a decent scrolling beat-em up type thing you're looking for, I'd suggest Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks or keep an eye on The Warriors and wait for that.

Just a word of warning. Revenge Of The Sith looks like brilliant fun, so I rented it, and I honestly wish I didn't bother even doing that. It's unresponsive, dull, formulaic, glitchy, cheap, and even though the graphics appear quite decent, they're actually terrible. Textures are bland, plastic looks like skin, skin looks like plastic, metal looks like wood etc (no shaders). You press two buttons and your character goes into this crazy hyperactive animation. You can tell they spent all their time on the move animations without actually thinking how to fully use them. Most of them are useless too. It's essentially an average PS1 game on PS2. It's short and has no replay value at all.

Last edited by Red Superfly on Oct 3rd, 2005 at 11:16 AM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 11:13 AM
Deathblow
-

I have very few PS2 games, but the ones I have I really enjoyed playing.

Tekken Tag Tournament
Soul Calibur II
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
SSX
GTA: San Andreas
Tony Hawk's Underground
Silent Hill 2

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 07:03 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Yes Silent Hill - there's another one.
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 is the best Tony Hawks, and probably dirt cheap now.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 07:43 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Red Superfly

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 is the best Tony Hawks, and probably dirt cheap now.

i agree...great game...and rodney mullens video is un-fecking-believable

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 07:59 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I have to laugh at everyone nay-saying RotS. Considering that about 85% of the games I play will be from GameFly anyway.

I'll only be buying those games that are thousand-hour RPGs (okay, a LITTLE exaggeration there) and those that I like enough to replay several times.

*adds SSX, Silent Hill and THPS3 to list*

I've played the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II, and Heihachi just ain't as good as Link. I'll be rooting up the previous Soul Calibur/Blade games, though, if only for nostalgia.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 11:00 PM