KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Anyone remember WWF No Mercy and has played Day Of Reckoning 2?

Anyone remember WWF No Mercy and has played Day Of Reckoning 2?
Started by: Red Superfly

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Anyone remember WWF No Mercy and has played Day Of Reckoning 2?

I've been reading the reviews of WWE Day Of Reckoning 2 on the Gamecube, and it looks like they've finally cobbled together a great wrestling game.

I cannot stand the Smackdown games anymore. I have Here Comes The Pain on PS2 and I'm utterly sick of it. It's too shallow and arcadey, and for me personally, WWF No Mercy was the best mainstream wrestling game ever made. I still like to play it even now, despite the graphics looking like lego. It certainly stands the test of time more than the Smackdown games ever did.

I've been waiting for so long for a game that could be as good as No Mercy. Apparently Day Of Reckoning 2 on the cube is the one that has done it.

Graphically it's the best wrestling game I have seen. The wrestlers certainly look better and more accurate than in any other game. My jaw dropped when I saw Christian and Jericho, the likenesses are amazing, especially when put up against the XBox and PS2 games.

I've seen the odd bad review, and they are from seasoned No Mercy/Fire Pro fans like myself, so I'm a little worried that I will hate this game because I hold such high standards. It's the reason I can't play Smackdown games anymore.

I don't care about gimmick matches. There were complaints that Day Of Reckoning doesn't have the Elimination Chamber, but seeing as I hate the Elimination Chamber even when it's on TV (it isn't barbaric, nor is it cool, it's just a shit royal rumble with pinfalls) I could care less. I'm more concerned about the grappling, and long term appeal. Ladder matches are the only gimmick matches worth botherring with so I'd like to know if they are any good. Please don't mention Smackdown because that whole series has gone to shit in my opinion. I picked up SD vs Raw and it was a huge step back of epic proportions. Can't stand that gimmicky shit. Opinions? No fanboys cheers.

Last edited by Red Superfly on Sep 14th, 2005 at 07:23 PM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 07:20 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Refused
Iconoclast

OMG!! I feel ya man. ****, me and my friends used to spend whole summer days playing No Mercy non stop. Aaah, just the mention of that game brings back nice memories of the good ol' days. Best. Wrestling Game. Ever.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 07:27 PM
Refused is currently offline Click here to Send Refused a Private Message Find more posts by Refused Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Have you played Day Of Reckoning 2? Or know anyone that has?

I suppose its just wishful thinking. I'm REALLY yearning for a worthy wrestling game as good as No Mercy.

I know its wrestling and all, but that game is classic. Even the single player was awesome. I used to play the story modes over and over. Took me ages to get 100% on them all, and I'd still play them over and over.

Ladder matches were amazing in that game too.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 07:44 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HigH ScholaR

no mercy in my is the most entertaining wrestling game ever old memories good one too. haven't played DoR2 yet but played DoR1

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 08:48 PM
HigH ScholaR is currently offline Click here to Send HigH ScholaR a Private Message Find more posts by HigH ScholaR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

And how would you rate it?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 08:49 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Re: Anyone remember WWF No Mercy and has played Day Of Reckoning 2?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Superfly
It's too shallow and arcadey, and for me personally, WWF No Mercy was the best mainstream wrestling game ever made. I still like to play it even now, despite the graphics looking like lego. It certainly stands the test of time more than the Smackdown games ever did.

I've been waiting for so long for a game that could be as good as No Mercy.

Same here. SD is shit. Def Jam has similar ideas to No Mercy but it didn't have the right feel to it. Def Jam 1 anyway, 2 was back to the SD style.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 08:53 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Def Jam was made by the guys that did the WWF No Mercy/WCW Revenge N64 games right? That's what I thought.

I would have bought it if it had a CAW, or wasn't based on Def Jam. What a shit license.

It also angers me that no-one has had the common sense to just COPY No Mercy. That would have been perfectly fine. Just take No Mercy's system, and apply some better graphics. That would have done, but nooo, we get dumbed down shit like Smackdown because the majority would rather hammer buttons and fall off cages ten times in a row with no damage.

One thing Smackdown STILL hasn't done right is standing on things. I hate the way wrestlers clumsily fall off tables/walkways/cages. It's so stupid. In No Mercy you'd get a "barrier" on edges that stopped you randomly falling off things, and you could have awesome battles on tables attacking and reversing moves, and eventually one of you would go through the table. I loved moments like that, but Smackdown just lets you walk all over things, or stupidly fall off them. Setting your opponent up for a table slam is unbelievably stupid, and random. Sometimes powerbombs don't even break tables. Table matches in Smackdown can be done in 5 seconds most of the time.

Wrestling games are still struggling with the "rope break" and weight differences while No Mercy got it right ages ago. THQ or WWE need to drop Yukes.

Last edited by Red Superfly on Sep 14th, 2005 at 09:14 PM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 09:03 PM
HigH ScholaR

bring back AKI

anyway i would rate no mercy 9/10
dy of reckoning 7 or 8 out of 10

Def Jam was made by the guys that did the WWF No Mercy/WCW Revenge N64 games right? That's what I thought.

I would have bought it if it had a CAW, or wasn't based on Def Jam. What a shit license.

It also angers me that no-one has had the common sense to just COPY No Mercy. That would have been perfectly fine. Just take No Mercy's system, and apply some better graphics. That would have done, but nooo, we get dumbed down shit like Smackdown because the majority would rather hammer buttons and fall off cages ten times in a row with no damage.

One thing Smackdown STILL hasn't done right is standing on things. I hate the way wrestlers clumsily fall off tables/walkways/cages. It's so stupid. In No Mercy you'd get a "barrier" on edges that stopped you randomly falling off things, and you could have awesome battles on tables attacking and reversing moves, and eventually one of you would go through the table. I loved moments like that, but Smackdown just lets you walk all over things, or stupidly fall off them. Setting your opponent up for a table slam is unbelievably stupid, and random. Sometimes powerbombs don't even break tables. Table matches in Smackdown can be done in 5 seconds most of the time.

Wrestling games are still struggling with the "rope break" and weight differences while No Mercy got it right ages ago. THQ or WWE need to drop Yukes.

agree smackdown series is just relying on poularity and the ps2 user base. the smackdown games are repetitive and unrealistic ans a bit plain. day of reckoning did better than smackdown for me in the graphic and PHYSICS DEPARTMENT IMO

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 11:09 PM
HigH ScholaR is currently offline Click here to Send HigH ScholaR a Private Message Find more posts by HigH ScholaR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I played NM constantly, and I have played both DoR games. And as far as core in ring gameplay, DoR2 is the closest any WWE game has come to matching the fun level of NM.

Season mode is over in about a day, leaving you with just exhibitions, if you have friends who are into wrestling games you will love it, but if you are playing alone the AI isnt really much of a challenge(unless you are fighting more than 1 wreslter, than they gang up on you).

I am not saying it is as good as No Mercy, but it is my favorite current gen wrestling game.

I can answer any specific questions if you like.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 11:20 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Cheers guys. I was waiting for a replies like these. Someone who has played both games.

Usually in net forums you get replies like "OMG DOR is teh best!" by people who haven't even heard of No Mercy or Fire Pro.

The thing with No Mercy that I thought was awesome was the fact it came on a cartridge. I used to be able to tinker with the appearances of the wrestlers. Big Show has gone through several different haircuts, Christian had long hair then went short, Angle shaved his head and his attire changed and I could update all of that in No Mercy because it was cartridge based. You could even clone wrestlers and give the likes of Angle his Ankle Lock and make wrestlers like Jericho stronger as they got higher in the ranks of TV. It just meant No Mercy kept going and going. I mean, even now I could go back and turn Undertaker into a zombie again (I remember at the time he only just made it in as the "biker", the game was released shortly after his return), and I could go and unmask Kane (which I won't because I prefer Slipknot Kane over Fester Kane anyday). I found it all fun in a sad way. The game didn't get old.

Not only that, but No Mercy was based on the most exciting period of wrestling, when it was at it's peak, like when HHH had DX and was fighting Mick Foley, and The Rock/Austin were the top guys in the show, there were loads of cool Tag Teams like the New Age Outlaws and there was no roster-split crap. I think that's a big reason why I think No Mercy can't be beat - WWE has gone downhill since then in general.

I mean, John Cena is hardly The Rock, and Bradshaw (how the f*ck did Bradshaw get to be champ? Looking at him in No Mercy in the APA just makes me laugh), he is hardly HHH.

One question - does the Stamina system work? How do cruiserweights measure up against big guys like Kane? If it works, they should be able to run around for ages and tire the bigger wrestlers down with loads of high flying moves like on TV. I'm a bit dubious about a stamina system, it has to be spot on and finely balanced or not done at all.

Last edited by Red Superfly on Sep 15th, 2005 at 02:12 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 02:09 PM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

One question - does the Stamina system work? How do cruiserweights measure up against big guys like Kane? If it works, they should be able to run around for ages and tire the bigger wrestlers down with loads of high flying moves like on TV. I'm a bit dubious about a stamina system, it has to be spot on and finely balanced or not done at all.

I do like the idea of the stamina system, but they didnt really nail this first time, if you tire out, the oppponent can beat on you and never let you get going again.

But if you pay attention and manage it, you will be just fine. Running is fastest stamina drainer, followed by power moves and power attacks, so actually now that I think about it, big guys do tire quicker. Most cruisers dont have any heavy drain moves, and I think if your wreslter has a good speed attribute, running doesnt effect him as much.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Last edited by @stroFan on Sep 15th, 2005 at 05:08 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 05:05 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Ah. I was hoping the likes of Mysterio would need to run around constantly to take out The Big Show, for instance. Because that would make sense.

I guess Mysterio can run around for ages right? He should be able to, because that's all he ever does.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 10:37 AM