KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Did the film suffer?

Did the film suffer?
Started by: Council#13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Council#13
The Omega Male

Did the film suffer?

Lucas attempted to make his droids funny with emotion, fear, pain and a sense of self-preservation. examples: the part where, after Obi and Ani crash land and destroy the droids, one falls over groaning. another one: R2 zaps one and it says "ow" it cant feel anything! Do you think the film suffered from this?

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 01:48 PM
Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

It wasn't a good idea, but overall I don't think the film suffered. He was trying to give background droids emotions like C-3p0 and Artoo probably. He shouldn't have, but it other than the annoying voices it didn't make ROTS significantly worse.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 01:54 PM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

Action and reaction are the main elemets of drama in the movies.

Interaction. R2 interacts with the other droid and the droid acknowledges it by reacting appropriately. Without reaction, we wouldnt be sure if R2s move had any impact.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 01:57 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Yep, first quarter sucked with all the kiddy crap like droids talking and rubbish. Give them a better voice and ok, whatever...but they sucked. But the rest of the movie was alright.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 02:01 PM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Um, haven't the droids in Star Wars always had emotions and self-preserving attitudes?

I personally think the daft droids attitude (not appearance) were one of the most consistent things of the PT to the OT. However, maybe it was too consistent for its own good.

In Return Of The Jedi, we see comedy droids being torturred. This works for the scene, because it shows that droids are capable of being hurt, and it's partially goofy and funny.

In the PT, the droids are supposed to be part of some great army. The Super Battle Droids are supposed to be these great hulking battle machines - and then in Episode III they turn out to be utter jokes.

It's like Lucas was intentionally making consistencies/inconsistencies that don't make sense.

The only decent droid was the droideka. They should have used an army of those, or made a bigger deal of them, because they were silent and powerful.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 02:35 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

It didn't bother me too much. I loved the film from start to finish.

I like George.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

I loved it how the super battle droids talked in ROTS, and showed emotion. There's always a gradual change in the droids in every film, like they have newer models, just like life.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 05:56 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Battle Droids shouldn't have emotions. They're used for battle.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 06:03 PM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like Jedi eek!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 06:22 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jedi are keepers of the peace not soldiers.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 07:27 PM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

Hey, the super battle droids got upgrades, that's all. I don't do "shoulds."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 07:40 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I disagree SBDs sound like my sister on Helium. I think Lucas was trying to show the futility of the whole droid army thing and portraying the seperatists as totally unprepared and cogesive, more civilian, than the GAR. It was an emphasis to show how much Sids, Dooku, and Grevious were holding the Confederacy together. And Lucas always likes making the "wrong" party seem stupid...stormies! sad

But yes it hurt the film, especially b/c the space battle was a total failure. It was supposed to be this epic sequence, to show that Ani was "the best stsrpilot in the galaxy" and all it shows was him flying through an epic battle.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 08:13 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: Did the film suffer?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Council#13
Lucas attempted to make his droids funny with emotion, fear, pain and a sense of self-preservation. examples: the part where, after Obi and Ani crash land and destroy the droids, one falls over groaning. another one: R2 zaps one and it says "ow" it cant feel anything! Do you think the film suffered from this?
It didn't "suffer," but to me, it did cheapen the value of the film.

That and Grievous. He seemed to be added to the movie as more of a mood-lightener than anything. That pathetic cough of his covered what could have been a menacing Russian accent. And his hunch-back made him less fearful, less dramatic, the whole shibang. Not to mention his corny lines, so cliche of the maniacal villain.

"Time to abandon ship. Heh heh heh."

"Jedi slime."

"You must realize... you are dooooooooomed."

His character sucked almost as much as Jar Jar in TPM. His one decent line is his death rattle.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 11:49 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P23
Restricted

Account Restricted

the r2 stuff was ok but it seemed cartoonish in a way but the rest of the movie ruled only beef i got with thatwas it felt rushed. the obi anakin battle seemed rushed but still one of the best damn saber battles. overall i rank ep3 with the ot

i like to sit on teh ****ing curb drawing lines of dead people on teh ****ing ground
u kno who u ar and im comin to ****ing get u

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 12:33 AM
Click here to Send P23 a Private Message Find more posts by P23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NK-Syndrome
Nonexistant

The Battle Droids sucked in all three films. Droidekas were all badass, so were the MGs, Super Battle Droids were cool until RotS where they started talking, and Crab Droids were pretty cool too.

Battle Droids were just a disgrace, though.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 12:44 AM
Click here to Send NK-Syndrome a Private Message Find more posts by NK-Syndrome Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

Battle droids strength lies in their sheer numbers. That's their beauty. You can complain how they stunk, but it actually makes a lot of sense. Nobody dies, no hungry army to feed, just give them an oil bath every once in a while. Even if 10 of them fail and 1 makes a kill, it makes pretty good odds if you build enough of them. That's why today robots build cars and bottle beer and a million other things.

Look, they defeated all those jedi in Geonosis because of it their numbers. It's genius.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 05:18 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

oh no chinabing, I totally agree, thats why there are like quintillions of battle droids. The army design is actually fairly brilliant. The CIS could have easily won the war had Sidious not screwed them over and if they had decent tacticians. And the CIS clearly had the economic backing. But good thing they didn't. I hate the CIS, but they aren't weak. SBDs are brillant though, I just wish they'd shut up. Better the stong silent type.

And Tarvos, that shot tof the 212th guy blasting that crab droid's back of the neck was awesome. I love that shot. And It squeals as it dies. That brings up a point. I dont really mind the regular battle droid so much...I just think of it as the Neimodians' twisted view of the world. But the SBDs sucked and grievous voice was only so so.

Yet, I also blame the Jedi for thier failure at Geonosis. The jedi really f'ed up the beginning of the war. They 200 jedi they sent in weren't ready for combat and the order dearly for it.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 06:23 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cascador

I didnt mind at all...the battle droids were always a bit stupid...clumsy...and in the beginning I thought the voices of the superbattledroids was stupid too, but I thought that they weren't smart either so the voice suits them lol. I think it was a good idea to add a lot of humor in the beginning of the film as a built up to the higher drama of the film. A total dramatic film might not have scored as well as how the film is now.

"The greatest hero is the one who learns to face his fears and overconquers it!"

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 11:56 PM
Click here to Send Cascador a Private Message Find more posts by Cascador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

How can you not like Artoo defeating the super battle droids? That was a great bit. It's hard to have Artoo win, and not make them look dumb at the same time, the oil and flame bit was a winner.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2006 03:32 AM
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

YES! The films all suffered with crappy kiddie garbage, ever since the SE's. We had some of the lame skits added in ANH-SE like the 'Ronto' cheese, and the worker droid beating down the floating droid. TESB-SE seems less intense...although not cheesy, with the Wampa. ROTJ-SE now has the cheesiest moment in the saga with the musical number.

We have poop and fart jokes in TPM, along with silly ass, stuttering battledroids. AOTC has the worst heavy-handed romance EVER, and Sonic the Jedi Master...but let's not forget 3PO the everlasting idiot in that film...'Such a Drag'=Vomit.

...Why should ROTS be any different in regard to the lame R2 vs. Battledroids plot?

When you think back, the OT...pre-SE that is...had a much better humor. Regardless of what Lucas says, these films were not ALWAYS for just the kids.

"Did I change, or did the cosmic sense of humor" - Howard Hughes in TUCKER

Old Post Mar 27th, 2006 04:14 AM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote