KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » ROTS Space Battle

ROTS Space Battle
Started by: Clone-pilot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Clone-pilot

ROTS Space Battle

Was anyone else sorely disappointed with the space battle at the start of the film .
It just didn't have the same feel as the one's in ANH and ROTJ , you know with the :

"you got one on your tail...." and "....3 coming in from the top , I'm on the leader....." .

I'm aware that Lucas probably wanted to do something different and didn't want iyt to be too simular to the old sequals , but I feel it was a missed opportunity .
There where loads of stylish ideas that could have been used (that I thought of) that would have set it apart from the older films .

It's far too short , with far too little close up dog-fighting .

Old Post Dec 25th, 2005 11:14 AM
Click here to Send Clone-pilot a Private Message Find more posts by Clone-pilot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ezekiel
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay.

How about you redo the Scene?

Exactly.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2005 04:23 PM
Click here to Send Ezekiel a Private Message Find more posts by Ezekiel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone-pilot

Give me all the eqipment to totally redo the entire thing in CG and I'll do it .

If I had to write it I'd have had much more ship on ship chasing , crashing and exploding starfighters .
I'd have Anakin Skywalker flying his jedi starfighter in crazy spins and loops while annihilating all on-comers . I'd have had force activated gadgets in Obi wans ship .....

You mean to tell me that you were 100% satisfied with it . What happened to Lucas' taste for the amazing dogfights which made the originals so popular ???

Old Post Dec 25th, 2005 05:42 PM
Click here to Send Clone-pilot a Private Message Find more posts by Clone-pilot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

The space battles in ANH and ROTJ are far superior to the ROTS one... and if it weren't for Jake Lloyd and the intercutting of the gungans, the TPM one would be okay too. I like that the ROTS battle is different, but I definitely prefer the OT battles.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2005 11:39 PM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviefreak_173

I thought it sucked. sad

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 12:49 AM
Click here to Send moviefreak_173 a Private Message Find more posts by moviefreak_173 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Not a fan of the ROTJ battle, myself.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

this is because the ROTS battle was completely centered on 2 people. the battle also had no real, how should i say, major peril...

the ANH battle yavin was gonna be destroyed along with all the rebel forces.

the ROTJ battle was the epic final confrontation between the rebels and the imperial forces, it meant everything for the rebels to win that battle and destroy the death star.

TPM space battle the naboo forces had to destroy the trade federation command ship to stop the droid armies or they were screwed.

the ROTS battle had none of this, it was merely used to get anakin and obi-wan to GG's ship. it had no real feeling peril (though it was meant to, cause the capitial of the republic was under seige, but there was no foreshadowing to the importance of the battle so it lost any sort of meaning)

the ROTJ space battle is by far the best space battle in the SW saga imo.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 02:03 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))

yes

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 02:07 AM
Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

this is because the ROTS battle was completely centered on 2 people. the battle also had no real, how should i say, major peril...

the ROTJ battle was the epic final confrontation between the rebels and the imperial forces, it meant everything for the rebels to win that battle and destroy the death star.

TPM space battle the naboo forces had to destroy the trade federation command ship to stop the droid armies or they were screwed.

the ROTS battle had none of this, it was merely used to get anakin and obi-wan to GG's ship. it had no real feeling peril (though it was meant to, cause the capitial of the republic was under seige, but there was no foreshadowing to the importance of the battle so it lost any sort of meaning)

I agree. Though I think if the ANH battle had better effects it would take the cake. The ROTS battle is just pretty, there is no emotion there, or even any exhileration. It's there simply for its aesthetic value.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 02:42 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

thumb up yes

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 03:01 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HAROLD

Whoa, I haven't been around these parts in a while.

I actually enjoyed it, especially how it began. I mean, it had the longest take in any Star Wars film.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 03:03 AM
Click here to Send HAROLD a Private Message Find more posts by HAROLD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

one word - enjoyable...

thats why people go to the movies - to escape, and i certainly did much of that through the opening battle

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 03:57 AM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

I rewatched ROTS again yesterday for the first time in like 4 months. The OT battles have moments of 'grabbing the seat, yelling at the pilots to watch out, feeling the ships fly overhead'. They felt like you were in the battles. Everytime a rebel died, it was like 'oh man, they're getting wiped away'.

This one was just watching two ships fly through lots of explosions and lasers. There were so many moments where you'd expect something good to happen where it'd bring back the old feelings, but theres nothing. Pretty much the only part I felt out of the battle was right at the start when the two fighters fly straight over the cruiser, then dip sharply into the massive battle. Even that felt a little let down, I blame the camera work for this though. When clones died, there was no felling of remorse or anything erm

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 03:58 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Meh, I didn't like the ROTJ battle too much, but overall I thought that movie was weak, compared to the rest. ANH's battle was my favorite, I think.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 06:56 AM
Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Next Venom_girl
Scream

Did anyone else think that whole thing with the "buzz droids" (little insectoid robots that rip up ships) was vaguley reminscent (though far less dramatic erm ) of the squidy sentinels (huge insectoid robots that rip up ships) from the Matrix?

Girls Kick Butt!Respect Venom|Respect Black Canary|Respect Namor|Respect Hellsing|The Official Symbiote Thread&Picture Thread

Last edited by Next Venom_girl on Dec 26th, 2005 at 07:51 AM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 07:48 AM
Click here to Send Next Venom_girl a Private Message Find more posts by Next Venom_girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Hawkeye
Bounty Hunter

I think there was nothing wrong with it except it just focused on two damn JEDI cant we see the people who make the cloen army damnit WHY CLONES. But if it was them and then a squadron maybe a bit better Good TOPIC I say

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 08:02 AM
Click here to Send Darth Hawkeye a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Hawkeye Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone-pilot

Wow I see I'm not the only one disappointed with it .

I agree with the comments about the lack of peril and emotion/ interaction between pilots .... but I actually blame the piss-poor nature of the battle on CG . The ANH and ROTJ battles used models and real explosions giving it a far more raw and edgy appearence .... In ROTS Lucas and his CG crew just went for pure scale kinda saying :
"Hey look , this is what we can do now , look how arty it is!!!" , while actually forgetting the most important elements : tension and excitement .
For the final SW movie ever made and the final chance to show Anakin's piloting skills on the big screen this really was a shockingly poor effort ....

"Here's where the funs begins....." (THIS LINE SHOULD BE HERALDED AS ONE OF THE MOST MISLEADING IN CINEMA HISTORY) .

The rest of the film is great though ....

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 10:48 AM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Originally posted by Clone-pilot
In ROTS Lucas and his CG crew just went for pure scale kinda saying : "Hey look , this is what we can do now , look how arty it is!!!" , while actually forgetting the most important elements...

This pretty much sums up Lucas & Co.'s philosophy for the whole prequel trilogy.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 10:52 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I seriously cannot understand the reasoning that the ROTJ battle looked better for use of models- I reject that logic absolutely. And for an apparently final conflict, it was on a pretrty small scale. ROTJ wa salso heartless- there are only two pilots in that you care for as well, unlike the triumph that was the ANH Death Star run.

THe ROTS battle was in eaxctly the same style as the ROTJ one, but much more sophisticated. It also wasn't being continually cut away from.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 12:29 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Models > CGI.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 01:21 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote