KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Terminator Movies » T3 a complete rehash of T2?

T3 a complete rehash of T2?
Started by: LindaHamilton32

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LindaHamilton32

T3 a complete rehash of T2?

Hi everyone. Hope you are well. I posted something similar in another thread but feel it deserves one of it's own.
http://www.jamescamerononline.com/T3special.htm
What are your thoughts on this link?After reading it is just obvious that T3 is nothing but a rehash of T2.T3 even has the same camera angles and shots in some instances.Im not judging whether its good or bad,it justplayed way too much homage to T2 when it could have been a great film on it's own.Actually at times Terminator 3 almost plays like a parody of T2.I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you

"Despite all the action of the Terminator movies, they were actually pretty high-minded. There was really a message there about the human condition, and Terminator 3 had no regard for human life whatsoever." - Linda Hamilton on T3
Me and my good friend Linda Hamilton:
http://files.myopera.com/DieInCries...HamiltonPam.jpg

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 11:55 AM
LindaHamilton32 is currently offline Click here to Send LindaHamilton32 a Private Message Find more posts by LindaHamilton32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I did feel like it was a spoof at times, but there were moments where T3 actually has original ideas.

T850 being controlled by TX was pretty cool, though it could've been way better.

The crane scene, the toilet smash and other action scenes were awesome.

The whole Arnie keeping them alive for the future, was pretty awesome, I thought, and was kinda like the same ending to T1, but in a good way.

I do believe it is too much like JD, and that's quite embarrasing.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 02:06 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

T2 and T3 both follow the same formula and ideas set from the movie previous. The only problem with T3 is that not only is it copying T2, but copying T3 and therefore having barely any originality itself.

It's the more quieter and darker scenes in T3 that appeal to me and that I think are the better moments. It's just a shame that the comedy aspect of it overshadows those parts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/trailermaker/view/7frbbc

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 02:16 PM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LindaHamilton32

Thanks for your great feedback so far guys.The slapstick humour of T3 i could have done without and the 'nodding and winking' back to T2. "Talk to the Hand" and the Elton John glasses were a bit too much for me. It is almost embarassing.But i do enjoy T3 for what it is and that is an entertaining summer action movie.And it does have its good points.I think the crane chase sequence through Hollywood is a great set-piece and the end was a pretty touching moment imo.They knew they couldn't make another classic like T2, so they stuck to their strengths.

Even though it undeniably tramples continuity in places, it enhances it in others:
Sarah's cancer explains why she wasn't a prominant figure in the war, and the implication that she was diagnosed before T2 makes her mental state more understandable. I always thought she was reckless to ever get caught by the police, but now it seems like she acted out of desperation after she realised she couldn't protect her son for much longer.
John living off the grid makes more sense of the timetravel. He only appeared on the radar once, in 1995. Skynet send the T1000 after him, then the T800 after Sarah shortly before she disappears. The TX is sent to ensure the rise of the machines and to take out other targets.
It shows how John survives Judgement Day.

The underlying themes of purpose and destiny aren't as well executed as they would have been under Cameron, but they resonate and are fitting. Arnie is restored to the machine he is, and can be seen as such by John after the relationship they had previously. Seeds are planted for John's progression in the future. For the single timeline to work, he must believe in destiny and fight to ensure it all plays out as it should. I believe he'd eventually die for that. Thanks for reading and i'd appreciate your thoughts.

"Despite all the action of the Terminator movies, they were actually pretty high-minded. There was really a message there about the human condition, and Terminator 3 had no regard for human life whatsoever." - Linda Hamilton on T3

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 08:54 AM
LindaHamilton32 is currently offline Click here to Send LindaHamilton32 a Private Message Find more posts by LindaHamilton32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree. T3 does shine in places, and the continuity really ruined it for me. It just goes back to it being made by Cameron. Though, the ending and beginning were pretty cool. I don't get why John was drinking beer, but whatever.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 01:16 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lord xyz
I agree. T3 does shine in places, and the continuity really ruined it for me. It just goes back to it being made by Cameron. Though, the ending and beginning were pretty cool. I don't get why John was drinking beer, but whatever.

The John in T3, to me, seems depressed. He is living to fulfill his destiny, but you get the sense he'd rather be dead, after all he threatens to kill himself. I guess he was just drowning his sorrows and probably reflecting on his life, what's to come and the death of his mother. He looks in deep thought before dropping the bottle.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 01:23 PM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by barand1
The John in T3, to me, seems depressed. He is living to fulfill his destiny, but you get the sense he'd rather be dead, after all he threatens to kill himself. I guess he was just drowning his sorrows and probably reflecting on his life, what's to come and the death of his mother. He looks in deep thought before dropping the bottle.
Yeah, but how can you buy beer if you're hiding?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 01:41 PM
barand1

Yeah, but how can you buy beer if you're hiding?

I guess he was being paid cash for helping out on building sites (as shown), or he could of just stole it.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 03:11 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by barand1
I guess he was being paid cash for helping out on building sites (as shown), or he could of just stole it.
Buying with a fake ID?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 05:29 PM
barand1

Buying with a fake ID?

Could well of done. I don't know, lol, just using my imagination.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 08:34 AM
LindaHamilton32

Hi guys. How are you?Don't get me wrong, i enjoy T3 for what it is;a respectable summer action movie.It's just that it isn't a James Cameron film. And i can see that every time i watch it.However i think Jonathan Mostow did a competent job. He had some pretty big shoes to fill plus the masterpiece that is Terminator 2 to follow up.Mostow will have had intense pressure to recreate shots to pay homage to the previous classics.The style was well-established and well-known. He had very few options and followed the previous installments well with the material he was handed.What are your thoughts?Thanks

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 09:02 AM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think T3 represents the time it's set in very well.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 12:25 PM
barand1

I think T3 represents the time it's set in very well.

In what sense?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 01:21 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The technical advancement of the time and the apocolypse feel, it seems very now imo.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 01:59 PM
barand1

The technical advancement of the time and the apocolypse feel, it seems very now imo.

Ah yes, I agree.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 02:54 PM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Some of those comparisons skipped out on stuff to make the match.

There were things that are kind of both references and themes of the movies. Both the previous terminators had motorcycle chases and big truck chases. Sometimes at the same time. I wouldn't have it any other way. Also, shotguns. Now that I think of it, the Terminator series is probably the single greatest factor in shaping my Grand Theft Auto playstyle.

Did the Arnold model always skid out on his motorcycle? I know he did it in the second one.

He always stole his clothes from some belligerent dude, though in the third one it was more humorous. Someone always has a run in with the cops when they arrive in our time.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 10:04 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LindaHamilton32

Hi hows. Thank you again for all your great feedback.

I think T3 just felt like an updated version of T2.Nothing new except for the ballsey ending which played with all the built up summer movie expectations of how a third act ends. T3 for me lacked the disturbing images and visions of the future atomic holocaust. Sarah Connor's dreams in T2 especially made it such a realistic menace to me, it was frightening.What do you think?Thank you very much. Have a good day guys.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 11:14 AM
LindaHamilton32

Hi again. Here is some Jonathan Mostow quotes.

"The heart of the film is the story." - [about Terminator 3: Rise of Machines]

"I would say that if there was one person I'd be nervous about showing this movie to, it's him (James Cameron)." - [on his view about showing Terminator 3 to James Cameron]

"Linda Hamilton is too important to the franchise to stick her in as the third wheel. So then I realized, you know what, it's actually better if she's not in the movie." - [about his reason for avoiding Linda Hamilton in Terminator 3]

"Biologically, yes, he is John Connor and he's the same person technically, but from a character point of view, he's a very different character now. So I felt I wanted to throw out all assumptions and start from scratch and say who's the best actor to play this part." - [about his reason for replacing Edward Furlong by Nick Stahl in Terminator 3]

What do you think of the above quotes?I agree on his comment about Linda Hamilton.As T3 focused on John and Kate , Sarah's role wouldn't have been major.And she is too great a character to just have like a cameo or something in T3.I thought the coffin full of guns was a nice touch.Thanks for reading. I look forward to your thoughts.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2009 12:14 PM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I agree with not having Sarah Connor in the movie. The guns in the coffin though was a very Sarah Connor move. I could almost call it better than a cameo because it maintains her status as an action mom.

Aaaand, I can agree with not having Edward Furlong as John in the 3rd one. He made a great punk kid but now he looks like a punk adult, and eerily like Helena Bonham Carter, who coincidentally was in Salvation.

Going back to the rehash thing, I decided to watch Terminator and I noticed the second movie had a lot of references back to the first movie. It occurred to me that maybe makers of the 3rd tried to mimic this but fell short on some points. I kind of have a little more respect for it. Even though it didn't quite live up to the first two movies I can see what they were going for.

Last edited by Doctor-Alvis on Jul 18th, 2009 at 06:34 AM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2009 06:25 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would've wanted Sarah in this film.

Something like, a flashback where she's taken away again, but John manages to escape.

Only this time, she actually doesn't believe in the Terminators, and when they come back, John has to remind her of everything, but it's too late, and then the film is all about John becoming the protector of the human race. Like, this is the film where he becomes a man.

In the same way Sarah went from naive to badass and John in T2 went from a brat to a decent kid.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2009 11:41 PM