KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Terminator Movies » My Terminator 3 Rant

My Terminator 3 Rant
Started by: Ocelot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ocelot
Major Ocelot

My Terminator 3 Rant

If someone already posted this, then I apologize for sounding so reduntant. Ahem. That being said, I'd like to say something about the logics of Terminator 3 taking place. Look at it from a common sense point of view. There could have indeed been extra parts and extra data stored else where, besides the Cyberdyne building that both the Conors, the T-800 and Dyson blew up. Remember, Dyson wasn't told everything. To quote him, after a young man asked him where the scraps from the terminator came from he said something along the lines of "Ya know, I asked them that very same question once myself. You know what they told me? "Don't ask'." This is clear evidence that he was kept in the dark about alot of things. We also know that Cyberdyne was working for the USAF, so the USAF could have had data that Cyberdyne researched or researched their own data. Now as for how Terminator 3 could've taken place despite it being "all over" in Terminator 2. It was Sara, John and the T-800 that assumed that it would all be over and SKYNET wouldn't exist if they destroyed all the evidence. Sara and John are only human and therefore capable of making mistakes, therefore their assumption that SKYNET would never be built be destroying the right arm and CPU chip is subject to error, but what of the T-800's assumption? At the time he followed Sara and John's assumption of altering the future by destroying the evidence, he was pretty banged up by the T-1000. He took two blows to the head and it is obvious his CPU took some damage, since his motor functions were impaired in his legs. With his damaged CPU, he probably couldn't calculate as well as he could before, therefore it is likly to say that he calculated the wrong probability in assuming that the future would be altered in the sense of SKYNET never being created if he allowed himself to be lowered into the steal. That make sense? It better. Now as for Terminator 3 being made only to rake in "big bucks". Well, what the ****ing hell do you think they made the first two Terminator films for, anyways? Their health? I adore James Cameron's work, but I think it was dipshit of him to try and kill his work off in Terminator 2 and I'm quite glad to see the franchise carry on. It doesn't make much sense to me to see all these dipshit hardcore fans/virgins say that Terminator 3 was a failure in their eyes. True, it was a different director, but at least it didnt' suffer the "Batman Curse", in which they changed both the director and actor who plays the main character in the third movie. As for the T-X Vs. a T-1000, it's obvious the T-X has the advantage. Yes, the T-1000 is made of liquid metal/mimetic poly alloy, but the T-X has built in thermal weapons that would give the T-1000 a run for its money. All it took was molten steal to terminate the T-1000. And since the T-1000 is already liquid at room temperature, it would have a lower vaporization temperature than a solid object. The result? Enstead of that plasma cannon, it's possible the T-X could melt away the T-1000 using only it's flame thrower.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2005 08:55 AM
Ocelot is currently offline Click here to Send Ocelot a Private Message Find more posts by Ocelot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

Well at last, someone else who also thinks Terminator 3 is a great film.

Your not Jonathan Mostow by the way Ocelot?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/trailermaker/view/7frbbc

Old Post Sep 27th, 2005 02:24 PM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

"dipshit hardcore fans/virgins" ??

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I personally thought T3 was pathetic as did many others, but you don't see me calling you a dipshit for thinking otherwise.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...&forumid=55

Old Post Sep 27th, 2005 08:47 PM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chriscaffee

Terminator 3 lacks the depth that the first two films had. Many of the important elements of the series were omitted such as the Poloroid of Sarah Connor and the links between the police and the previous Terminators which helped to ground the films somewhat in reality.

The obvious, blatant use of CG, the female Swiss-Army Terminatrix and Terminator's severe upgrade in endurance, strength and completely different (and convenient) power supply make it harder for us hardcore fans to suspend our disbelief.

That doesn't mean we can't sit back and enjoy a soda while watching T3 every once in a while, but we certainly aren't going to pretend it had the same impact on us or on the industry as The Terminator or Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

In my mind the original had the best story. The second one was a solid movie but it was a rehash. I like to think of it more as a "what if?" The first one, as stated in the movie's opening is the last battle. The "series" while interesting isn't relevant to the original canon in this fan's opinion.

And as vvvrulz mentioned, please keep the flaming to a minimum. After all, just because we disagree about what movies we like better, we are all Terminator fans here.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:13 AM
chriscaffee is currently offline Click here to Send chriscaffee a Private Message Find more posts by chriscaffee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alic88
Barzakh

some very valid points made in the thread, oclet. But we are not debating the fact that how judgment day still happen, as it has been stated many times before by me, i blame it on myself, because i had set high expectations for terminator 3, even though i thought the ending was perfectly done, the movie itself was weak, and it has so many plotholes that are too many to dig in 1 thread. But i cant blame them entirely since this is a kind of a time machine-future movie, some plotholes are bound to happen. I like t3, hell i loved it to death when it first came out. But t3 lacks in the depth of the first two movies, emotionally and many other aspects. As for t1000 vs the T-x, i have always believed that the tx is stronger than t1000, and in the terminator comics they show how the tx just blows the t1000 into smithereens.
In the end i would like to say that i dont know where the terminator franchise is going, there is a whole story of John Connor and Kate Brewster waiting to be told, but the actors Nick Stahl and Claire Danes are not signed up to terminator 4 and terminator 5. This concerns me, What makes me hate the director and the writers so much is the fact that he did not think the whole process through, Now we are left with a war we have been longing to see the entire terminator history, HUMANS VS MACHINES, but will we ever get to see that? we dont even know that

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 09:40 PM
alic88 is currently offline Click here to Send alic88 a Private Message Find more posts by alic88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RevoWution™©®
pr0F3ss0r_F4rnsw0rth

I reckon Ocelot is thinking a bit too much about the fact that the T800 in T2 got banged in the head twice etc. He's not human, and I'm sure he's robust enough to take a few blows there.

As for calculating errors in a machine, I don't think a machine is capable of calculating errors unless the programme already had minor/major bugs in them, or someone reprogrammes it (like what the TX did to Arnie).

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: All your Rick Roll are belong to me!!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2005 11:20 PM
RevoWution™©® is currently offline Click here to Send RevoWution™©® a Private Message Find more posts by RevoWution™©® Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Konjammenson

How dare you. Ok, so bottom line here is that T3 was a HUGE letdown in many ways. The difference in the "big bucks" theory you brought up is that there was no time and care taken into this one. T2 grossed more than the other two combined ever will. Part of Cameron's theory about sequels failing is because they try to rehash their predessescor. That is what T3 did. No, T2 was NOT a rehash of T1. Reason being, there were two terminators. I know, doesn't sound like much. Take into consideration the time this film was made. Making it two terminators instead of one along with the fact that you could watch it without even having to consider what took place before is what makes it a good sequel.

T3 failed in delivering a fresh story and making it feasible. Cameron had original plans for a T3 that featured SkyNet sending back cyborgs to work at Cyberdyne to speed up they process. They were rejected of course because they were not following the forumula that had already been proven effective. This is why the "big bucks" destroyed T3. They tried to stick with the same idea. Someone mentioned the CG crap they overloaded too. T2 was WAY ahead of it's time and the special effects are still impressive to date. T3 special effects are shit; plain and simple.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 10:34 PM
Konjammenson is currently offline Click here to Send Konjammenson a Private Message Find more posts by Konjammenson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chriscaffee

T2 was a rehash. Almost scene for scene.

Protector meets innocent character and there is a fight scene followed by a car chase. Villian crashes hero gets away. Villian meets up with hero again, another fight breaks out, hero gets away in a vehicle leaving villian on foot.

Final chase the heros and villians are both in a vehicles. They both crash. They aquire new vehicles (okay Reese and Sarah ran) and the chase continues into some factory/plant where the final battle takes place and the villian dies by shear luck.

Insert romantic/paternal subplot and stop Judgment Day subplot and you have essentially the same movie. Different tones but it's the same story.

Last edited by chriscaffee on Nov 8th, 2005 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 02:55 AM
chriscaffee is currently offline Click here to Send chriscaffee a Private Message Find more posts by chriscaffee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

Good point

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 07:14 PM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kenty T-1000
t3h b4dg3r slayz0r!

I found T3 interesting to watch and it was good for what it was. It did however lack the brilliance of the first two films.

I still watch T3 from time to time because it's something quite good to watch, regardless of the flaws.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 03:45 PM
Kenty T-1000 is currently offline Click here to Send Kenty T-1000 a Private Message Find more posts by Kenty T-1000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

I totally agree with you Kenty T-100.

I have a real soft spot for T3. I think it is a great movie, but compared with the first two, it is very clear that it isn't as good.

I watch T3 more than the first two. I think the acting in it is fantastic. Nick and Clair are great! I don't care what other people have to say, I love the acting in the film!

Not as good as the first two, but still a great film in my eyes.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 05:34 PM
crAZRick
I'm God here!

yeah, T3 is a decent attempt to keep the franchise moving forward, rather than just leave it open-ended, letting us assume that everything plays out as was set forth in the original, now that Judgment Day has become inevitable and all...

it's the same as the Halloween franchise; you can choose to watch the first best original, and call it a night, or you can watch back to back to back non-stop saga, of whichever length you wish, and still be entertained by some portions of each consecutive flick...

especially when you consider how Kyle set up the future events in T1 when he told Sarah the History of Things to Come and she said something about his info being the future, and he says: 'One possible future...' all the follow-ups from T1 show events slightly altered, other versions of possible futures...

it works for what it is, just another sequel

'I'm back!'
'Come with me if you want to live!'
'You're terminated!'

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 04:57 AM
crAZRick is currently offline Click here to Send crAZRick a Private Message Find more posts by crAZRick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sardaukar

The whole technological progression from T2 to T3 was still possible despite the T-800 in T2 being smelted due to the fact that in one scene where the two of them are fighting near a huge wheel with a conveyor, the T-800 gets his arm jammed in the device and forcibly marches away, ripping his arm off at the elbow in the process - this arm was left in that wheel and not destroyed, hence leaving 'evidence' that could still lead to Skynet's creation. No one can say that this arm was never found, as I'm fairly sure that government agencies would be investigating the massive liquid nitrogen spill that occurred there earlier in the movie

Old Post Apr 13th, 2009 09:21 AM
Sardaukar is currently offline Click here to Send Sardaukar a Private Message Find more posts by Sardaukar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

I never noticed that, completely forgot about the arm.

It would be nice though if T3 actually mentioned it and laid these questions to rest. I still get the feeling they really didn't know how to explain it, so avoided doing so altogether.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 11:48 PM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

They could of explained a lot in T3, but that shouldn't stop the writers from trying to explain things in the latter films to come.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 08:28 AM
U Neek
Mr

The concept of T3 was right (multiple targets instead of just JC). Just the execution of the film was pretty poor. I was of the thinking that if Jim Cameron wasn't going to direct the 3rd movie then perhaps there shouldn't be one. But then without T3 there would be no T4 and I really want to watch T4.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 06:28 PM
U Neek is currently offline Click here to Send U Neek a Private Message Find more posts by U Neek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

Me too eek!

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 07:32 PM
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

Oh, so hang on... does T4 precede from T3 directly? Where do the Sarah Conner Chronicles fit in?

(I read somewhere that the series ignored the T3 events).

Old Post Apr 27th, 2009 02:41 AM
barand1

I think the film makers of Salvation would of really liked to have ignored T3 (McG and Bale always talk about the first two films - Bale has said he, quote, "doesn't know what that was doing" when referring to T3), but luckly it doesn't (as we can see with Kate Brewster being in the film and no Sarah etc). The film takes place, I think, 12 years from T3, setting the film in the year 2018.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles plays no part in the film(s).

Old Post Apr 27th, 2009 07:45 AM
Jonathan_Reese

Re: My Terminator 3 Rant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ocelot
And since the T-1000 is already liquid at room temperature, it would have a lower vaporization temperature than a solid object. The result? Enstead of that plasma cannon, it's possible the T-X could melt away the T-1000 using only it's flame thrower.

Huge Hole in your theory buddy!. That is a totally bogus assumtion about the melting point of the liquid metal/mimetic poly alloy. First of all the T-X survives not only open flames in T3, but also being crushed by Steel Shrapnal. Second The T-X is not "liquid" at room temperature. that is not liquid metal. Have you ever heard or read about Nano Technology, becasue that is exactly what they are reffering to or implying, although that term wasnt even invented at the time this movie was filmed, this is obviously what they mean. Liquid allow itself obsiously would never have to ability to change shape or move on its own and would otherwise be knows as "mercury" as it has to technological significance or A.I. (artificial intelligence). I know it appears as liquid metal, buts it's actually supposed to be millions of tiny "nano-bots" formed together. It is "the ability to form shapes and metal objects, and mimic whatever it touches" and this technology already exists today, A very recent technological breakthrough.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 03:52 PM
Jonathan_Reese is currently offline Click here to Send Jonathan_Reese a Private Message Find more posts by Jonathan_Reese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote