KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Achievements and Gamerscore.

Achievements and Gamerscore.
Started by: Slay

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Achievements and Gamerscore.

Everybody can see how many games you've played and how good you are at them, on Xbox Live, and PS3 Home is getting a system like that as well. I had a discussion about it with some of my friends the other day, main question was this: Are Gamerscores important (do you try to get every achievement etc) or are they just a tool for playing a digital game of ''who has the largest penis''?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 12:43 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

They're meaningless; though it is a good marketing ploy, as I know lots of people* who buy games just to get the achievements.

*idiots/****s/corporate brainwashed whores.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 02:30 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kenshinswife
Flash Cry

Im kinda on the river and bank with this one....um before i started gettong better on live i only had achievments and stuff done because i didnt have anything better to do to. But as time progressed its become one those "yea, look what im packin" type things. although in the end it really doesnt matter because you can have a low gamerscore (like mine) and still end up whoopin ass on Live...their meanigless numbers when it comes down to pure skill.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 02:40 PM
Kenshinswife is currently offline Click here to Send Kenshinswife a Private Message Find more posts by Kenshinswife Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Achievements can be addictive. In the beginnings you think of them as something stupid, but the more points you are awarded with the more achievements you want to unlock. It's a fact achievements do extend a game's overall replay value.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 03:24 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
They're meaningless; though it is a good marketing ploy, as I know lots of people* who buy games just to get the achievements.

*idiots/****s/corporate brainwashed whores.

I agree with you on that one.

I dont mind achievement points but I rarely play a game just to get them. I see them as the same thing as trying to get highest score in the old school NES, arcade games.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 05:39 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Im not addicted to the points, but I do get a little happy when one pops up. And when I have a choice between playing a game on 360 compared to the other two systems, i pick 360 for live and achievements.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 05:43 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Points and Achievements aren't anything new. During the golden age of Arcades there were games that would give you tickets for high scores and all you had to do was to exchange it for a prize at the booth.

It's nothing new....Just makes the kiddies want to spend some more. The Fun factor remains or increases base on your skills.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 05:50 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

I could care less about the Achievements.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 06:11 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I like them, it's not like I go after doing them, but I like it when one suddenly pops up.

Originally posted by InnerRise
I could care less about the Achievements.

Did you mean that or did you do the typical US spelling mistake?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 06:22 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Morridini
I like them, it's not like I go after doing them, but I like it when one suddenly pops up.

Did you mean that or did you do the typical US spelling mistake?
I meant it.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 07:31 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Hmm, ok, so if you "could care less", it means that you do care about it.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 09:22 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by AstroFan
Im not addicted to the points, but I do get a little happy when one pops up. And when I have a choice between playing a game on 360 compared to the other two systems, i pick 360 for live and achievements.

Yeah, I've noticed people do that. It is quite fun, when they are properly set out, for actual achievements of gameplay. Not 'Go out of your way to kill 1000000 soldiers', or whatever.

I don't see that they particularly extend the life of a game, at least not artificially anyway. If I'm bored of a game, I'm going to be even more bored getting the 'drive in a circle for an hour' achievement.

Also, they should put that 'could care less' thing in the syllabus of all high school English courses in the US.

Or, people should actually think about the words they say.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 09:38 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Or maybe they shouldn't care. I hate it when people over analyze stuff like that. It's a figure of speech, get over it.

Anyway I like the Achievements. It makes me want to play the game longer, it's like bonus objectives in a game.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 10:21 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

But it's not a figure of speech, "I couldn't care less" is a figure of speech, "I could care less" is just bad US grammar.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 10:24 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Funny, I've seen people from all over the world do it all the time. On a daily basis, actually. I just... ya know, ignore it erm

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 10:30 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
Funny, I've seen people from all over the world do it all the time. On a daily basis, actually. I just... ya know, ignore it erm

Well, you do what you want, let others do what they want.

It's slightly shaky ground talking about live and let live when you are telling others what to do.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 01:20 AM
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

i think it really depends on what kind of gamer you are, if you're like hardcore-underground lol then you'd obviously care about gamerscore, it just shows other people that you actually played the game, and played it decent-well depending on what achievements you got

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 01:28 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Achievements are a fun diversion, sometimes giving enough motivation to go do that little extra thing that I wouldn't normally do.

I agree with VVD though, when they're implimented poorly it's a real drag.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 01:29 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like GRAW's

"Host over a thousand games on LIVE"

"Get a career total of 500 headshots", and both of these for only 25 posts.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 01:37 AM
Kenshinswife
Flash Cry

Originally posted by Morridini
But it's not a figure of speech, "I couldn't care less" is a figure of speech, "I could care less" is just bad US grammar.

Well, I.R. is technically right if you wanna get all technical on him. When he said "I could care less" meaning yea he cares but its not all that much of a priority. He doesnt go out buying games just for achievments nor does he completely go out of his way to ignore them. I dont see any "bad US grammar there" just good ole fashion wit. wink

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 03:47 AM
Kenshinswife is currently offline Click here to Send Kenshinswife a Private Message Find more posts by Kenshinswife Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote