KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Spider-man: Life Story

Spider-man: Life Story
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Spider-man: Life Story

Has anybody checked this out yet? It's going to be a six issue mini-series. Every issue is set during a major event each decade. The first is the 60s and the last will be the 2010s. Pete will age normally throughout it (meaning he'll be pushing or past 70 by the final issue). It's witten by Chip Zdarsky (Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man) and drawn by Mark Bagley (Ultimate Spider-Man).

I read the first issue and I'm already onboard. It was a great start and I can't wait to see it all play out. The art is phenomenal too. It reminds me of 60s Spidey artists but with a Bagley twist.

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post Apr 4th, 2019 02:22 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

So Pete actually ages for this story....like what you'd get with a Manga story.

Last edited by Kazenji on Apr 4th, 2019 at 02:48 AM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2019 02:41 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Yep. The idea of Spidey aging in real time (as in actually maturing and living his life as opposed to the inept man-child Petes been in 616 since the BND arc) from the 60s up and having to deal with real life changing political and social climates sounds like a dream to me. One of the best aspects of Spidey to me is how he grows develops in comics, from a high schooler to a college student to a grown man with a wif career (not to mention juggling his double life with all that). Getting all that and more but with an actual ending is a story I've wanted for probably close to a decade now.

Also, Bagley is my all time favorite Spidey artist. He's only gotten better through the years. He's in top form for this miniseries.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Apr 4th, 2019 at 04:02 AM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2019 03:59 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Issue 2 was phenomenal. There were a few things that bothered me though. Obviously big spoilers so read the issue first.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Everyone seemed a bit overly aggressive. Pete laying into Reed and that dig about Sue leaving him for Namor seemed cold and OOC, though I get Reeds choice on the matter they were arguing about clashed with Petes view of responsibility. The smartest man in the world refuses to use his inventions to advance society? Nah.

MJ laying into Pete and blaming him for Flash's death in Vietnam was also cold. Sure she was drunk, but that means that was still her actual opinion. Still, this was something Pete thought about in the first issue. Spidey could have told Flash not to go, but he didn't. All it would have taken to save Flash was a conversation and Pete knew this at the time, so she's not wrong. I also get this is MJ before her character growth (still a high on life party girl). She didn't mature and grow into Peters support until Gwen died in cannon either. It was a wake up call, and it served the same here.

Otherwise, I liked how this issue was an adaptation of Clone Saga and Death of Gwen Stacy. They did this part well and it led to one dark chapter in Spidey's life. Norman has been rotting in jail for 10 years and he's still finding ways to wreck Peter. I also loved the ending with Pete and MJ. That scene perfectly encapsulates what their relationship has always been about.

Anyway, next issue is the 80s. Peter will around 40. The cover seems to be Spidey in his black costume and in a coffin, which means it's going to adapt Kravens Last Hunt (kind of cool Pete and Kraven will be similar in age).

I wonder if the 90s will adapt Maximum Carnage. Pete in his 50s against Carnage in his prime would be freaking brutal. It's gonna be rough seeing an aged Peter go against his villains as they show up in their prime.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 26th, 2019 07:43 PM
Arachnid1

The third issue was great, though I prefer the first two. Some cool stuff, a few complaints. Overall they did a great job of melding multiple stories and their impact in the OG comics.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Cool way of adapting the Secret Wars origin of the symbiote and Kraven's Last Hunt. I loved the new take of Venom/Spidey breaking out of the grave. I also liked Peter moving ahead with his life and founding Parker Industries. His own company and twins with MJ? Good life developments.

Aunt May going senile is also a new element I like. It's a sad but realistic outcome of age and it's cool to see Pete wrestling with such a real choice when Aunt May becomes a potential danger to his newborns. That said, I'm not a fan of his choice. It didn't make sense to me that he chose Aunt May over MJ and his kids (again, like OMD). It's a sucky position but he needs to make the mature choice here and put his wife/kids first. At the very least, get her a caretaker. Dude has his own company so money shouldn't be an issue (I'm surprised he hasn't discovered some comic book way to recover her senses but I'm glad this isn't an easy fix). One of the aspects I like most about Spidey is the rough and real life choices he always has to make, but I didn't agree with him in OMD or here. I do wish we explored his thoughts on the matter a bit more though. This wasn't a choice he really struggled with. It was a quick decision when he should have considered both options.

I also liked Peter having to deal with getting weaker in his old age (we're only halfway through and this is already almost getting him killed), and him wrestling with the dependence he has on the symbiote as a potential answer to this predicament. This is a really good personal dilemma that's better handled than in the OG comics thanks to better reasoning to both options.

The Cold War with Russia developing into a full scale war when all the US heroes disappear to Battleworld was also great. I wouldn't mind a spin off to explore Caps story in Vietnam and Russia. I just wish we had more info on these aspects as opposed to them mostly being background noise to Pete's personal problems (not that I want Pete involved in these wars; I just want more exploration of them in general).

Anyway, next issue is the 90s. I'm not sure what they plan to adapt (no hints on the cover I can interpret).

PWNT

Old Post May 22nd, 2019 04:13 PM
riv6672

Its been pretty interesting so far. Not what i was hoping for action wise, but quality stuff, worth reading.

Old Post May 22nd, 2019 07:40 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

I love this series. Maybe the best Spider-Man comics to come out in years.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2019 09:26 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Check out the first Namor story for art.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Everett
I bet when he was young that he used to wonder why the elevator rests in the middle of the shaft. Sorta like the story of Uncle Ben.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Last edited by Wonder Man on Aug 24th, 2019 at 03:26 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2019 03:21 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
I love this series. Maybe the best Spider-Man comics to come out in years.

I’m not willing to say that, but it was an interesting take, w. great art.
Spidey was the perfect choice for this treatment.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2019 02:21 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by riv6672
I’m not willing to say that, but it was an interesting take, w. great art.
Spidey was the perfect choice for this treatment.
Agreed, though it could have benefitted from a solid 5-10 issue arc per decade. Things went by waaaay too quick and I really didn't like the final issue.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ock's heal turn to villain despite his reformation and love with May didn't make sense to me. Why tf would he STILL be trying to kill her only family when he's fully aware of the turn?

Why did Kraven/Venom wait three decades to show back up in Pete's life?

Also, when I think Spidey, I don't think "space adventure to stop Doctor Doom from world domination after all the other heroes have died". The final issue should have been a more personal story that ends in Spideys self-sacrifice.

This had a great start IMO but the ending dropped the ball and stained it all for me.

PWNT

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 01:53 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Agreed, though it could have benefitted from a solid 5-10 issue arc per decade. Things went by waaaay too quick and I really didn't like the final issue.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ock's heal turn to villain despite his reformation and love with May didn't make sense to me. Why tf would he STILL be trying to kill her only family when he's fully aware of the turn?

Why did Kraven/Venom wait three decades to show back up in Pete's life?

Also, when I think Spidey, I don't think "space adventure to stop Doctor Doom from world domination after all the other heroes have died". The final issue should have been a more personal story that ends in Spideys self-sacrifice.

This had a great start IMO but the ending dropped the ball and stained it all for me.

You make good points.
I think if the series had been longer, it might have gone towards addressing a lot of what you had problems with. You know, given a little more depth to characters and situations, to explain their actions.

I tell what though, that last panel? I really dug it.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 03:56 AM