KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Wii Lightsaber Game?

Wii Lightsaber Game?
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Wii Lightsaber Game?

Pretty nifty cool idea:

Wii Lightsaber controller

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 06:57 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, one of the oldest ideas going about the Wii.

But FAR more fraught with problems than many people seem to want to consider.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 06:58 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm thinking is going to be a new Jedi Academy game...exclusive for the Wii.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 07:33 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

Disappointing.

Maybe we'll meet again...
Wandering Flame (one of the best pieces in the Final Fantasy X soundtrack) happy

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 08:08 PM
Wandering Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Wandering Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Wandering Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah disappointing for all the non-Wii owners no expression

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 08:26 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

LMAO, right.

Wandering Flame (one of the best pieces in the Final Fantasy X soundtrack) happy

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 08:39 PM
Wandering Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Wandering Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Wandering Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wish I hadn't jumped the gun and bought a 360. I could've waited the two months to buy a Wii sad

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 09:02 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

The idea seems pretty cool to me, although you could sword fight in Red Steel I believe.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 10:02 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I like the premise a lot.

However, similar games like Red Steel was such a let down because of the controller issues.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 10:14 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

red steel used preset positions for the sword (i.e. hold it 'this' way to do this.. and 'that' way to block / parry etc)

if the lightsaber game uses the full range of what wiimote is capable of you may have a decent 1v1 saber duel

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 10:42 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Does any consider what would happen when the in game swords collide? The wiimote cant simulate that and magically stop your arm. lol

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 11:56 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AstroFan
Does any consider what would happen when the in game swords collide? The wiimote cant simulate that and magically stop your arm. lol
so?.. hitting the ball in wii tennis didnt send a shock up your arm either.. but was still fun to play

perhaps they'll have a collision cutscene where you rapidly press A to break it... or maybe you can psyche em out and pull back on the blade to leave the enemy open.. there are lots of ways to handle such a situation and still keep it fun

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 12:31 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd love to see a video of two people sword fighting using the wiimote laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 01:02 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
red steel used preset positions for the sword (i.e. hold it 'this' way to do this.. and 'that' way to block / parry etc)

if the lightsaber game uses the full range of what wiimote is capable of you may have a decent 1v1 saber duel

And THAT is a precise example of what I said above about people not wanting to consider things.

Why do so many people fail to think properly about this issue?

Red Steel did the only sensible thing. An attempt to do fully mapped sword fighting would be a pile of total crap.

You CANNOT simulate 'proper' lightsabre duels using the Wiimote. You can't move your feet enough and you cannot simulate your body posiition, which is vital for the 1-1 fighting that people seem to want. And as noted, you cannot simulate blade clash.

It is a foolish dream. Any control system for swords would be in a similar manner to Red Steel's. I am sure there is room for improvement on that, but NOT what people seem to keen to imagine.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 01:21 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Well what we need is a rumble feature for the Wii-Mote that would tell you to pull out of a blade lock.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 05:19 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That makes no difference to the problem at all, the problem being that true 1-1 immersion is impossible.

It's always going to be some variant of what they did in Red Steel.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 11:57 AM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Originally posted by Ushgarak
And THAT is a precise example of what I said above about people not wanting to consider things.

Why do so many people fail to think properly about this issue?

Red Steel did the only sensible thing. An attempt to do fully mapped sword fighting would be a pile of total crap.

You CANNOT simulate 'proper' lightsabre duels using the Wiimote. You can't move your feet enough and you cannot simulate your body posiition, which is vital for the 1-1 fighting that people seem to want. And as noted, you cannot simulate blade clash.

It is a foolish dream. Any control system for swords would be in a similar manner to Red Steel's. I am sure there is room for improvement on that, but NOT what people seem to keen to imagine.

the only way they'll ever find out how to go about making a lightsaber based dueling game is if they try and screw up

sitting here saying "its gonna suck" is just as pointless as pointing out that its not going to be as good as the movies

if they make it I'm gonna check it out.. but of course I dont expect it to win any editors choice or game of the year awards

you call pre-mapped controls, on a motion sensor controller... a sensible thing?..confused

the Wii system is based on interfacing with a game in intuitive ways..(as opposed to half-assed console to console ports which take the gimmick method of just remapping the controls) pre-mapped is the total opposite of intuitive... its flat out lazy

we'll never hit the next age of gaming with red steels lazy logic

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 10:16 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I didn;t say it's going to suckj. I said it's not going to be this mapped 1:1 perfect simulation dream that people tend to babble on about ]because that is not possible

I do call it a sensible thing, yes, because it works. As opposed to your idea which does not. Incidentally, just by meting motion activcated the controls were automatically more inutitive.

As I say, they xan be imrpvoed. But to try and map them directly is an idiot's game. And they really will not try it.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 10:23 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I do call it a sensible thing, yes, because it works. As opposed to your idea which does not. Incidentally, just by meting motion activcated the controls were automatically more inutitive.

because, incidentally, you've played a game that included "my idea" for you to say that it doesnt work?

just giving it motion controller support doesnt make it intuitive.. thats just a gimmick.. designing the control scheme around what the motion controller is capable of, is intuitive

As I say, they xan be imrpvoed. But to try and map them directly is an idiot's game. And they really will not try it.

then they should move about their business and make it on ps2... pre-mapped design can be performed on a digital pad just as easily if not much faster and more precise

they're wasting what the controller is capable of

I dont disagree that its a difficult task to undertake.. but if they want to do it at least partially right, I would suggest having full control of the blade...

Last edited by SaTsuJiN on Jun 29th, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 11:26 PM
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
so?.. hitting the ball in wii tennis didnt send a shock up your arm either.. but was still fun to play

perhaps they'll have a collision cutscene where you rapidly press A to break it... or maybe you can psyche em out and pull back on the blade to leave the enemy open.. there are lots of ways to handle such a situation and still keep it fun
Well when playing Tennis, the racket doesn't suddenly stop on impact when hitting the ball. It continues in motion after hitting the ball.

When coming in contact with another sword, you stop b/c of the force of the other sword against yours.

I see what you're saying though.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE for it to be achieved, if only to come close to it.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 01:30 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote