KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » What's with games going to different consoles while their tags say "Only on"?

What's with games going to different consoles while their tags say "Only on"?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

What's with games going to different consoles while their tags say "Only on"?

I don't get it. Why is it that games like Dead Rising or Bioshock are moving to different consoles while the tags on their boxart say "Only on Xbox 360"? It seems a bit of whack if you ask me and I think those guys shouldn't place that tag on the boxart at all. Dead Rising moves to Wii, Bioshock moves to the PS3. Now I wouldn't be suprised if the rumors about Gears of War coming PS3 are true.

What are your opinions about this?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 02:15 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

The people who designed the cover couldn't see into the future perhaps?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 02:21 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

What a stupid question.

It's because when the game was first made, it was exclusive to just that one system. Not the designer's fault that a year or more later it was decided to port the game over to another system.

Come on, think once in a while before making threads...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:06 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bioshock isn't an Xbox exclusive anymore?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:08 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

No, it's coming out on the PS3 at...some point in the future.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:32 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I think it's coming out in October.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:34 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I don't really have a problem with games moving to different systems, I'm just wondering why they moved them when they say it's only for that one console.

I do hope Left 4 Dead comes to the PS3 like rumors say.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:37 PM
Peach
mordrem

They moved them despite what the cover art said because a stamp on a box that says "Only on 360" is not legally binding. And, really, the games WERE only available on that one system for a long time.

It's...not difficult.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:39 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

they can get around it by putting content specific to a console...for example having different unlockable characters...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:53 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I don't really have a problem with games moving to different systems, I'm just wondering why they moved them when they say it's only for that one console.

I do hope Left 4 Dead comes to the PS3 like rumors say.

theres a 50-50 chance Left 4 Dead will come to PS3, there was a recent article stating, Valve has decided to re evaluate their stance towards PS3, now that PS3 is selling. haha

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 05:26 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Just look at what happened with Resident Evil 4. It was, at first, exclusively for Gamecube. The producers said that it would, most definitely, stay that way. Then a PS2 port was released, then, after that, a Wii port was released.

The "Exclusivity" tag is a joke, if you ask me.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:55 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

id say, if it was published by nintendo, sony or microsoft, than that particular game may not make an apperance on another system

Bioshock was developed by parts of 2K and was published by 2K, Dead Rising by Capcom, same with Resident Evil 4, so i dont think there was an legal thing that binds these games to whichever console they only appeared on at that time

If Infinite Undiscovery doesnt do to well (cuz Japan doesnt sell a lot of 360s), then i can see Square Enix porting a PS3 version to boost sales

as far as that Gears of War on PS3 rumoured form the topic starter, i believe MS only signed a two game deal, which leaves the 3rd game still open to any platform.

Mass Effect 2 - which is now being handled by EA instead of MS, might makes its way to PS3 too.

the "Only On" exclusive title should only be applied to true exclusives/first-second party gamesm like Sony's God of War, Gran Turismo, 360's Halo, Fable, Nintendo's Mario, Metroid, etc.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 10:37 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Peach
No, it's coming out on the PS3 at...some point in the future.

with a survivor mode and some other things, although the survivor mode sounds pointless.

But yeah it's because at that point in time it was only on a Microsoft or Sony system, i don't think the designers knew it would go to PS3 or Wii or whatever console it may be.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 11:08 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by xNIXSONx
theres a 50-50 chance Left 4 Dead will come to PS3, there was a recent article stating, Valve has decided to re evaluate their stance towards PS3, now that PS3 is selling. haha

Yeah, it wont be Valve doing the port, it will probably be the same EA that did Orange Box.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:02 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Re: What's with games going to different consoles while their tags say "Only on"?

Originally posted by Nemesis X
I don't get it. Why is it that games like Dead Rising or Bioshock are moving to different consoles while the tags on their boxart say "Only on Xbox 360"? It seems a bit of whack if you ask me and I think those guys shouldn't place that tag on the boxart at all. Dead Rising moves to Wii, Bioshock moves to the PS3. Now I wouldn't be suprised if the rumors about Gears of War coming PS3 are true.

What are your opinions about this?

Dead rising is as old as the xbox 360 is. What do you expect Microsoft to do, recall all copies of dead rising and Bioshock so that they can change the covers? At one point and even still, those games were exclusive to the 360. I really do not see the problem here.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:58 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

There were rumors that dead rising was gonna be on the PS3 this was of course before the game came out and of course that stayed an exclusive for the 360.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 10:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

Originally posted by Kazenji
There were rumors that dead rising was gonna be on the PS3 this was of course before the game came out and of course that stayed an exclusive for the 360.

people behind Dead Rising, that decided to bring it to Wii were asked if we'll see Dead Rising on PS3, and that rep said "this isnt the last you'll see of Dead Rising" so that has led people to believe a PS3 version may come. hopefully optmized for the system, since they did it for the wii (as gimped as it now is)

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 04:28 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by xNIXSONx
people behind Dead Rising, that decided to bring it to Wii were asked if we'll see Dead Rising on PS3, and that rep said "this isnt the last you'll see of Dead Rising" so that has led people to believe a PS3 version may come. hopefully optmized for the system, since they did it for the wii (as gimped as it now is)

Or it could mean a sequel.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 07:42 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Or it could mean a sequel.

it could, although most people like Kotaku or other gaming sites rather believe itll be a PS3 version, since it's not ruled out, but yeah, there was talk of a sequel too, that takes place in Vegas supposedly

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 11:38 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

They're called timed exclusives. Not a new thing at all.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 11:39 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote