KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » 2D gaming on current consoles.

Preferred 2D visual style.
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
NextGen visuals(ex: Bionic Commando) 3 50.00%
Artistic/Cartoon visuals(ex: Braid) 2 33.33%
Retro visuals(ex: Mega Man 9) 1 16.67%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

2D gaming on current consoles.
Started by: <-@ST->

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
@stroFan
SMUDGE

2D gaming on current consoles.

With XBLA/PSN and I guess WiiWare becoming home to more ambitious games lately, I was wondering what you like to see in terms of style.

Bionic Commando Rearmed was just released with all the mechanics of the old game, but with full blown 3D graphics and all the visual effects of next gen games. We also have games like Braid and Castle Crashers, which go for artsy or cartoony animated look. And soon Mega Man 9 will be out boasting true 8 bit graphics ripped straight out of the classic NES games.

When I first saw Mega Man, I thought it looked pretty cool, but it wore off pretty quick. I really like the cartoony/animated style of games like Castle Crashers, since with current systems you can basically make a pixel perfect playable cartoon. But after playing Rearmed, I love the style of the game, seeing classic mechanics with current graphics and things like physics engines. So I vote for BC's visual style.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Last edited by @stroFan on Sep 1st, 2008 at 01:16 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 01:11 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

With some of the games i prefer 2D like megaman and the X games. The X games are'nt that great in 3D.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 08:52 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I think Maverick Hunter X looked good.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 10:36 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

braid...and the new version of 1942 on XBLA look amazing and play great

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 10:39 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

2D gaming doesn't bother me at all, in some respects I think I prefer it.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 04:20 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

i like sidescrollers with like a next gen look, based on the last Sonic games, he can never work in 3d space, if Sonic was on a 2D plane, but had next gen visuals, it would work perfectly (i think thats what they realized with the new Sonic game)

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 04:44 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
i like sidescrollers with like a next gen look, based on the last Sonic games, he can never work in 3d space, if Sonic was on a 2D plane, but had next gen visuals, it would work perfectly (i think thats what they realized with the new Sonic game)

Indeed, lets hope it can work well this time.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 05:03 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Yea I agree, I would love for say Nintendo to use the MArio Galaxy engine and make a fully 2D Wii Mario game that looked like Galaxy. It would be amazing. And I would LOVE for Capcom to bring Megaman X back to its 2D roots with current gen graphics.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 12:15 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

2D is awesome. Next-Gen visuals are nice, but it doesn't make for a better game, IMO.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 12:24 AM
Impediment is online now! Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
2D is awesome. Next-Gen visuals are nice, but it doesn't make for a better game, IMO.

Agreed...having both is always a good combo as well.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 12:25 AM
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Exactly, imagine a 2D Wii Mario game in the same vein as New Super Mario Bros. for the DS but using the Mario Galaxy engine and the Wiimote on its side al la NES. It would be amazing. I mean Galaxy itself had a few 2D parts which were some of the best parts in the game, and they looked awesome. I'd love for Nintendo to do that.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 03:40 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

if the game can pull it off, I'd like 3d visuals (like.. Ikaruga was beautiful)

it really depends on the game mechanics for me.. sometimes 2d visuals dont cut it, IMO

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Sep 5th, 2008 07:16 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote