KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » What's your favorite free roaming videogame?

Which of these are your favorite free roaming game?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Mass Effect 1 3.85%
Assassins Creed 1 3.85%
Grand Theft Auto IV 7 26.92%
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3 11.54%
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II 0 0%
Crackdown 2 7.69%
Elder Scrolls Oblivion 5 19.23%
Grand Theft Auto Sanandreas 6 23.08%
Destroy All Humans! 1 3.85%
The Darknesss 0 0%
Total: 26 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What's your favorite free roaming videogame?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

What's your favorite free roaming videogame?

What's your favorite free roaming videogame and why?

Old Post Oct 11th, 2008 11:51 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

GTA SA pc big grin
me and my friends would spend hours chasing eachother all over the state...good times stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 12:12 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

What do you define free-roaming as?
I never expected to see ME, and the KotOR games there.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 09:10 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Oblivion. (Epic personified)

Then Saints Row,which may soon be deposed by 2.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:06 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

The Darkness is not at all a free roam game.

I would say the champ is GTA; San Andreas. There was SO much to do in that game. Oblivion, Fable, Ocarina of time and mario 64 are also exceptional free roam games, or at least were for their time.

Crackdown was fun and could have been fuking epic but the entire city all looked the same.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:13 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Spider-Man 2, Gothic, Fable or GTA 4

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 12:00 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Half those games listed are not free-roam.

And free-roam games tend to bore me very fast.

San Andreas I've found to be the most entertaining for the longest amount of time, though.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 02:48 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Crackdown, by some kind of country mile.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 04:16 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

San Andreas had the most variety and fun...crackdown was ace because of the crazy morpheus style building to building jumps...and the fact that you could volley a truck into a bunch of bad guys to kill them has to be one of the most fun things ever

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 04:57 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

From the options given by the poll, I chose GTA4.

Not listed, I choose Twilight Princess and Spider-Man 2.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 05:29 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Speaking of free roaming, shouldn't games like WoW that has an open world be considered free roaming?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:13 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Absolutely.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:23 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

You can also talk about other free roam games that aren't in the poles.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:37 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i never even knew they had electricity in the poles

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:43 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
Half those games listed are not free-roam.

And free-roam games tend to bore me very fast.

San Andreas I've found to be the most entertaining for the longest amount of time, though.

just out of curiosity, What games do you NOT find boring?

GTA San Andreas by far, there was so much to do in that game, but most of the time I played it, I was creating mayhem and seeing how long I lasted in a 5 stars wanted level

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
The Darkness is not at all a free roam game.

I would say the champ is GTA; San Andreas. There was SO much to do in that game. Oblivion, Fable, Ocarina of time and mario 64 are also exceptional free roam games, or at least were for their time.

Crackdown was fun and could have been fuking epic but the entire city all looked the same.

Isn't Mario 64 a platformer?

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 07:01 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Oblivion that game was fecking epic. Though I think Fallout 3 might take the cake.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 09:22 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

I wouldn't consider a lot of those games free rome. What are you defining it as? For sandbox games its gotta be GTAIV.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 03:07 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Out of these I'd have to say Mass Effect, but that's because it's story is epic.

However... Where are any Zelda Games? You could've atleast put Ocarina of Time!

Last edited by Mandrag Ganon on Oct 13th, 2008 at 03:18 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 03:15 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Free-roaming games are often overrated.

In most of the games listed, sure, you can go all over a city, maybe even do "normal" things like watch TV, or whatever. However, those games are boring as shit without the missions, which are usually linear.

Doing free-roaming stuff is fun for a while, but it gets boring SO fast because there really is hardly anything to do. The missions make the environment better, usually.

Crackdown had the most "freedom" of all of those anyway. Freedom of accessing areas in a large world, anyway. Not literal freedom of being able to go in any building etc.

As someone said when we were discussing it; the big attraction in say, Dead Rising, is the fact that you're running around this intricate mall, looking at all the various, independently designed sections, shows, secret paths, and wondering "OH MAN! I can go in all of these!", but you don't have time. It makes you appreciate it a lot more.

Then, in between missions when you actually have to wait for the next one, you do have free time, and it's just enough to not get bored.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 03:59 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Reading through this, I realized that there's no clear line between "free roam" and "not free roam."

It used to be that free roam was when you could do stuff in the game that didn't advance the story, since most games were very linear. Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall was an excellent example. But anymore, there are games that are very story-driven and have specific goals, but technically allow you to do "anything." Take Assassin's Creed. There's not much to do if you aren't going toward the story...but you can indeed wander and murder and such. Free roam? Linear? Or something in between? Because if we consider that free roam, a LOT of games come into play.

Same with Mass Effect. Stuff to do, but it's cursory stuff. It helps make the game world feel more real, gets you gear and XP and such, but if you aren't going toward the main story, or some smaller offshoot of the main story, you'll run out of things to do very quickly. I suppose it's technically free roam, but I don't like labeling it as such.

Anyway, Oblivion. Or Daggerfall for its time. Elder Scrolls does free roam like other companies only wish they could. Those games could stand alone without a main story. Hell, I played Daggerfall for dozens of hours, and couldn't tell you one thing about the main plot. How many other games could say that? For all the fun people have in the GTA's, Zeldas, and such, they need a driving motive.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 10:47 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote