KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Rental stores are terrible with videogames

Rental stores are terrible with videogames
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Rental stores are terrible with videogames

Rental stores are terrible with games and these are the reasons why:

1: Apparantley neither rental store has ever purchased a disc cleaner. A customer can return a game because it has a dozen scratches but the employees will sometimes go and say that can't do anything about it.

2: Rental stores these days usually have at least one or two copies of a game that suddenly gets out. Why only one or two? Why not five or six?

3: The employees look like nobody is home when somebody asks them about a videogame. When they finally "understand" you, they go and give you the wrong game by mistake and when you get home to play your rental, you'll soon realize it's not the game you wanted and you get pissed. Somebody's about to end up employee of the month for their "hard" work.

Does anyone else in here have issues with a rental store when it comes to videogames?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 10:06 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

No, because I don't rent games.

Disc cleaners don't work 99% of the time anyway. And chances are someone working in a movie rental store isn't there because of their knowledge of video games.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 10:18 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Yeah they should have more copies of their games would be my grievance.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 10:51 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

They are obsolete now next to online rentals, no late fees and pretty much every game and movie you could want. Through your letter box with a few clicks of the mouse.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 02:08 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

The only thing I've ever needed to fix up scratches is the buffering pad you get with those crankable disk cleaning kits.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 02:20 AM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Re: Rental stores are terrible with videogames

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
1: Apparantley neither rental store has ever purchased a disc cleaner.

Eww...dude, that's just...really, really eww.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 02:56 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Re: Rental stores are terrible with videogames

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Rental stores are terrible with games and these are the reasons why:

1: Apparantley neither rental store has ever purchased a disc cleaner. A customer can return a game because it has a dozen scratches but the employees will sometimes go and say that can't do anything about it.

2: Rental stores these days usually have at least one or two copies of a game that suddenly gets out. Why only one or two? Why not five or six?

3: The employees look like nobody is home when somebody asks them about a videogame. When they finally "understand" you, they go and give you the wrong game by mistake and when you get home to play your rental, you'll soon realize it's not the game you wanted and you get pissed. Somebody's about to end up employee of the month for their "hard" work.

Does anyone else in here have issues with a rental store when it comes to videogames?

1. That's just what happens. When hundreds of people play the same disc, its bound to have it dirty, or scratched.

2. The company pays a huge fee to allow people to rent these games. Its not just paying 60 bucks, its like over a hundred something per copy. If they dont think they will have a ton of people willing to rent this game, they wont stock it with numerous amounts of copies. Its just how it is. If its only 1 or 2, then your store sucks but its pretty common to have a store have 5-6 copies of one game. Thats enough. You want more, then expect a massive increase of price for that game.

3. That's your own damn fault. Check the box before you leave the store to see if its the right game, and check the disc just after you get it. If you dont, and some person does make a mistake (it happens, deal with it), then checking the disc before the you leave would easily deal the problem you had.

I dont have any issues to rental stores with videogames. The same thing happens with movies so its not just videogames that get the shaft. All your gripes are just expected when you rent anything. That's why its only 8-10 bucks to do so and not the full price of the game. Any problems you have (scrathed or dirty discs, wrong disc in container) are easily solved by going to the person and asking it to be fixed.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 02:50 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Since the dawn of "Next Gen" consoles. Renting video games at any store has become a goddamn hassle. Now, there are exceptions, if you can find an independent business that does their own thing but if you have to rely on chains, you're screwed. Blockbuster Rapes you on rental charges. First, you MUST possess a credit card which is used as collateral (understandable, but shit happens). paying $10 to rent one game for a week is insanity. you end up paying truck loads of doe for games that you really don't want to play because all of the good one's are out.
Hollywood Video, well, their selection just blows. I used to work for a Hollywood Video before they started tanking and they never carried any games but they were the choice spot to rent movies. Better service and better prices.

If you are not going to subscribe to some type of online renting system, you may as well just start buying used games because that is far more cheaper than renting from chains. Buy sell trade games. Personally, I suggest Gamefly. $20 a month for two games, all you can rent. I thought i would miss going to the video store and when it comes to movies and date night i still kind of do but i don't miss it one bit when it comes to games or personal movie rentals. Video stores are dead. Within the Next ten years there will be no video stores, just kiosks and online streaming and or rental.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 04:21 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Some places aren't good about it, but they're usually like the crappy ones you go to only because it's your only option. Most mainstream places are good about it, my favorite is Hollywood video they pack a lot of all the good games.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 11:57 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Since the dawn of "Next Gen" consoles. Renting video games at any store has become a goddamn hassle. Now, there are exceptions, if you can find an independent business that does their own thing but if you have to rely on chains, you're screwed. Blockbuster Rapes you on rental charges. First, you MUST possess a credit card which is used as collateral (understandable, but shit happens). paying $10 to rent one game for a week is insanity. you end up paying truck loads of doe for games that you really don't want to play because all of the good one's are out.
Hollywood Video, well, their selection just blows. I used to work for a Hollywood Video before they started tanking and they never carried any games but they were the choice spot to rent movies. Better service and better prices.

If you are not going to subscribe to some type of online renting system, you may as well just start buying used games because that is far more cheaper than renting from chains. Buy sell trade games. Personally, I suggest Gamefly. $20 a month for two games, all you can rent. I thought i would miss going to the video store and when it comes to movies and date night i still kind of do but i don't miss it one bit when it comes to games or personal movie rentals. Video stores are dead. Within the Next ten years there will be no video stores, just kiosks and online streaming and or rental.

Are you complaining that you need a credit card to rent movies/games?

If so, that's just whining.

It does suck that the prices have jumped dramatically but well, it cost 60 bucks to buy a game, so 10 dollars isnt that much for a game that you know is going to be good, but short.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 02:05 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

...Renting is still as easy for me as it was ten years ago.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 04:26 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
...Renting is still as easy for me as it was ten years ago.

Same. I don't get what the big deal is, though I agree with this still.

Originally posted by Magee
They are obsolete now next to online rentals, no late fees and pretty much every game and movie you could want. Through your letter box with a few clicks of the mouse.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 03:44 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Edit.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 09:30 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I rarely rent nowadays...back when I had my PS1 I would go up to 4 rentals...which was quite silly because I didn't really get to finish the first game.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 01:19 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I find it stupid with these rental places how they have RPGS for rental theres no way you can finish one of them in a day or 3 days.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 02:34 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Kazenji
I find it stupid with these rental places how they have RPGS for rental theres no way you can finish one of them in a day or 3 days.

Well, alot of times its a good thing to try it out first.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 04:51 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Smasandian
Are you complaining that you need a credit card to rent movies/games?

If so, that's just whining.

It does suck that the prices have jumped dramatically but well, it cost 60 bucks to buy a game, so 10 dollars isnt that much for a game that you know is going to be good, but short.

No, im complaining because my bank account gets frozen when i am 3 days late on return.

Whether it's a fair price or not, Ten Dollars is a lot of money. Ten Dollars for one game a week isn't bad at all. If, however you like to rent several games a week that price multiplies drastically. Consider your rental fee's over a few months time and your balls shrivel up. If you rent two movies and two games you are looking at $30-40. If you want to try a game before you buy or rent it, go online and try the demo's.

I'm really not complaining because i haven't rented a movie or video game from a video store in over two years. I pay $25 a month and i can rent as many games and movie's that i can play and watch. I just think that Renting is dead. Most people that i know who rent from places like blockbuster or Hollywood video are apart of the club that allows you to rent as much as possible for $10-15. When you can do that why would anyone pay the same price for one movie or game? It is ridiculous. Especially with the advent of Video kiosks that allow you to rent new and old movie's for $1. Then there is always the ever so convenient online medium.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Dec 24th, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 11:47 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Ten dollars for a game for a week isnt bad, but 3 games a week rental is bad?

Of course it is. Its three games. What do you expect?

Most games dont actually have a demo to play. So, you cant just dl the demo to try it out. For example, if you play an RPG, a demo wont show anything but renting the game will.

Im not saying its a good thing, but renting is not dead. Considering this thread is all about how you cant get a game shows that its not dead. Its still a viable business because there are numerous amounts of people who just want to try the game out, or rent the movie instead of buying it because its alot cheaper to rent a 5 dollar movie than buy the 25 dollar copy of it.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 04:42 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Smasandian
Ten dollars for a game for a week isnt bad, but 3 games a week rental is bad?

Of course it is. Its three games. What do you expect?

Most games dont actually have a demo to play. So, you cant just dl the demo to try it out. For example, if you play an RPG, a demo wont show anything but renting the game will.

Im not saying its a good thing, but renting is not dead. Considering this thread is all about how you cant get a game shows that its not dead. Its still a viable business because there are numerous amounts of people who just want to try the game out, or rent the movie instead of buying it because its alot cheaper to rent a 5 dollar movie than buy the 25 dollar copy of it.

I was just trying to show, that depending on the frequency of your renting, ten dollars can be either acceptable or expensive. If you are a casual renter then the prices are most likely more than acceptable to you. If however, you like to rent more than once a week rental prices are going to hurt.

Perhaps i used to term "dead" a bit to liberally but i believe without doubt that renting as we know it is dying and to most people, dead. Of course there is always going to be some type of video renting services. Whether this is done online or through video kiosks i expect to see the decline of video stores increase over the next decade.

Ten years ago there were little to no stores that dealt in buying selling and trading movie's. Today, they are everywhere. You can walk into a CD warehouse, Exchange or many different stores offering the same services and buy a new movie for $10 and then exchange the same movie for $3. The Hollywood Video i worked at suffered greatly by stores like these. This was before online renting and services like netflix. Now you can rent movie's for a $1. So, it is only a matter of time before Video stores become extinct.

No, you can't play a demo for every game but as time goes on this will change. Consoles offer a generous amount of demo's and are usually very good at listing both, highly anticipated titles as well as the more obscure ones. The demo's they offer are growing in size during each release month. Consider the future of gaming. The future lies in downloadable content and games. When the next generation of consoles allow you to purchase and download games within moments companies like, gamefly will most likely offer the same type of service for renting. The publishers themselves may even offer a rental service by then. I don't think Renting is dead just dead in the ways that we once knew it.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 06:53 PM
Peach
mordrem

You know, if your 'problem' is that it's expensive to rent for a short time if you rent a lot, then why not sign up for something like gamefly?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 07:56 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote