KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Started by: NinthCorona

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NinthCorona

Deus Ex 3

This is year-old (ish) news, but I never saw a thread so I figured I'd post it anyway.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ry.php?id=98298

quote:
Deus Ex sequel Invisible War might have yet to parade its conspiracy-riddled self in the shops - Eidos marches it onto shelves in December in the US and February in the UK and Europe - but number three is already a definite cert, we can exclusively reveal.
Earlier today, during a discussion about Deus Ex: Invisible War and the future of the Deus Ex universe at a press event in south London, Ion Storm chief Warren Spector confirmed with us that preliminary work on Deus Ex 3 has already begun.

"We've already stared thinking about the third game in the series," Spector told us; and while he was saying little else about this third in the FPS-cum-RPG series of a cyberpunk persuasion, he did hint that, not surprisingly, the plot of number three would in some way be tied in with first title and imminent sequel.

Permission to get excited granted, although you may be waiting some time for Deus Ex 3 to materialise.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 06:51 AM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Frag Maniac
Dangling Participle

I liked Deus Ex, but Invisible War I've yet to finish after having shelved it months ago. In Deus Ex it was easy to keep track of your objectives and therefore decide which course to follow. Invisible War leaves you guessing what to do next, and you lose interest in the game because of it. I've heard many people say they had this problem with it too.

I certainly hope they learned from their mistakes in Invisible War, most people didn't like it as much as they'd anticipated they would.

A FarCry from civilization, with F.E.A.R. of the unknown, the Painkiller brings redemption, unto himself.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 09:21 PM
Frag Maniac is currently offline Click here to Send Frag Maniac a Private Message Find more posts by Frag Maniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

True.

I played around 2-3 hours into it.
Very good.

But there was this part, which was pretty difficult, but because I had nothing in my inventory ( i used mostly it all up), I couldnt advance.
It was in a hanger with a plane, and you had to get to the plane without being decteted or something, and they'res guards, and cameras and robots. I couldnt do anything.
So I stopped playing. I might try to pick it up again, because I loved the first one.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2006 03:41 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NinthCorona

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
True.

I played around 2-3 hours into it.
Very good.

But there was this part, which was pretty difficult, but because I had nothing in my inventory ( i used mostly it all up), I couldnt advance.
It was in a hanger with a plane, and you had to get to the plane without being decteted or something, and they'res guards, and cameras and robots. I couldnt do anything.
So I stopped playing. I might try to pick it up again, because I loved the first one.
Yeah, they're allied and basically you just... move on. Paul should be waiting for you.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post May 24th, 2006 06:26 AM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I dont remember now.

I dont know if we'll see another Dues Ex. I'm not sure the second one sold well, and it left a bad impression with people.

Maybe 3-4 years or so.

Old Post May 24th, 2006 06:41 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 05:45 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Deus Ex 3? NOOOO000000000oooooooo

(Unless it's like the 1st game)

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 10:19 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Was the second game worth playing?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2010 10:59 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

No.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2010 12:10 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Andrew Ryan
One Who Chooses

I totally disagree. Deus Ex: Invisible War was an incredibly fun and memorable game which had an awesome storyline and balanced gameplay. I've seen a lot of unjust hatred and flat out "It's not the first game" nonsense, but I can't follow that mentality.

To start, I played DE: IV first so I didn't have any preconceived notions of how it "should" be nor did I unfairly compare it to a prequel which, in my opinion, is undeserving of most of its praise. While I like sequels to continue to bring the great experience I got from the first game, I don't expect them to be remastered versions of the same game nor do I think that they're inferior simply because they're different.

Super Mario Bros. was a revolutionary platform game which paved the way for more like it, similar to how the original Deus Ex was one of the first stealthy/open-ended and well-written first person shooters. But no one would ever say "SMB3 sucks because it's not just like the first one", and yet many level this same opinion at DE:IV!

I could easily turn this into a rant against the original game's many flaws (ridiculous skills/accuracy system, uninteresting story until far far late into the game, robot-like protagonist who was painful to listen to, stealth which amounted to being like Goldeneye but with air vents, etc.) but I'll bring this short by simply saying that Deus Ex: Invisible War is a great game by its own merit, and all this "Deus Ex 1 was better" nonsense is pure misplaced nostalgia.

The list of things DE 1 did better includes:

1. Being the original.
2. Being "Less console-centric".
3. You could type on keyboards to enter passwords.
4. The levels were bigger, even if they were mostly bland and uninteresting.
5. The story was better (No, it wasn't.)
6. Shared ammo sucks. (While it's hardly believable, it makes a player think before using certain weapons and doesn't break the game).
7. It was the first!

Etc. etc. ad infinitum. Anyways, I can't wait for the third edition to come out. It looks more like a prequel and the teaser movie looks incredible.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2010 01:04 AM
Andrew Ryan is currently offline Click here to Send Andrew Ryan a Private Message Find more posts by Andrew Ryan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Loved the first, prolly the best game story ever and prolly the only game in history to make me want to find everyshred of dialogue i could. The philisophical questions the game posed and some of the conversations were so sophisticated the whole world just sucked me in. Liked the second one also though compared to the first, it felt a little dumbed down. Gameplay was a bit more clunky, a bit more console if you will.

Can't wait for the third one though, Deus Ex will always be one of my favourite franchises simply because i love cyberpunk and i love consp' theories.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2010 02:15 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Andrew Ryan
I totally disagree. Deus Ex: Invisible War was an incredibly fun and memorable game which had an awesome storyline and balanced gameplay. I've seen a lot of unjust hatred and flat out "It's not the first game" nonsense, but I can't follow that mentality.

To start, I played DE: IV first so I didn't have any preconceived notions of how it "should" be nor did I unfairly compare it to a prequel which, in my opinion, is undeserving of most of its praise. While I like sequels to continue to bring the great experience I got from the first game, I don't expect them to be remastered versions of the same game nor do I think that they're inferior simply because they're different.

Super Mario Bros. was a revolutionary platform game which paved the way for more like it, similar to how the original Deus Ex was one of the first stealthy/open-ended and well-written first person shooters. But no one would ever say "SMB3 sucks because it's not just like the first one", and yet many level this same opinion at DE:IV!

I could easily turn this into a rant against the original game's many flaws (ridiculous skills/accuracy system, uninteresting story until far far late into the game, robot-like protagonist who was painful to listen to, stealth which amounted to being like Goldeneye but with air vents, etc.) but I'll bring this short by simply saying that Deus Ex: Invisible War is a great game by its own merit, and all this "Deus Ex 1 was better" nonsense is pure misplaced nostalgia.

The list of things DE 1 did better includes:

1. Being the original.
2. Being "Less console-centric".
3. You could type on keyboards to enter passwords.
4. The levels were bigger, even if they were mostly bland and uninteresting.
5. The story was better (No, it wasn't.)
6. Shared ammo sucks. (While it's hardly believable, it makes a player think before using certain weapons and doesn't break the game).
7. It was the first!

Etc. etc. ad infinitum. Anyways, I can't wait for the third edition to come out. It looks more like a prequel and the teaser movie looks incredible.
I enjoyed the first greatly. I did not enjoy the sequal at all. I thought it was one of the worst follow games ever released. If you like it that is fine. I did not.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2010 08:20 AM
§P0oONY

The reason I did not like the sequal was because the reason I bought it was because I loved the original, obviously I was hoping for more of the same, the game fell short. It fell well bellow expectations, it was dulled down into just another FPS... I'm sure if it was a stand alone game with no connection I may have found it to be an average shooter, but it was not. It was a Deus Ex game, it's only natural to compare games within a series.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2010 08:25 AM
Andrew Ryan
One Who Chooses

Originally posted by §P0oONY
The reason I did not like the sequal was because the reason I bought it was because I loved the original, obviously I was hoping for more of the same, the game fell short. It fell well bellow expectations, it was dulled down into just another FPS... I'm sure if it was a stand alone game with no connection I may have found it to be an average shooter, but it was not. It was a Deus Ex game, it's only natural to compare games within a series.

I don't quite follow you here. You did not like the sequel because you wanted a clone of the first game, but with more content? While I can attempt to rationalize that kind of logic, I'll just skip to the point - the first game was clunky, mundane, and of Nintendo 64 quality in a lot of points. The only way it stood out compared to other FPS of the day is the optional stealth (i.e. use a vent method of completing the level), an incredibly pointless emphasis on "RPG-esque add points to use certain abilities" and its stronger attention to story than say, Doom or Wolfenstein. Otherwise, while it was impressive for its era it was an ancient dinosaur when the sequel came out and should have been put down humanely.

I definitely disagree that the sequel was "just another FPS". If you can name me another mundane FPS that features DE: IW's complex storyline including philosophical and political considerations, amazing character and shadow details which created a very vivid stealth-based setting, and had multiple ways to be played based on different methods of completing missions, dialogue, etc., please let me know. Otherwise, I'm tempted to just ignore this as nonsense.

Average shooter? You've got to be kidding me. Did you even beat the game I wonder?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 03:33 AM
Andrew Ryan is currently offline Click here to Send Andrew Ryan a Private Message Find more posts by Andrew Ryan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

and its stronger attention to story than say, Doom or Wolfenstein. Otherwise,

I'm guessing your talking about the more recent versions of those games

the old Doom and Wolfenstien did have stories they just were'nt story driven like Half-Life, Bioshock and others.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 07:42 AM
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Average shooter? You've got to be kidding me. Did you even beat the game I wonder?

Entirely average , IW wishes it could have been as deep in story and philosophy as the first game, but it never could because..well..you can't have the same impact twice. Deus Ex made me think, IW didnt because all the interesting questions were asked in the previous game.

The first game stuck with me for years - i havnt playd it in 6 years , but i can quote the hell out of it - IW could not exist as far as Deus Exverse does, and this could be the next game a decade after the first and i would be overjoyd at a return. As it stands im skeptical because i persnally feel, they compromised alot by trying to cater to the console market with the sequal, dumbed down the game mechanic - made it average -.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 06:58 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I don't quite follow you here. You did not like the sequel because you wanted a clone of the first game, but with more content? While I can attempt to rationalize that kind of logic, I'll just skip to the point - the first game was clunky, mundane, and of Nintendo 64 quality in a lot of points. The only way it stood out compared to other FPS of the day is the optional stealth (i.e. use a vent method of completing the level), an incredibly pointless emphasis on "RPG-esque add points to use certain abilities" and its stronger attention to story than say, Doom or Wolfenstein. Otherwise, while it was impressive for its era it was an ancient dinosaur when the sequel came out and should have been put down humanely.

I definitely disagree that the sequel was "just another FPS". If you can name me another mundane FPS that features DE: IW's complex storyline including philosophical and political considerations, amazing character and shadow details which created a very vivid stealth-based setting, and had multiple ways to be played based on different methods of completing missions, dialogue, etc., please let me know. Otherwise, I'm tempted to just ignore this as nonsense.

I'm starting to wonder if you ever actually played the original. I would respond but the person right above me has said it perfectly.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 07:29 PM
Andrew Ryan
One Who Chooses

quote:
Entirely average , IW wishes it could have been as deep in story and philosophy as the first game, but it never could because..well..you can't have the same impact twice. Deus Ex made me think, IW didnt because all the interesting questions were asked in the previous game.

Obviously the impact isn't the same; nothing can create the same kind of "wow" that a predecessor can. Oblivion was amazing, but Morrowind was more awe-inspiring because it pioneered the open-ended gameplay that was replicated in Oblivion. Bioshock 1 was scarier and more compelling because it introduces Rapture and all its bizarre history while Bioshock 2 - still a great game in its own right - can only add smaller facets to the setting.

I can see your point here in a sense. I certainly enjoy the first of the X-Men movies because it focuses less on raw action and more on setting a tone and for those who appreciate storytelling, realizing that tone is impacting simply put. But I would be lying if I said I rewatched the original one over and over and could never appreciate the others for the value they bring too.

For my part, I felt that the characters in IW were more interesting, the setting far darker, and the gameplay better balanced overall. Playing the first game outside of the 32 MB video card era is frustrating. The enemy AI is pathetic, the weapons are difficult to use because of arbitrary "points system" which determines accuracy outside of my control, and to be blunt - JC Denton is a boring protagonist. Most of the non-player controlled characters were forgettable outside of how they applied to the story.

quote:
s it stands im skeptical because i persnally feel, they compromised alot by trying to cater to the console market with the sequal, dumbed down the game mechanic - made it average -.

Here it is again - more vague reasons why IW is inferior. Let me ask you plainly:

- How is IW "dumbed down"?

You mean the lack of ridiculous skill attributes which did nothing to enhance the story or replay value of the game? Biomods, the most unique part of the character customization, still existed and was easier to use as well.

You mean the lack of manually punching in passwords or reading email? That's hardly worth crying in your beer.

Is it the shared ammo? Honestly, while it sounds ridiculous in theory it works well in practice and keeps the player's mind off of "Gee, is that sniper ammo in my super huge backpack or pistol ammo?". Micromanaging inventory is a huge waste of time in many games which focus more heavily on story and character development (i.e. RPGs); so why should Deus Ex cling to that ridiculous concept?

- What is average about IW? So far, here's the unified stance:

1. IW is "average".
2. It's "dumbed down".
3. It's not as "impactful".
4. It's not the "original".

Nothing conclusive. Just nostalgia. The same kind of nostalgia that props up Goldeneye over Perfect Dark when the latter is leagues better in every single way.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I still think it's flimsy justification.

quote:
I'm starting to wonder if you ever actually played the original. I would respond but the person right above me has said it perfectly.

I have, the Game of the Year edition. Spent some time with the multiplayer as well, although it was not the best time spent that summer. Was Deus Ex a bad game? No, not by a longshot. Do I feel it deserves the praise it gets? Not entirely. The sequel was a more solid game with regards to how it played and how fun it was. I still replay it at least once or twice a year, and while I have ready access to the original at any time I look past it to play other games.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:51 AM
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Note: this is a prequel to the first.

Gameplay:
In the Deus Ex games, augmentations are body modifications that allow the user superhuman abilities. While augmentations in the first two games were nanotech, Human Revolution is set prior to both and instead features mechanical augmentations. These will be divided into four types: Combat, Stealth, Technology and Social.

Every enemy squad will have an identifiable squad leader who will direct the team's actions. If the leader is killed, the squad falls into disarray. Enemies will also react to subtle player decisions, such as a change in behaviour or weapons, etc.

Unlike in Invisible War, weapons will fire distinct ammunition types instead of depleting a unified pool. They can also be upgraded to better suit the player.

In a controversial departure from previous titles in the series, Human Revolution will use a regenerating health model. This change was made because the developers didn't want players to get into a situation where they were unable to progress due to low health, and would be forced to "scrounge for med packs." They see this scrounging behavior as breaking the flow of the game when one retreats to search the entire level for medical supplies. They believe their regenerating health model will still encourage tactical and strategy forming retreats, but not to the extent where the tension and flow of the game is disrupted.

Human Revolution is primarily a first person game, but will feature a contextual third person viewpoint when using the cover system, certain augmentations, or closeup instant-kill moves.

Last edited by Phanteros on Jun 9th, 2010 at 03:37 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 03:34 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm looking forward to this game. I loved the original and just replayed it. Showed it's age but fun nonetheless.

Played the second one and was less impressed but it was still fun.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:05 PM