KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Adam Orth to give speech at GDC Next about "toxic online behavior".

Adam Orth to give speech at GDC Next about "toxic online behavior".
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VG_Addict

Adam Orth to give speech at GDC Next about "toxic online behavior".

http://www.gamespot.com//news/alway...c-next-6410467?

quote:
Adam Orth--who resigned from Microsoft following his controversial "always-online" and "deal with it" comments--will give a presentation on "toxic online behavior" at GDC Next, event organizers have announced. Orth, a former Microsoft creative director who now runs his own Orthnation consultancy firm, will give a talk titled "Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community." During the course of his talk, Orth will provide insight into why he left Microsoft and discuss how he believes the game business can "inspire developers as a community to rebuild the foundation of online and community through positive academic, communal, and mechanical revolution."

Looks like this guy has learned NOTHING from his twitter comments.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2013 07:21 PM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cyner
Too little too late

This is going to be quite the spectacle, I hope it's recorded.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2013 07:29 PM
Cyner is currently offline Click here to Send Cyner a Private Message Find more posts by Cyner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

He's prolly one of the "consultants" who suggested to MS that it was a good idea to implement said restrictions. Then when ppl strongly disagreed, he got mad, blabbled about the rather controversial and confidential feature in twitter making MS lose TONS of goodwill from its consumers as well as a ton of ground in the console war. Literally, he's the soldier who blabbed top secret information he was not just privy to but a part of to the enemy w/c managed to give the enemy enough info to utterly annihilate their first offensive operation during a critical point of the war. Which was already doomed from the start due to his extremely erroneous inputs on it but he turned a possible setback into an absolute slaughter (had Sony not known of their direction, a lot of things could have happened differently). Yeah, if I was MS, I'd fire.. ahem... "voluntarily resign" him, too.

He's still convinced that his ideas were good, tho and I feel like he puts blame sorely on the shoulders of the "toxic gaming community. W/c shows that we have quite the narcissist here.

Last edited by Nibedicus on Jun 20th, 2013 at 01:53 AM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2013 01:51 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

guys an *sshole, still M$ fired the guy, but completely went on with the exact same smug aptitude.

bunch of hypocrites, they listen to feedback, while telling people: "suck it or get a 360"

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jun 20th, 2013 03:05 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

His speak is about online mobs....

And all three of you are saying the same thing.....

The gaming community is toxic. Gamers say they want change but go nuts if the change is not exactly what they want. If you say video game, people freak the **** out. The thread about gaming and feminism is the perfect example. Somebody complains about the gaming industry and you have people online calling her a ***** and ****. These same people would never say that to her face.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2013 12:29 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
These same people would never say that to her face.

I didn't call her any of that, yet I would most certainly do so to her face.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2013 07:47 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Adam Orth to give speech at GDC Next about "toxic online behavior".

Originally posted by VG_Addict
http://www.gamespot.com//news/alway...c-next-6410467?

Looks like this guy has learned NOTHING from his twitter comments.

Honestly, this smacks of butthurt. He is very very butthurt.

Originally posted by NemeBro
I didn't call her any of that, yet I would most certainly do so to her face.

Ditto, but I would do it only for the lulz.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2013 08:20 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

The gaming community is toxic. Gamers say they want change but go nuts if the change is not exactly what they want. If you say video game, people freak the **** out. The thread about gaming and feminism is the perfect example. Somebody complains about the gaming industry and you have people online calling her a ***** and ****. These same people would never say that to her face.

The guy told people to move because they have sh*tty internet, even if that whats a joke or jab, it sounded insulting

Sarcasm doesn't work properly on the internet.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 03:08 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

You aren't describing "the video game community". You're describing "the internet". The video game community is just one aspect of the internet community, and there is nothing you'll find in the VG community that doesn't exist in harsher numbers anywhere else online, like youtube (srsly, youtube comments are vile).

It's a known fact that the sheer power of anonymity brings out the worst in human beings.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 03:16 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Youtube is one of the worst communities I have ever been a part of, yeah.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 03:35 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Be apart of these nuts.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 04:10 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

You should either separate "a" from "part", or you can exchange "of" for "from". Only then would that sentence make sense.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 04:22 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Make sense out of these nuts.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 04:24 AM
NemeBro

Put those nuts on these nuts.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 05:31 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by NemeBro
Put those nuts on these nuts.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 07:38 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Let's get to bashing buts aswell as deez nutz.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 08:19 AM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote