KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best graphics in games 1998-2009

Best graphics in games 1998-2009
Started by: Bluesteel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Best graphics in games 1998-2009

Well well looks like im back on the KMC forums heh.

Anyway I've been gaming alot in my spare time, and I decided to make a little tribute to the games that have had well above the average graphics (that year) over the last years since 1998. Basicly a video of 1 game for each year.

However Im not all knowning and I have not played every game out there nor seen/heard of them for that matter.

So I was wondering what you think of the list I have made so far, I had a simillar thread on another forum and so far this list seems to be pretty solid.

1998: Half Life
1999: Quake 3
? 2000: Soldier of Fortune/No One Lives Forever
2001: Serious Sam
2002: No One Lives Forever 2
2003: Unreal 2
? 2004: Half Life 2 - Far Cry - Doom 3
? 2005: F.E.A.R - Call of Duty 2
2006: Oblivion
2007: Crysis
2008: Far Cry 2
2009: Cryostasis

As you might assume the years with a ? infront of them are years im still not sure about.

So you think anything should be different with the list or perhaps can argue for why a certain game looks better then the other in the (?) years I will deffinatly think about it, and ask others if they think it's a good choice based on your post smile

Just need a little input from the outside you know smile

FPS'es just have that extra "close" feel that always tends to give them the edge in graphics heh. but if there is a game in any given year that looks better please say so because even the tiniest of variety can make it awhole lot more interesting smile

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 09:35 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

2009 should be Killzone 2, I think.

And 2008 should be Gears of War 2 or Crysis Warhead.

Though really, Crysis is still better looking than any game out there.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 10:04 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

I agree but I'd rather not take Crysis Warhead again in 2008 even tho it beats everything out, just need something else as its basicly the same as Crysis, same engine and all only optimized to run better.

Not sure exacly how I should record Killzone 2 though... But I've looked at some screens and I dare to say Cryostasis holds it own, the physics alone are just breathtaking aswell as the water and lightning in it. But thats my opinion I do also like what I've seen of Killzone 2 however there comes the problem of recording :/

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 10:43 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Surprisingly, the none Japanese games have had the best graphics, IMO.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 12:42 AM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

'04 - Half Life 2

'05 - BF2 (PC), COD2, Doom3

'06 - GOW, Sonic the Hedgehog, Lost Planet

'07 - Crysis, COD4, BioShock, Assasin's Creed, Mass Effect, NBA Street: HomeCourt

'08 - DBZ: Burt Limit, GOW2, Soul Caliber 4, GTA4, Fallout 3, Madden '09, SW:TFU, NBA 2k9, MK v. DCu,

'09 - Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 08:17 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Re: Best graphics in games 1998-2009

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bluesteel
Well well looks like im back on the KMC forums heh.

Anyway I've been gaming alot in my spare time, and I decided to make a little tribute to the games that have had well above the average graphics (that year) over the last years since 1998. Basicly a video of 1 game for each year.

However Im not all knowning and I have not played every game out there nor seen/heard of them for that matter.

So I was wondering what you think of the list I have made so far, I had a simillar thread on another forum and so far this list seems to be pretty solid.

? 2000: Soldier of Fortune/No One Lives Forever
2003: Unreal 2
? 2004: Half Life 2 - Far Cry - Doom 3
? 2005: F.E.A.R - Call of Duty 2

As you might assume the years with a ? infront of them are years im still not sure about.

So you think anything should be different with the list or perhaps can argue for why a certain game looks better then the other in the (?) years I will deffinatly think about it, and ask others if they think it's a good choice based on your post smile

imho, it's a cool list. I'd take a couple out and replace 'em, but it's not a corney list at all.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 08:20 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

1998: Gran Turismo
1999: Gran Turismo 2
2001: ICO

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 08:36 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

2009-Resident evil 5, for now.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 09:08 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bluesteel
I agree but I'd rather not take Crysis Warhead again in 2008 even tho it beats everything out, just need something else as its basicly the same as Crysis, same engine and all only optimized to run better.

Not sure exacly how I should record Killzone 2 though... But I've looked at some screens and I dare to say Cryostasis holds it own, the physics alone are just breathtaking aswell as the water and lightning in it. But thats my opinion I do also like what I've seen of Killzone 2 however there comes the problem of recording :/

Can you link some stuff showing Cryostasis, I've searched for it on gaming websites and found nothing, which is odd because I saw some screens for it not long ago. Was the game canned or something?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 11:58 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

No I got it here in my hands smile It has not been released in NA yet, release date there is late april last I checked.

The game's strongest points are imo: physics, lightning and WATER.

It has this awesome "realisim system" or whatever you want to call it that just takes realisim up a notch or more (depending on how you look at it)

This game takes place on the north pole so there is ice there ofc. and to be more specific it takes place on a huge russian icebreaker, most of the crew onboard is dead by unknown reasons (I JUST started playing it myself so dont know much, but your some dude coming onboard to check it out I wont say more about the story)

So anyway you will fx. turn on some engines in the ship to get light and what not, and these are big engines that get hot, when they get hot you can see the ice on the walls melt and the walls get wet and the melting ice runs down the walls til they they get dry eventurly.

Also some of the water which is not frozen is very liquided not just drops that come down and then they disapear like in every other game, they stay there and gather up just like it dose in reality.

There are many smaller details that just add up and make the whole game seem very realistic. (you can see your chars breath in the cold, frost on his storm googles, frost particles in the air, shadows interacting very good with directions from the source/s of light etc.)

This I reckon should be one for you BF, its a very scary survival horror game smile

Anyway here is some footage and screenshots.

P.S the video's im linking are in HD so be patient to let them load smile

TECH DEMO

In this video you see some of the cool things that make this game special in terms of graphics (water, physics, lightning etc.)

Also I recomend you watch it all the way through the last 10 secs or so show a undead dude trow some barrels at this stretched out sheet that is supported on 4 poles. the way the barrels and sheet interact just looks so real smile

Water/Lightning and some gameplay

A gameplay trailer

Screenshots

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Lord Andres on Mar 28th, 2009 at 03:03 PM

Old Post Mar 28th, 2009 02:56 PM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

98' is Ocarina of Time.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Mar 28th, 2009 04:11 PM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

After doing some testing I have updated the list.

2000: No One Lives Forever
2003: Max Payne 2
2004: Far Cry
2005: F.E.A.R

I atleast feel that it's a very complete list.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 10:00 PM
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Hmm funny thing I just managed ot get ahold of alot of Killzone 2 HD footage, and I don't know, it dose look good, but better then Cryostasis? hard to say both have their strenghts from what I can see. perhaps some of you would like to shed some light on your thoughts about teh matter? you got plenty of Cryostasis stuff from my post above. and I imagine you folks can dig up quite a bit about Killzone 2

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 10:37 PM
BackFire

That's definitely a looker, Bluesteel, I'll check it out.

Though so far I'd still say Killzone 2 is the better looking game.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2009 06:30 AM