KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Movies are taking ideas from video games?

Movies are taking ideas from video games?
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
OB1-adobe

Movies are taking ideas from video games?

I saw district 9 last night. Really awesome movie. But at the same time i'm like, this is really familiar. The whole thing really reminded me of resistance fall of man in a way. aliens come down, guy gets infected. It wasn't a total rip off, but I was like hmmmmmm.

Same night I saw a trailer for that animated movie "9". Im like, "hey its sack boy from Little big planet." There were even shots in the movie that looked total side scrolling video game like.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 06:53 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

District 9 has nothing in common with Resistance aside from the fact that they are aliens and have a spaceship.

Going from your perspective, Aliens is like Half Life because it has aliens showing up unexpectedly, uncommon hero, confined area and lots of blood.

And, the short Alive in Joburg, the short film which the film was based on was released atleast a year before the game.

So, no correlation what so ever.

As for your point, well, maybe, but I haven't seen a movie that reminds me of a game outside of very basic principals (action)

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 08:42 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

So how many movies have video games ripped?

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 10:13 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Everyone.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 10:30 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Everyone.
World of goo?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 12:15 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Oh kay, 75%.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 01:24 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The Pirates Of The Carribean movies felt like the Monkey Island games to me in some parts.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 10:48 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The tone and atmosphere of D9 reminded me of Half Life 2.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 11:02 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TGYDK

Yeah, but how many videogames take ideas from movies? I guess that makes sense because they are created for fun, so taking idea's from what we like is cool.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 01:13 AM
TGYDK is currently offline Click here to Send TGYDK a Private Message Find more posts by TGYDK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well, Halo's look and feel is a carbon copy of Aliens.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 01:19 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's natural for video games to take ideas from movies since the latter is the senior of the two mediums. The new medium will always take ideas from the older mediums until it develops its own identity. Films did the same thing when they were new, often copying aspects and tactics and plots and ideas from plays and what have you.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 07:08 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

True.

I'm still waiting for my Half Life movie. Waiting....

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 01:05 PM
killmuuus

I heard that WoW movie is coming out soon, cant wait to see that

Old Post Aug 21st, 2009 08:08 AM
killmuuus is currently offline Click here to Send killmuuus a Private Message Find more posts by killmuuus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by killmuuus

You're kidding right?

And I can't believe no one's commented on the "Gamer" movie yet.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 05:19 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

True.

I'm still waiting for my Half Life movie. Waiting....

You'll be waiting a while the way Valve keep turning down the all the scripts so far.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 07:37 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I know. I know.

It will never happen.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 02:28 PM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

yup, the covenant and Aliens are practically interchangable. big grin

Originally posted by killmuuus

Now that would be interesting to see how they change an MMO into a movie with a well-adapted story line.

Last edited by Mandrag Ganon on Aug 27th, 2009 at 07:46 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2009 07:43 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
yup, the covenant and Aliens are practically interchangable. big grin

Now that would be interesting to see how they change an MMO into a movie with a well-adapted story line.

Have you looked at the space marines in Aliens, to the space marines in Halo?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2009 09:13 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, if it was a rave documentary on e-tarded space marines with super soakers.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 12:58 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Even the drop ships are pretty much identical.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 04:29 AM