KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Would you buy a complete version of Super Mario Bros. 3?

Would you buy a complete version of Super Mario Bros. 3?
Started by: Darth Jello

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Would you buy a complete version of Super Mario Bros. 3?

SMB3 is the most popular game ever made and it's had quite a few rereleases but never a complete one, at least not outside of Japan. With talk of a possible Virtual Console port for the DSi, would you want to pay for a complete version?

By my definition, a complete version would include:
The main game in 16-bit graphics and sound
The battle mode from the SNES version
All the hidden E-Reader items and switches (vegetables, cape, boomerang, harder enemies from SMW, Mario and Luigi play differently, etc.)
All 40 e-reader levels from the US and Japan including the demo levels and the real final level (a showdown with Bowser on the Airship that's sunken in SMW).

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post May 5th, 2009 12:48 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Yes, I would.

That game is practically what started my life as a gamer.

That and Duck Hunting.

Old Post May 5th, 2009 01:20 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

so doesn't it piss you off that not counting the items and extras you missed out on 40 levels?

Old Post May 5th, 2009 01:34 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Yeah, a tad.

Old Post May 5th, 2009 01:34 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
so doesn't it piss you off that not counting the items and extras you missed out on 40 levels?

WHAT!??!?!?!??!?!?!

Where can I get these extra levels, legally? I'll pay.

Old Post May 5th, 2009 01:35 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

go to japan, find all the e-reader cards, buy a japanese copy of mario advance 4. nintendo handhelds are region free so the only other things you'd need are an e-reader, a link cable, and two GBA's.

Here's a list of all the levels, american and japanese that we missed out on:

Map Levels:
World e Casltes
3 Bonus Toad house games

Promo Levels:
Coro Coro Castle
Mad Dash
Airship's Revenge

Classic Levels:
1-1
1-2
1-3
1-4
2-1
2-2

Original Levels:
Wild Ride in the Sky
Slidin' the Slopes
Vegetable Volley
Doors O' Plenty
Bombarded By Bomb-Ombs
Magical Note Blocks
The Ol' Switcheroo
Piped Full of Piranhas
Swinging Bars of Doom
Para Beetle Challenge
Magical Note Blocks 2
Airship One
Chill Cavern
Inner Maze
Tropical Splash
Castle `a Go-Go
Frapp`e Snowland
Frozen Fortress
Pipe Maze
Spiral Tower
60 Seconds
Ropeland
Haunted Hall
Clear Skies
Koopahari Desert
Aqua Bars of Doom
The Gauntlet
Hammer Bros. Ship
Bowser's Airship 1
Bowser's Airship 2

These levels feature items and enemies that are completely unique or are directly from Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario World. It also includes some rematches with fake and real versions of some of the Koopa Kids, Big Boo from Super Mario World, a fake Bowser battle, and two rematches with the real thing, the last one being in the supposed ship that's sunken in Super Mario World.

Old Post May 5th, 2009 01:54 AM
NemeBro

Wow.

We missed out on alot of shit. no expression

Old Post May 5th, 2009 02:10 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

SMB3 that was released was the complete version.

What your talking about is DLC (in card format) but Mario Advanced 4 is the complete version.

They released e-reader in NA, but it never sold, so they took it off shelves and didn't bother selling the cards. How can you complain that we didn't get the cards when nobody bought it in the first place?

Old Post May 5th, 2009 03:20 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I think the e-reader was a stupid concept for SMB3. It was based on an old japanese gameboy peripheral they used for some fighting game wherein you could scan in any barcode and get different stats for you fighters. If you actually play the world e levels through legal or illegal means, especially the japanese unreleased levels with tons of different enemies and variety from all the different mario games it's like a Mario Bros. dream of having the first four mario games smashed together and cap the game nicely after world 8

Old Post May 5th, 2009 05:46 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"SMB3 is the most popular game ever made."

Hmm? Don't think so.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 5th, 2009 at 08:06 AM

Old Post May 5th, 2009 08:04 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I want those levels, and a level editor! no expression

Old Post May 5th, 2009 11:05 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by Ushgarak
"SMB3 is the most popular game ever made."

Hmm? Don't think so.

It's the most sold though isn't it?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post May 5th, 2009 12:32 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Nope.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 5th, 2009 12:52 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I think it's number two in sales next to SMB which was a pack in even if you don't count all the ports and rereleases. And don't tell me it's not the most popular game ever released. They made a horrible Fred Savage film that tons of people saw just to get a small preview of this game.

Old Post May 5th, 2009 05:40 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Jello
I think it's number two in sales next to SMB which was a pack in even if you don't count all the ports and rereleases. And don't tell me it's not the most popular game ever released. They made a horrible Fred Savage film that tons of people saw just to get a small preview of this game.

It sold 18 million...Wii sports, Wii play, SMB, Nintendogs all sold more although most of them were bundles with the consoles.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 5th, 2009 06:03 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Okay, then I'm pretty sure if you figure in all the ports like mario advance 4, all stars, and virtual console, it's gotta be at least number 2 or 3. mario advance 4 was bundled with the GBA at bulk retailers

Old Post May 5th, 2009 06:37 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

For sure it is one of the best selling games of all time... but I'm still going to tell you that it is niot the most popular game ever released. This is because a. other games have sold more and b. the recent casual demographic shift means that games like Nintendogs and Wii Play get bought and played with the same loyalty as the more gaming-orientated players do with a Mario title. ALso the purchase rate of Wii Sports in Japan suggests that that would have been bought by nearly everyone in the rest of the world, bundle or no bundle.

Going into this in detail is just going off-topic of course but I do think a sense of proportion is needed in these things. And that being the case, I feel you should consider that the basic 8-bit version of SMB3 on the VC sold like crazy; I am not sure if it is worth their effort doing it with different version which seems a bit niche. Could be wrong though.

BtVS

Old Post May 6th, 2009 07:55 AM