KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Clone Wars: Ruining Our Villains

The Clone Wars: Ruining Our Villains
Started by: Gideon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Clone Wars: Ruining Our Villains

If any of you have even bothered to glance at Star Wars: the Clone Wars new multimedia project, you'd notice a recurring theme:

The villains? They suck.

Not just in personality, overture, or motivation. It's not just limited to the fact that General Grievous went from having a tragic backstory of manipulation and treachery; now he's just a wannabe Jedi who volunteered for the operation that turned him into a cyborg. It's not just limited to the fact that the Confederacy -- the ones where George, in his "high canon" mentioned heroes on both sides (see the opening crawl of RotS) -- is just a hive of evil and incompetence.

No, even the established villains are being pissed all over:

1. Ahsoka Tano, neophyte, was able to dismember a cadre of General Grievous's MagnaGuards. The same MagnaGuards that are masters of all seven lightsaber forms and "more than a match for most Jedi Knights."

2. Anakin Skywalker, only a few months after AotC, manages to duel Count Dooku (the guy who ruined his shit in AotC) on a relatively even footing. Dooku does demonstrate superior Force powers, but the Clone Wars Visual Guide mentions that he retrieves the hologram of Ahsoka in order to "win the upper hand." Anakin leaves Dooku on his ass.

3. Yoda owns a CIS army and humiliates Ventress. Not much of a complaint, since he used his head and the one liner to Ventress when she goes to attack him ("Strong are you in the dark side... but not that strong.") was the best moment of awesome ever.

4. Ahsoka Tano manages to fight General Grievous (yes, that General Grievous) on somewhat of an even footing before retreating.

5. The droids are inexcusably retarded. It's not cute, George.

6. Dooku is disarmed, outwitted, and humiliated by a small band of pirates. He makes up for it by physically kicking the shit out of two of them and then Force owning them all in the end.

7. Kit Fisto's obnoxious (but powerful) Padawan manages to duel Grievous on an even footing, prompting Grievous to cheat -- in the middle of their saber lock, Grievous uses another hand to shoot him.

8. Kit Fisto then proceeds to own Grievous, prompting Grievous to summon MagnaGuards... who make no difference whatsoever.

9. Grievous is subsequently verbally humiliated by Dooku.

10. In a recent comic called A Slave Now, A Slave Forever, Dooku is ordered by Palpatine to get rid of a meddlesome member of the Separatist Council. Dooku goes to kill her with Ventress. Anakin shows up, out of nowhere, throws Dooku across the room with telekinesis, and manages to fend both of them off before retreating.

12. The Clone Wars Campaign Guide puts Windu and Yoda both above Dooku.

11. The CIS never wins. What's this about two evenly matched factions with heroes on both sides?

The conclusion: with each subsequent episode, book, or comic on the Clone Wars, Dooku, Grievous, Ventress, and everyone else are made to look weaker and dumber.

It's getting pretty sad.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 04:05 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

My thoughts exactly.

Just my opinion, but personally I think we should consider the new Clone Wars series as non-canon or as some strange parallel reality (much like DC's Elseworld comics).

Because from what I've seen, none of it fits or makes sense. Your examples of how the villains are treated is bad enough, but that's not all.

Like since when did Jabba have a son? Since when did Anakin have an apprentice?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 04:14 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The problem is that George isn't beholden to anyone. I feel bad for Leland Chee. He has the shittiest job in the world, trying to make sense out of all of this.

Lucas is rich enough and he'll always get a major cut out of anything that has the Star Wars name. So just retire and let the people who are actually involved, who actually care, do their job.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 04:23 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Dooku is what disappointed me the most. The whole thing with him being captured, and working with Anakin and Obi Wan to escape, was nothing but a comedy.

I do like Ventress' personality. She is pretty bad also, except for having a hard time with Ahsoka.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Advent
Just Leaving

It's a children's show...

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." - Sagacious Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Advent a Private Message Find more posts by Advent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Rex
Dark Lord Of The Cookies

Clone Wars seems to be all about missions not huge battles with like 10 vs 10 battleships!
It should have huge giantic battles
With the villians and heroes being the main targets!
now dooku and grievous are just becoming pushovers

CREATED BY SCYTHE
THE TRANSFORMERS KNOW-IT-ALL!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 06:07 PM
Click here to Send Darth Rex a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Rex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Advent
It's a children's show...

Thank you for the update.

I understand that, but the fact that it's a children's show doesn't mean you discard established canon.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 06:41 PM
Dominis

Don't they air it on Adult Swim now, which is for adults?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 06:53 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Don't they air it on Adult Swim now, which is for adults?

And then there's that.

Advent's been on this I-Hate-Escape rampage for many, many moons. I'm not sure why, but you can expect a hateful response.

I cringe in trepidation.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 07:04 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

A few months ago someone here posted a link to the first episode, the one in which Yoda goes around destroying a bunch of the most retarded AI ever conceived in Sci-Fi. After about 4 minutes of it I vowed to never watch an episode of that show and to never glimpse another scene of the movie. Judging from what you've described, I have no regrets.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 07:08 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah.

The animation, action, and title are enough to attract children. There's no reason that carefully established concepts and character developments need to be ruined in order to appeal to kids; they would have come flocking regardless.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 07:18 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Frankly we should have seen this coming since back in '83.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 07:30 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah.

Like I said: George needs to retire. He'll get his cash anyway.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 07:41 PM
REXXXX
Networking

I highly doubt that Lucas will stop playing a significant hand in the Star Wars franchise before his dying day.

-

Just a note in case any other mods pop in here- as this is regarding the Clone Wars media project in its entirety, the thread can stay here despite its use of the Clone Wars tv show, of which there is a forum for.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 12:21 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Well, it is actually part of a series like this. For example the Power Rangers, they always won and looked way smarter, while the bad guys always lost, and looked like idiots.

I don't like Advent, but she is kinda right about it being a kids show. The battle droids being dumbed down is just, horrible. Even my 10 years old brother thinks that is stupid.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 02:06 AM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

quote:
Gideon
10. In a recent comic called A Slave Now, A Slave Forever, Dooku is ordered by Palpatine to get rid of a meddlesome member of the Separatist Council. Dooku goes to kill her with Ventress. Anakin shows up, out of nowhere, throws Dooku across the room with telekinesis, and manages to fend both of them off before retreating.
Lies.

... Right?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 03:22 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Gideon
The problem is that George isn't beholden to anyone. I feel bad for Leland Chee. He has the shittiest job in the world, trying to make sense out of all of this.

Lucas is rich enough and he'll always get a major cut out of anything that has the Star Wars name. So just retire and let the people who are actually involved, who actually care, do their job.

You hit the nail right on the head there.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 02:00 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eminence
Lies.

... Right?

no

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 02:02 PM
xxxpoppunker182

what wrong with the clone wars campaign putting yoda and mace above dooku?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 07:30 PM
Click here to Send xxxpoppunker182 a Private Message Find more posts by xxxpoppunker182 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
what wrong with the clone wars campaign putting yoda and mace above dooku?

Yoda? Sure. Mace? Eh. I understand Mace being a challenge or equal to Dooku; I even get him being able to defeat Dooku in a lightsaber duel due to Vaapad and all. But to be better?

Seems like the heroes have too many advantages, which makes for poor drama.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2009 11:30 PM