KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Should Every Horror Game have RE4 Gameplay?

Should Every Horror Game have RE4 Gameplay?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Should Every Horror Game have RE4 Gameplay?

Do you think every horror game should have RE4 gameplay?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:10 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

No then there would be little difference between those games.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:25 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Re: Should Every Horror Game have RE4 Gameplay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X

Absolutely not.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:50 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Why not? Dead Space did well with it.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:52 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Why not? Dead Space did well with it.

Dead Space is just one game. If every horror game mimicked RE4, then we would have a truckload of boring clones. We've seen that FPS works well for a horror game. Though fixed camera like in RE2, RE3, Silent Hill, etc. is probably still the best for survival horror, in my opinion.

RE4 and RE5 feel more like action games than horror games anyway.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:57 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

No, simply no.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:58 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Though fixed camera like in RE2, RE3, Silent Hill, etc. is probably still the best for survival horror, in my opinion.

I agree...It gives more of a creepy sense of being watched. Although I wouldn't mind a choice of fixed camera positions as sometimes the old RE games were guilty of not allowing you to see the bad guys who could be just off screen...Thus making it a bit difficult to aim properly.

I do love RE4 though...Not so much 5...That really did just feel like an action game.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 10:21 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Maybe fixed camera angles might add to the tension and intensity but they control like a *****.

You can have scary ass games with a behind the shoulder viewpoint. RE4 was freaky because it didn't rely on the usual things jump out/one light bulb in the room.

It freaked you out because the game enclosed the space around you. The first village was crazy because you were constantly surrounded.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 11:18 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

No.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 11:37 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Smasandian
Maybe fixed camera angles might add to the tension and intensity but they control like a *****.

You can have scary ass games with a behind the shoulder viewpoint. RE4 was freaky because it didn't rely on the usual things jump out/one light bulb in the room.

It freaked you out because the game enclosed the space around you. The first village was crazy because you were constantly surrounded.

Hrrrm, I don't know. The last game I played with a fixed camera was DMC4 and it didn't control like a *****... for the most part.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 11:39 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Is that a survival horror game?

And Devil May Cry 4 does not have a fixed camera.

Last edited by Smasandian on Aug 5th, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Old Post Aug 5th, 2009 12:37 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Smasandian
Is that a survival horror game?

And Devil May Cry 4 does not have a fixed camera.

It has fixed angles.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2009 12:53 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
It has fixed angles.

A fixed camera angle is a camera that does not move.

In Devil May Cry 4, it has some fixed angles but the camera moves with the character.

In Resident Evil, the camera stays in one spot.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2009 01:24 AM
Impediment
Endless

Absolutely not. If they were identical to RE4, then where is the room for evolution and growth? All we would have is a series of predictable clones.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 01:17 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

No, every game should'nt have the same sort of gameplay as RE 4 just got boring same old shit getting recycled

just take a look at the WW2 game genre.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 07:51 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Most horror games feel like Resident Evil. The only differences are control schemes and camera control. I prefer a controllable camera and smoother gameplay but for the most part i feel most survival horror games ARE the same.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 09:47 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think newer horror games should take RE4 in consideration when developing the game.

Similar to how Half Life revolutionized the FPS genre, RE4 was pretty damn important for horror games. Maybe developers should not copy what RE4 did but at least understand what the game did for the genre.

To me, I would rather have RE4 viewpoint than anything else for 3rd person horror games.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 12:20 PM
§P0oONY

I don't consider RE4 a horror game, it's more or a 3rd person action shooter.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 01:00 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by §P0oONY

the early parts were somewhat scary but that got lost soon.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 01:23 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by §P0oONY

It doesn't matter what you consider it.

It's actually a game that is part of the horror genre. Perhaps action horror, but horror nonetheless.

I don't find Black Christmas to be a scary movie, but it is a horror.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 05:55 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote