KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Dark Side Powers: Point of View?

The Dark Side Powers: Point of View?
Started by: Anakin4Ever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Anakin4Ever
The Best in the Order

The Dark Side Powers: Point of View?

I used to think that powers that harmed your enemy were always considered part of the Dark Side. But Kyle Katarn said himself that no power is inherently good or evil, it just depends on your use.

Plus Mace Windu and Kyle both used powers that were usually associated to the Dark Side. The way I see it, Force Lightning and Force Grip are awesome powers that a Jedi can use to serve the Light. Force Crush and Force Kill - I would do anything I can to keep from using them.

So, what do you guys think. Are Force Lightning, Force Grip, and Force Rage necessarily evil, or do they only count as bad when you use them for evil?

Bonus: What is your favorite force combo?
Mine: Force Grip a Sith, use Force Lightning on him/her while he/she is still in your Force Grip, throw them up, jump up to his/her position, and Force Repulse the Sith close-up.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 12:12 AM
Click here to Send Anakin4Ever a Private Message Find more posts by Anakin4Ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: The Dark Side Powers: Point of View?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Anakin4Ever
I used to think that powers that harmed your enemy were always considered part of the Dark Side. But Kyle Katarn said himself that no power is inherently good or evil, it just depends on your use.

Plus Mace Windu and Kyle both used powers that were usually associated to the Dark Side. The way I see it, Force Lightning and Force Grip are awesome powers that a Jedi can use to serve the Light. Force Crush and Force Kill - I would do anything I can to keep from using them.

So, what do you guys think. Are Force Lightning, Force Grip, and Force Rage necessarily evil, or do they only count as bad when you use them for evil?

Bonus: What is your favorite force combo?
Mine: Force Grip a Sith, use Force Lightning on him/her while he/she is still in your Force Grip, throw them up, jump up to his/her position, and Force Repulse the Sith close-up.
Potentium.

To flesh out gameplay but still keep protagonists as good guys, developers and writers helped to establish the "neutral" side to the Force, or as its users are sometimes erroneously referred to as, "Grey Jedi." Here, being in the middle ground gave one the ability use both Dark and Light (Evil and Good) powers.

Personally, I've come to like that view. The whole moral absolutism, even in Sci-Fi (and especially in Star Wars, considering the vast amount of content present in it), is bland and predictable.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 12:44 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Those powers are may considered harmful due to their intent but remember Plo Koon found Elctric Judgment and he had not felt anger or hatred while using it and it had the strength of a blast i'd say of Dooku's. Whereas a variation Luke used referred to as Emerald lightning, instantly killed one of Shimrra's slayers.(sp?)

I wouldn't consider 'Force grip' to be a Dark Side power at all since technically It's only telekinesis it just depends what you do with it.

Force Rage, No I do not beleive that this power is inherently evil since people have used it without falling to the Dark Side, Jaden, Kyle and Kenobi in TPM. Though people like Anakin used this power passively and it helped his attack style (Djem So) the reason he didn't fall to the DS was because of his dread, i'll post the quote.

He lifted his blade, and beckoned.

Skywalker leapt from the balcony. Even as the boy hurtled downward, Dooku felt a new twist in the currents of the Force between them, and he finally understood.

He understood how Skywalker was getting stronger. Why he no longer spoke. How he had become a machine of battle. He understood why Sidious had been so interested in him for so long.

Skywalker was a natural.

There was a thermonuclear furnace where his heart should be, and it was burning through the firewalls of his Jedi training. He held the Force in the clench of a white-hot fist. He was half Sith already, and he didn't even know it.

This boy had the gift of fury.

And even now, he was holding himself back; even now, as he landed at Dooku's flank and rained blows upon the Sith Lord's defenses, even as he drove Dooku backward step after step, Dooku could feel how Skywalker kept his fury banked behind walls of will: walls that were hardened by some uncontrollable dread.

Dread, Dooku surmised, of himself. Of what might happen if he should ever allow that furnace he used for a heart to go supercritical.

Dooku slipped aside from an overhand chop and sprang backward. "I sense great fear in you. You are consumed by it. Hero With No Fear, indeed. You're a fraud, Skywalker. You are nothing but a posturing child."

He pointed his lightsaber at the young Jedi like an accusing finger. "Aren't you a little old to be afraid of the dark?"

Skywalker leapt for him again, and this time Dooku met the boy's charge easily. They stood nearly toe-to-toe, blades flashing faster than the eye could see, but Skywalker had lost his edge: a simple taunt was all that had been required to shift the focus of his attention from winning the fight to controlling his own emotions. The angrier he got, the more afraid he became, and the fear fed his anger in turn; like the proverbial Corellian multipede, now that he had started thinking about what he was doing, he could no longer walk.

I don't necessarily like a combination of Force Powers, I'll just stick with good ol' TK.

Edit- Longest post ever.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 08:45 AM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xxxpoppunker182

What they said

best force combo EVER this isn't up for debate is either force freeze your blood

or force turn you into a slug and poor salt on you

or force make you drink from the false holy grail in indiana jones and the last crusade.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 08:50 AM
Click here to Send xxxpoppunker182 a Private Message Find more posts by xxxpoppunker182 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
What they said

Quite.
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
or force make you drink from the false holy grail in indiana jones and the last crusade.

Wahey!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 09:31 AM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Meanwhile, Potentium shits all over the rest of Star Wars.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 05:30 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Meh, everything else does too, Potentium's just trying to be popular.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 05:32 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Basically. Irks me more than most things, makes the threat of the Dark Side really damn cheap for our heroes. As does the Revolving Door Policy. At least they didn't drag Jacen back from evilness...

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 09:31 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Originally posted by REXXXX
Basically. Irks me more than most things, makes the threat of the Dark Side really damn cheap for our heroes. As does the Revolving Door Policy. At least they didn't drag Jacen back from evilness...
No he did that himself in the last few seconds of his life.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 10:59 AM
Incanus
Istari

I think that the Potentium actually has some sense to it, as defined by Katarn, and the fact that Qui-Gon was a grey jedi in secret or something. Source is in Ep 1 and the definition of the Greys,

"Master, if you would just listen to the Council more often, you would be on it."-Obi-Wan to Qui-Gon.
The definition of the Greys is those that dont think the Council is always right, so they actually think for themselves. They are free thinkers. Not blind servants. The followers of the Potentium seem to be alot like that in my opinion.

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The Potentium makes sense in a realistic manner. It abolishes an absolute morality, which is a great reflection of reality. But I can certainly relate to fans of the franchise who feel it cheapens the Dark Side's threat, as Rex said.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 07:07 AM
Incanus
Istari

It does make them seem less threatening wwithout morals, but it still makes sense. If the Old Jedi Order had followed the Potentium, I wonder what would have happened when Order 66 came around.

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2009 08:28 PM
Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Originally posted by Incanus
It does make them seem less threatening wwithout morals, but it still makes sense. If the Old Jedi Order had followed the Potentium, I wonder what would have happened when Order 66 came around.

It;s actually stated and I can't remember where, if the Order had followed Jinn's view in believing in the Living Force they would have found out about the Sith threat earlier.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2009 11:01 PM
truejedi

i don't want to show my ignorance, but i do want to ask, what's the Potentium? Is it something from Legacy?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 02:32 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

thanks red! very helpful!

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 02:35 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by truejedi
thanks red! very helpful!
Gaaaah! Second post---look, now.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 03:21 AM
truejedi

well, very nicely done too Lucien, i humbly apoligize for missing your link.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 03:23 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Apology accepted. Now... kneel before Zod Me.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 03:30 AM
truejedi

no, i'm ruler of the western hemisphere in case you hadn't heard.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 03:34 AM