KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Metroid Prime Trilogy

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Started by: Darth Jello

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Metroid Prime Trilogy

So I guess the New Play Control reissues of the first two Metroid Prime games for Wii have been canceled in North America. Instead we'll be getting all three Prime games on one disc in August full of bonuses, probably a few story revisions, and probably a few other incentives to get us to spend 50 bucks to buy three games we already have. I'm not complaining since if they were separate releases I'm sure all three would rack up to at least 130 bucks. I think the first two games would be substantially easier with wii controls and I'm eager to see how they fixed Prime's story. I just really hope that they do away with the whole buddy system of unlocking crap since it's surprisingly hard to find a friend who has a wii, not to mention Metroid Prime 3.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2009 10:17 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

The first two are exactly the same as their GC releases, except with widescreen, 480p, and MP3 controls. Nothing in the plot is being touched.

Since when did Prime's story need "fixing"?

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2009 02:24 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Much as it being done as a trilogy instead of separate releases is indeed a better deal than buying the first two again separately... I'm not convinced by the deal myself. I bought MP 1 and 2 cheaply second hand when I got the Wii and MP3 is still pretty recent and... well, I'm just not taken enough to buy it all again.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 8th, 2009 02:30 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by General Kaliero
The first two are exactly the same as their GC releases, except with widescreen, 480p, and MP3 controls. Nothing in the plot is being touched.

Since when did Prime's story need "fixing"?

There was some discrepancy between Europe and the US with log entries that made one of the two make far less sense than the other. Also, I guess some copies had a few lines of voice narration and some didn't. There are also a couple of save glitches in the first two games that make the game unplayable kind of like the infamous cannon glitch in Twilight Princess that I'm pretty sure they'll fix since they've been fixing glitches and patching up sequence breaking with every new rerelease.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2009 05:06 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Patching up sequence breaking only decreases the replay value. thumb down

Old Post Jun 8th, 2009 05:09 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Patching up sequence breaking only decreases the replay value. thumb down

This.

Originally posted by Darth Jello
There was some discrepancy between Europe and the US with log entries that made one of the two make far less sense than the other. Also, I guess some copies had a few lines of voice narration and some didn't. There are also a couple of save glitches in the first two games that make the game unplayable kind of like the infamous cannon glitch in Twilight Princess that I'm pretty sure they'll fix since they've been fixing glitches and patching up sequence breaking with every new rerelease.

Well isn't that more the PAL version's problem? You're in Colorado so I assume you played the same American, correct version I did.

The voiceover version, by the way, was the PAL release.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2009 09:16 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

The problem with sequence breaking is that it's one of the things that brings up those glitches which I guess is easier than accommodating the breaks. I also hear that the two games seem to play much faster with the wii controls and I imagine switching and using visors and beams is gonna be a lot easier too.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 03:35 AM
dadudemon

Seriously, what the hell is sequence breaking?

I played moth MP and MP2 to 100% item collection and MP2 with all visor scans (logs and creatures) and I still have no idea WTF this sequence breaking is that you guys are talking about.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 07:04 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Sequence breaking is when you exploit a glitch or pull off a very difficult maneuver in order to upgrade your character with a weapon out of order or earlier in the game than you are supposed to get it. Typically, this isn't a problem with the 2D games and in fact, it's almost impossible to get the best endings in Zero Mission without doing it. But with the 3D games and their story sequences and unlocks it has the possibility of majorly glitching up the game. Some examples I've heard of involve using the scan visor to get the space jump and the plasma beam almost from the beginning of metroid prime.
here's a guide for it in MP2 http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gam...le/589573/33829

An offshoot of this is speed running where you try to complete the game as fast as possible, skipping over all non-essential weapons and upgrades. In fact, in Metroid Zero Mission you actually get bonus endings for beating the game in different times with the minimum percent completion (15%)

Last edited by Darth Jello on Jun 9th, 2009 at 07:26 AM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 07:23 AM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Well that's some skill right there to use sequence breaking, if anything I'd leave it in, if using actual skill to exploit the game is available then it should be left in, like a reward...look at Portal for instance some of it's test chambers could be exploited with clever timed portal moves, instead of correcting them the dev's working on it left them in as a challenge to complete, if completed the player got a reward in the form of making it out of the chamber in half the time then usual.

Even exploiting glitches can take some sort of trick to figure out, so as long as they don't break gameplay for other people (like glitches in multiplayer) I see no need to fix them, fact is if you can utilise a skill in order to pass through a sequence or game then you should be rewarded for your effort and time you put in to find the glitch or utilize the correct maneuver in the first place.

If anything like Rid said, it adds to replay value to go out and find these sequence breaks.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 01:21 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

right, but for the programmer, it's the easy way out

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 05:56 PM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

right, but for the programmer, it's the easy way out

No one cares, it adds more to a game, you don't see Valve patching Portal because well like I said, they left the sneaky shortcuts in because A) it was fun B) It required skill to actually exploit weaknesses.

Nothings perfect and coming across these sort of things only add to the experience, they don't need to be patched it would only lessen the game, but then I'm guessing you didn't read my entire post to understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Jun 9th, 2009 at 07:28 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 07:14 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I'm not arguing one way or another. I'm just explaining why Nintendo and Retro would rather patch up sequence breaks. God, it seems like you just seek confrontation for the sake of arguing. Lay off the Red Bull Cola, the EU just proved it has cocaine in it after all.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 08:04 PM
dadudemon

Cool, thanks for explaining that, Darth Jello and Neo Darkhalen.

Yeah...I just called those glitches and exploits. Never knew that "power-up" and "plot" jumps through exploit or skill was called sequence jumping.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 09:25 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I'm not arguing one way or another. I'm just explaining why Nintendo and Retro would rather patch up sequence breaks. God, it seems like you just seek confrontation for the sake of arguing. Lay off the Red Bull Cola, the EU just proved it has cocaine in it after all.

You do realise you have just made yourself look like a right idiot just by that one post right?

I would rather comment on you instigating arguments by this very post you provided me, you seem to be quite the hypocrite in insinuating I am trying to start a conflict but then yourself actually respond in a goading manner.

But I stand by my original statement, nothing needs to be fixed the game can be completed thats all that matters.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 09:46 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The only differences I konw is some rooms contain enemies that are harder to defeat and some bosses are easier to defeat due to being harmed by different attacks like power bomb and screw attack.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2009 04:29 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

This vid intrigued me..

It's nice to hear that they're the opposite of Miyamoto, who thinks ignoring the fans is a good thing. If enough people buying the trilogy inspires Retro to continue with the Dark Samus/Phazon story in a future game, I'm all for it.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 12:16 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Meh, as in any other industry or art form, I think games are better when they're created for the creator and not by popular opinion or by focus group. You get some good games, some bad games, but a system of trial and error that allows people to make mistakes, innovate, and get the public interested in new and original ways of doing things that they never conceived of. When you listen to fans and just follow trends, all you end up with is 12 interchangeable Mega Man games and 30 versions of Street Fighter II. That being said, I still believe we need a third Star Tropics games.

I think that apart from Hunters and the sub plot with Sylux, everything that can be done with the prime series has been done and anything involving Dark Samus and Phazon would just end up being lame and a disservice to story.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 06:22 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Not really, considering that Prime 3 didn't really wrap up everything/tie all the loose ends to the plot involving Phazon. At least, as far as I'm concerned it didn't. There's plenty of ways they can continue it in a good fashion.
I'm all up for another Metroid game of some kind being developed in addition to Other M, even if it's just another prequel to Metroid II.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 06:29 AM
Impediment
Endless

I already own both GC games and the Wii game.

I see no reason to re-buy a trilogy set.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 01:12 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote