KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nintendo DS

Nintendo DS
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Arrow Official Nintendo DS Release Discussion

The new handheld system from Nintendo, the Nintendo DS (dual screen) was released this morning. Who went out and got theirs right away, and what games? What do you think of the included demo of Metroid Prime: First Hunt? What will the future bring for the DS? Discuss.

(note: I looked for another DS thread and the Search Results just gave me the DS vs PSP thread)

I got to Target around 7:55, five minutes before they opened. There were about six other people waiting there... luckily nobody else got up early to go to Target... they all probably went to Gamestop since they probably associate it most with Video Games.... and it opened at 11. I was with a friend, and we opened ours in the store and used the PictoChat, which is pretty cool. I was in awe at the opening cinematic of Metroid Prime: Hunters, since Samus kept switching from screen to screen. The graphics are superb, and the controls feel so comfortable to me. The double screens are also backlit, which is really nice, since I only had the original Game Boy Advance. I also got Super Mario 64 DS, which was on sale for $29. With my employee discount, I saved roughly $20 on the two. Can't wait for games from Square-Enix to premiere on the system.

Last edited by JKozzy on Nov 21st, 2004 at 03:58 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 03:51 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Sounds great. I can't wait till Christmas (then I'll have the cash to buy it). And by the way, Nintendo DS doesn't stand for Dual Screen, it is short for Developer System.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 04:58 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
Originally posted by Morridini
Sounds great. I can't wait till Christmas (then I'll have the cash to buy it).

Yep, it's awesome. I figure get the system when they'll actually have it in stock, and get all the games for Christmas. I hope too many younger kids don't get this just because it's new, because you have to have an idea on how to actually work the DS.... they'll end up crying and not knowing how to work it; the target age for the DS was somewhere in the 18-20 year old range said a few websites. Obviously if you're 16 it doesn't mean that they didn't intend for you to buy it... but it surely wasn't built for five year olds to use.

quote:
And by the way, Nintendo DS doesn't stand for Dual Screen, it is short for Developer System.

No, it's called Nintendo DS for Nintendo Dual-Screen.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:10 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Ok so they have changed the meaning of DS now. But if any of u caught the presentation of DS at the E3 show the spokesman told the audience that DS didn't actually stand for Dual-screen but for Developer System.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:18 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

it seriously stands for dual screen.. the guy must have been trying to make a joke when he said developers system (since i believe 125+ games are in developement for it now).

I plan to get myself a DS someday.. but I have to know if its 'really really' worth it. cuz I bought a gameboy advance SP and now this comes out .. -_- :sigh:

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:45 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZomBiE_HunTER
To Serve

IM about to get it in a couple hours.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:47 PM
ZomBiE_HunTER is currently offline Click here to Send ZomBiE_HunTER a Private Message Find more posts by ZomBiE_HunTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

I heard rumors that you could see FF advent children on the nintendo DS is it true???

Does anybody know?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:50 PM
Phoenix Aska is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix Aska a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Aska Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
it seriously stands for dual screen.. the guy must have been trying to make a joke when he said developers system (since i believe 125+ games are in developement for it now).

I plan to get myself a DS someday.. but I have to know if its 'really really' worth it. cuz I bought a gameboy advance SP and now this comes out .. -_- :sigh:
I was thinking the same thing.. like "It's the system to develop for [with all the possibilities]"... because it's always meant Dual-screen. If it were a developer's system, it'd probably be more expensive and explicitly say that... developers systems usually one would think is for developing games, and wouldn't have technical gadgets like two screens, etc etc....

When more games come out, the DS will be more than worth it, imho. The graphics are now the best on the market for any handheld, and the multiplayer abilities can be tapped into basically internet gaming at any hot-spot, or any place with a wireless router.The slot where the GBA "Game Paks" go is also said to house any future DS accessories" which could range from wireless gaming adapters to... lots of stuff. But I think that the built-in wireless is sufficent, it just lacks any means of executing it. Perhaps future games will have that built-in.
quote:
Originally posted by ZomBiE_HunTER
IM about to get it in a couple hours.
Better hurry, most stores that opened at 8am were sold out by 11am.
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix Aska
I heard rumors that you could see FF advent children on the nintendo DS is it true???

Does anybody know?

No, it is not true. You're thinking of the PSP, the Playstation Portable. They are developing Advent Children for DVD and UMD (the media that the PSP takes) in the form of a movie. Square-Enix doesn't develop for Nintendo systems; they created a seperate branch of the company to develop Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube and the DS. The rumors you heard are false.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 08:16 PM
Morridini
Morridini

quote:

EDIT: I started writing this before Jkozzy posted his post.

I just found my copy of a DVD featuring this years E3 to see what it was really said. I'll write what the spokesman said (if not anyone could tell me how to copy that part of the DVD so that I could just upload it, I have no trouble copying the whole DVD but I don't know how to just copy a small part):

Spokesman:" This is Nintendo DS" He shows the DS and people cheers. "From the time we announced it's code name, u have known these initials to represent the most obvious feature - Dual screen. But that's not what the initials stands for to us. DS has a much larger and more relevant meaning. DS - Developer System. In creating DS we have given the world's most talented game makers new tools to work with, new ways to express their imagination, and of course, in the end, new enjoyment for all of us. The result is this. DS not only changes Nintendo, it changes our industry" And then he continue talking for some minutes before they show the first glimpse of the New Zelda game.

So there u go, it was first meant to stand for Developer System.

Last edited by Morridini on Nov 21st, 2004 at 08:25 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 08:22 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
So there u go, it was first meant to stand for Developer System. [/B]

No, there you go, you just proved yourself wrong.

"From the time we announced it's code name, you have known these initials to represent the most obvious feature - Dual screen. But that's not what the initials stands for to us. DS has a much larger and more relevant meaning. DS - Developer System."

If that's not Nintendo's pun on the initials, I don't know what is. It means Developer System to them, as in it's a system that developers will be able to produce games for, for them. It says that it has a larger meaning, not different words behind the "D" and "S"

(written before the above post was edited by Morridini)

Last edited by JKozzy on Nov 21st, 2004 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 08:28 PM
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Is Metroid Prime:First Hunt/Hunters just multiplayer? If there is a single player, like Metroid Prime 2:Echoes, I may buy a DS then and buy that game, but I will try to find a pack for this, instead of blowing $150 for the console, and $30-$40 on the game.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 08:45 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

It's definately more fixated on the single player aspect, from what I can tell. That's all I've been doing with Hunters, and it's been such a blast, even with the "First Hunt" demo that was packaged in. First Hunt basically is lots of training and shooting, and other stuff of the sort. There is a multiplayer option to it, but I haven't gotten together with my friend yet to play the multiplayer game yet. Graphics that are better than the Nintendo 64 on a handheld, it's something you have to see.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 08:50 PM
Morridini
Morridini

quote:
Originally posted by JKozzy
No, there you go, you just proved yourself wrong.

"From the time we announced it's code name, you have known these initials to represent the most obvious feature - Dual screen. But that's not what the initials stands for to us. DS has a much larger and more relevant meaning. DS - Developer System."

If that's not Nintendo's pun on the initials, I don't know what is. It means Developer System to them, as in it's a system that developers will be able to produce games for, for them. It says that it has a larger meaning, not different words behind the "D" and "S"

Ok then, I may have misinterpreted it. But it could mean that they intended to call it Developer System but since the peopel thought it stood for Dual Screen they then decided that it should stand for Duel Screen

quote:
(written before the above post was edited by Morridini) [/B]

That's not true. U posted that post at 09:28 while I edited it the last time at 09:25.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 09:02 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
Ok then, I may have misinterpreted it. But it could mean that they intended to call it Developer System but since the peopel thought it stood for Dual Screen they then decided that it should stand for Duel Screen

...no. There is no logic in calling it what it isn't.
quote:
quote:
That's not true. U posted that post at 09:28 while I edited it the last time at 09:25. [/B]
I can't see you post in realtime, I was in the process of writing before I saw it. So sorry I didn't phrase it to your satisfaction.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 09:07 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I dont get it though, if it has better graphics than the N64, why does it look all damn pixely in most of the screenshots of in-game that ive been seeing?

Examples :

(please log in to view the image)

I know mario kart wont be released til september of next year, but the mario screens also offered a bit of pixel play.

Last edited by SaTsuJiN on Nov 21st, 2004 at 09:32 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 09:22 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Not sure, perhaps the screenshots were from early versions of some games, or the capturing utilities weren't up to par for the DS? That's all I can think of; the graphics are amazing.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 09:27 PM
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

heh I knew it....that's what I get for listening to othr people on the forums.....

I thought that was weird that square enix wasa with nintendo....

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 10:02 PM
Phoenix Aska is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix Aska a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Aska Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
I dont get it though, if it has better graphics than the N64, why does it look all damn pixely in most of the screenshots of in-game that ive been seeing?

Examples :

I know mario kart wont be released til september of next year, but the mario screens also offered a bit of pixel play.
I have Super Mario 64 DS, and it's nothing like the screen you posted messed

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 10:17 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

so none of the games so far takes advantage of the infrared link ability?
and picto chat sounds awesome heh

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 12:26 PM
Holcomb

Nintendo DS package

Has anyone else seen that nintendo ds bundle toys r us is offering? It includes like 3 games I think for a good price. I was thinking of getting a ds for my bro now I might have to get one for myself too.

Has anyone else seen this bundle?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 01:33 PM
Holcomb is currently offline Click here to Send Holcomb a Private Message Find more posts by Holcomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote