KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead
Started by: Vinny Valentine

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Left 4 Dead

Supposedly a Zombie game while you're stuck in a city?

I know little about this game. Fill Me in.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 04:37 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Info from Gamespot, copy-pasting for those of u who don't bother clicking links:

"You might not think about team-based online multiplayer going hand-in-hand with "survival horror" games--games like the Resident Evil series that give you only limited resources while pitting you against legions of horrible monsters, often in cramped confines. After all, classic survival horror games are usually single-player experiences because they're about your character being all alone in a hostile, zombie-filled world. But Turtle Rock Studios, a developer with credits that include Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and the Xbox version of Counter-Strike, is doing just that with Left 4 Dead. This new team-based game for the PC and Xbox 360 pits small teams of humans against "the infected," which are hordes of ordinary people transformed into mindless killing machines by a mysterious virus that has spread throughout the game's various environments. We sat down with Turtle Rock's Michael Booth to get the first details.

GameSpot: What exactly is Left 4 Dead? We understand that it has survival horror elements, but what else is there to the game? How would you describe it?

Michael Booth: Left 4 Dead is a cooperative survivor horror game where four survivors must work together to escape a city teeming with an overwhelming number of the infected. If you work together, you have a chance. If you run off on your own, you will die.

GS: What's the setting? Is it contemporary America, in the vein of something like Dead Rising? Or is this a postapocalyptic future we're talking about? What sort of environments will we see?

MB: Left 4 Dead is set contemporary America. Although we've pushed the fiction a bit for the sake of gameplay (such as including the "boss infected"), the basic idea of a catastrophic pandemic and the collapse of civilization makes for great survival horror because it is quite plausible. We wanted our environments to remind you of home--but a horribly changed and tortured version of home.

The initial four campaigns of Left 4 Dead include both urban areas and rural areas, with lots of dense architecture and challenging landscapes. Each campaign also ends with an elaborate "finale" where the survivors must make a stand while waiting for a rescue vehicle to arrive and take them to apparent safety.

GS: Who's who in the game? Who are the main characters, what are they trying to do, and what exactly are the infected?

MB: The four survivors include Bill, a Vietnam veteran with combat skills that have helped keep him alive; Louis, an assistant manager at a local retail electronics chain store; Zoey, the teenage daughter of a wealthy family; and Francis, who is big, loud, and rough, but always has your back.

Left 4 Dead will pit a small team of humans against rampaging killing machines.

Imagine that you live in a major city during a time when a new and highly virulent strain of the rabies virus emerges and begins spreading rapidly among the human population. Those infected become dangerously psychotic and attack all noninfected on sight. You are one of the lucky few who seem to be immune to the virus, but are trapped in a city teeming with thousands of extremely violent infected. Banding together with a few other survivors, you try to escape.

GS: It seems safe to say that Left 4 Dead is a class-based game, considering Turtle Rock's previous work on Counter-Strike: Source, and judging from the early graphic showing the four heroes, each carrying a different type of weapon. What are the classes in the game, and how do they complement one another?

MB: From the survivor standpoint, Left 4 Dead is a cooperative game in which success is based upon the skills of each member and the team's ability to work together as a unit. As such, the four survivors have the same weaponry available to them and begin with the same skills.

On the infected side, however, the characters available to human players (the boomer, smoker, hunter, and tank) have very specific skills.

GS: It sounds like infected characters play quite a bit differently from the humans. Will you be able to shoot guns, as well?

While survivors will use guns, the infected will have to rely on their other abilities to win.
MB: The experience of playing an infected is entirely different than that of being a survivor. The four "boss infected" classes have very unique abilities based on their particular virus-induced...mutations.

For example, the boomer can vomit blood on his victim, which attracts hordes of infected to this victim. The smoker, meanwhile, has a 50-foot tongue that can pull a survivor out of position or even leave them hanging.

But the infected cannot use items or fire weapons, and will die quickly if they blindly charge at the well-armed survivor group. That said, the infected are legion in number and when one dies, they spawn right back into the fray after a short time. The infected just keep coming.

As such, playing as an infected tends to be more of a "hide and seek" kind of thing. You want to position yourself to attack at the worst possible time for the survivors, lurking and stalking for a bit until you make your move. That is, unless you are the tank. Then you charge right in and cause massive chaos and mayhem--tossing cars into the air, smashing through concrete walls, that sort of thing.

GS: Is there going to be some kind of story, or is the game mainly a series of multiplayer battles, like Counter-Strike? We understand the game will also ship with four campaigns, each containing five maps. Is each campaign basically a chapter, or a collection of maps that share a same theme?

MB: The campaigns are a connected and evolving set of maps. Like CS, the design goal is to create interesting areas that will allow for extended replay value. Unlike CS, the maps in each campaign are connected and lead to an eventual finale that the survivors are challenged to reach and complete. And along the way, player stats are collected and displayed at given intervals.

The only "story" elements in the game are the differing goals of each campaign, which are all of the "survive-and-escape" variety.

This is an intentional design decision. We've kept the overall goal of the game simple, because the moment-to-moment gameplay is often hectic and mentally demanding. Trying to stay with your team, keep everyone alive, and keep moving toward the next checkpoint is often enough to keep track of.

GS: Multiplayer cooperative gameplay is a big feature of Left 4 Dead, but will you be able to play by yourself in some kind of single-player game? If so, in that case is it just your character solo, or will other members of your team be controlled by artificial intelligence?

MB: Left 4 Dead is built upon Turtle Rock Studios' next-generation AI technology. This lets us create a scalable game experience whether you play alone with AI-controlled survivors and infected, or online with and against human players.

GS: Could you go into detail about the multiplayer modes? It sounds like there's going to be cooperative gameplay against the AI, but also competitive gameplay, with one team playing as the humans and the other team playing as the infected.

MB: The game is designed to allow human players to drop in and out without adversely affecting the experience or requiring the scenario to restart. We have also taken steps to maintain the survivor's game experience even with the presence of human-controlled infected. Although the infected can "win" by killing all of the survivors before they reach the finale and escape, it doesn't feel like a traditional competitive game--it still feels very cooperative from the survivor side.

GS: What sort of weapons will be in the game? Are we talking about modern-day equipment mixed in with a few futuristic prototypes? And can we expect any kind of vehicular combat?

The game is scheduled for release on both the PC and the Xbox 360.
MB: For the initial release of Left 4 Dead, the game's arsenal consists of weaponry that you would be able to scavenge during such a catastrophe: handguns, hunting rifles, shotguns, even some homemade weaponry like pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails.

We are planning to continue to create and release new content for the game via Steam, much as we have done for the Counter-Strike franchise. Over time, we expect the inventory of items in Left 4 Dead to continue to grow.

GS: Finally, a PC version is scheduled for the first half of 2007, with an Xbox 360 version scheduled that winter. Can we expect both versions to be identical? And will the two versions be playable against one another?

MB: Left 4 Dead was explicitly designed as an online cooperative survivor horror experience. I've been quite impressed with the Xbox 360 and its Xbox Live interface. Our game will be a perfect fit for it.

Allowing the PC and Xbox 360 versions of Left 4 Dead to play together is something we're still investigating.

GS: Fair enough. Thanks, Michael. "

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 05:26 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Strikes me as a less interesting Resdent Evil.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 05:49 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

quote: (post)
Originally posted by §P0oONY
Strikes me as a less interesting Resdent Evil.

I don't know, Multilayer sounds like it would be a blast. Somewhat like Stay Alive. Get to play with your friends and such. Also. its hard to compare any game to RE, its too good laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 05:51 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Cooperative play sounds like it'd be a bundle of fun.

It's got my interest. Has a specific release date been given yet?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 06:54 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by H. S. 6
It's got my interest. Has a specific release date been given yet?

Nothing beyond Second Quarter of 2007, meaning April-June.

It doesn't sound like a game of Resident Evil quality, but the way they make the multiplayer part sound it makes me want to keep an eye out for it. I never cared much for CS, got too boring too fast, but now it seems like they have spent some more time then just throwing a bunch of people into a small map equipped with guns.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 07:18 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Yeah, The whole "Go out on your own and die," things got me hooker to it. You actually might have to Think to play.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 07:59 PM
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
You actually might have to Think to play.

Too bad for all the CS players who will get this game then.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 08:57 PM
A Hero's Fate
The Legend Ends

Originally posted by Morridini
Too bad for all the CS players who will get this game then.

Not if your a CS player who plays the zombie mods in it alot. Since if your on your own your dead np matter what, and the zombies there can kick the living shit out of a group of 10 people

Old Post Mar 15th, 2007 12:56 AM
A Hero's Fate is currently offline Click here to Send A Hero's Fate a Private Message Find more posts by A Hero's Fate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilAngel
Over the hills

Left 4 Dead

My Cousin told me about this, any thoughts.

I thought it looked pretty good

Left 4 Dead, Website

Left 4 Dead, Wiki

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 11:08 PM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Duplicate Thread. smile

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 11:36 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

nani- *explodes*

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 11:43 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

/bump~

a few friends and I are really looking forward to this game

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 12:31 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm stoked about this game.

Looks alot of fun.

Some interesting math behind the scenes too.
Hopefull the game is not full price though because its strictly an MP (or is there an SP)

I also like how you can play as the zombie bosses also. It looks original and I'm assuming Valve's strict policy of not releasings its games until they're perfect works out on this game.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 04:12 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: Left 4 Dead

Originally posted by Vinny Valentine

Supposedly a Zombie game while you're stuck in a city?

I know little about this game. Fill Me in.

I have heard about this.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 11:01 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

release date has been pushed back to august or something I've heard.. was originally supposed to be due february

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 05:16 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Q2 2008.

I wouldnt be surprised if it came out in November.

Right now, I think they're prefecting the algorithims that push the release of Infected against the players and how the big zombie bosses are released also.

Read the PC Gamer feature on it, and it shows how if your one of the bosses, you can see where the Survivors are going to go next and stuff. Very interesting.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 06:26 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Odd....

I can certainly not remember posting all those posts back up there....

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 08:25 PM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Odd....

It happens every now and then.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 10:27 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Odd....

What?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2008 04:46 AM