KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Aion

Aion
Started by: Juk3n

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Aion

Aion - Open Chinese beta w/english patch, been playing for 60 hours so far. It is a killer APP, you guys still got 2 days to get involved, go to Naomi Cheungs' myspace page and follow her instructions.

Any MMO fan should take this oppertunity to test this game out.

*ps it's a bit of a beast on specs.

Well worth it.

Old Post May 12th, 2009 08:55 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Anyone played the beta for this? I missed it >.<

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 07:27 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

can i play it on my mac?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 09:38 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Played one of the closed betas.

Not a fan.

It's just a typical Korean grind-fest MMO. Bored the hell out of me and I haven't tried it again since.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 02:03 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

pay to play or no?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 02:53 PM
BoratBorat is currently offline Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

It's pay to play, yeah.

Basically, if you like WoW or Perfect World you might like this. If not...don't bother.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 03:00 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach

Not a fan.

It's just a typical Korean grind-fest MMO. Bored the hell out of me and I haven't tried it again since.

I was worried it would be one of those -_- Knowing me, I'll buy it, play it for a month then it'll sit on the shelf next to WoW, Warhammer Online, Galaxies and Guild Wars.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 07:34 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

Played in the closed beta event. Only one thing bothered me and that was you can fly but only in the most useless of places like in one of the three towns I went to and no where else on the maps. I would hope they get rid of that and just allow you to fly every where. Started to get pissed off having to run back and forward to places since the maps are so big.

Not a fan.

This game is far from Korean rice farmer territory, exp gains are fast, quest exp is a lot. You can easily lvl on quests alone and faster than just grinding on mobs for hours.

Last edited by Magee on Aug 19th, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 11:44 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Hazardous
I was worried it would be one of those -_- Knowing me, I'll buy it, play it for a month then it'll sit on the shelf next to WoW, Warhammer Online, Galaxies and Guild Wars.

Hey, don't even group GW in with the rest of those stick out tongue

Originally posted by Magee
Played in the closed beta event. Only one thing bothered me and that was you can fly but only in the most useless of places like in one of the three towns I went to and no where else on the maps. I would hope they get rid of that and just allow you to fly every where. Started to get pissed off having to run back and forward to places since the maps are so big.

This game is far from Korean rice farmer territory, exp gains are fast, quest exp is a lot. You can easily lvl on quests alone and faster than just grinding on mobs for hours.

Quests that consist of nothing other than "go kill xxx numbers of yyy" (which is all I came across in Aion while I played) is grind. Doesn't matter that they lessened the amount of it present in the western release (I have heard that the Chinese/Korean version is much, much worse), it's still a grind-based game.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 02:39 PM
Q'Anilia
Exiled Master Jedi

Played the closed beta. It was cool, but nothing special. Won't pursuit.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 03:02 PM
Q'Anilia is currently offline Click here to Send Q'Anilia a Private Message Find more posts by Q'Anilia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cloud's Apollo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Has WoW beat.

The hidden player stats combined with the look of the armour not necessarily having to match the armour stats creates for a far superior PVP experience, where you can't be entirely certain how powerful a certain character might be; it adds a greater sense of risk to PvP combat.

The character customisation allows for far more diversity, which is important in giving the player more of a sense of individuality in an MMORPG.

And lastly, it actually has an underlying storyline that directs and drives the player through the contents of the game - fundamental for any kind of RPG (and something that WoW lacks).

Not to mention the far superior graphics and more captivating artistic design.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 05:31 PM
Cloud's Apollo is currently offline Click here to Send Cloud's Apollo a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud's Apollo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

Quests that consist of nothing other than "go kill xxx numbers of yyy" (which is all I came across in Aion while I played) is grind. Doesn't matter that they lessened the amount of it present in the western release (I have heard that the Chinese/Korean version is much, much worse), it's still a grind-based game.
Are all mmorpg not basically grind based? You need to spend a considerable amount of time leveling to get any where in them. Really this is one of the least intense mmorpg I've played, I just wouldn't class Aion as a no lifer grind fest.

There were many quests that didn't involve hunting mobs and they were the ones that pissed me off, running back and forward between NPCs some times on opposite sides of the map. I got to lvl 13 in the three day beta event just playing casually a few hours a day but I prefer to lvl on mobs while doing only the main story line quests. I just think this will be one of the best out there for a while and can't wait till it's released.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 12:13 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Not really. Most are, though, which is one of the things I tend to dislike about MMOs (well, one of many things). Grind sucks.

The only one I play is Guild Wars, which is pretty much grind-free. You can fully level up a character in a dozen hours without much of a problem, and that can all be done while just playing the story and doing sidequests and not killing mobs at all.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 12:21 AM
Q'Anilia
Exiled Master Jedi

Looking forward to see what's the new questing concept with TOR when it's coming big grin

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 12:48 AM
Q'Anilia is currently offline Click here to Send Q'Anilia a Private Message Find more posts by Q'Anilia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I only thought this game would be good because of the fighting system.. but when I played the chinese beta, I wasnt so impressed..

customization, check

prettiness, check

Lineage 2 mob grind?.... check... -_-

I'm waiting on FF14 atm.. I'm excited to see how they plan to change MMOs

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 01:53 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's pay to play, yeah.

Basically, if you like WoW or Perfect World you might like this. If not...don't bother.
meh must be more grinding, i didn't like WOW that much.

I'll wait for SWTOR instead.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 02:11 AM
BoratBorat is currently offline Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

Not really. Most are, though, which is one of the things I tend to dislike about MMOs (well, one of many things). Grind sucks.

The only one I play is Guild Wars, which is pretty much grind-free. You can fully level up a character in a dozen hours without much of a problem, and that can all be done while just playing the story and doing sidequests and not killing mobs at all.
Well I can understand why you don't like Aion if you're not really in to MMOs. Although what do you do once you reach lvl cap on Guild Wars? I've always seen lvlin to be a slow process where the max shouldn't be reached in a couple of days, weeks or even months. It's the main part of the game that once you finish theres not much left other than pvp and getting better items for pvp.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 09:11 AM
Hazardous

Hey, don't even group GW in with the rest of those stick out tongue

Its an MMO that I never play, it goes on the pile

I'm definitely getting The Old Republic though, if they made that free to play it'd probably make a massive dent in the MMO market.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 11:23 AM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Magee
Well I can understand why you don't like Aion if you're not really in to MMOs. Although what do you do once you reach lvl cap on Guild Wars? I've always seen lvlin to be a slow process where the max shouldn't be reached in a couple of days, weeks or even months. It's the main part of the game that once you finish theres not much left other than pvp and getting better items for pvp.

You actually play the game. There's, you know, an actual plot and storyline to play through and levelling is very much non-important stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 01:54 PM
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

^ sounds like SWTOR

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 04:05 PM