KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Guinness reveals gaming's most recognizable character

Guinness reveals gaming's most recognizable character
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Guinness reveals gaming's most recognizable character

Who's the most recognizable character in video games? Nintendo legend Mario? Helmeted Halo lead Master Chief? Football legend John Madden? No -- according to the 2010 Gamers' Edition of the Guinness book of world records, ever-hungry retro icon Pac-Man edges the win.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/...aracter/1383766

i read in game informer that mrs. pac man was more popular that pac man was. and i thought Mario might've taken the guinness title but it was pac man.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 03:07 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Pac-Man? Over Mario? Really?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 03:28 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Quincy
Pac-Man? Over Mario? Really?

Of course.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 03:53 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I say that makes sense.

The character has been around since the 70' and people who played Pac Man when they were kids/teenagers who stopped playing games after that would know it.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 04:37 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Who's the most recognizable character in video games? Nintendo legend Mario? Helmeted Halo lead Master Chief? Football legend John Madden? No -- according to the 2010 Gamers' Edition of the Guinness book of world records, ever-hungry retro icon Pac-Man edges the win.

i read in game informer that mrs. pac man was more popular that pac man was. and i thought Mario might've taken the guinness title but it was pac man.

well, she's a bit of a tramp, so...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 05:12 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Pac-Man huh? I'm fine with that.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 06:01 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kyrie Illunis
Restricted

Account Restricted

They're wrong. It's mario.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 06:41 PM
Kyrie Illunis is currently offline Click here to Send Kyrie Illunis a Private Message Find more posts by Kyrie Illunis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Honestly I can see more people not knowing who "Pac-Man" is than Mario.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 07:27 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Just this week, I was playing Super Mario Bros Wii and half of the family had no idea who Mario was.

But I would betcha they knew Pac Man.

The reason is because he's the first mascot so everybody who played the arcades would know who he was because there wasn't a lot of competition. They stopped (from evidence of the video game crash) and then the NES came out for the newer generations of kids. If you didn't play games after that there is a chance you never knew about Mario.

But Pac-Man has been around since the beginning and games are still being created.

In the end, there is no way of quantifying how many people know each character but there is a good chance Pac-Man would come out ahead.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 07:53 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Smasandian
I say that makes sense.

The character has been around since the 70' and people who played Pac Man when they were kids/teenagers who stopped playing games after that would know it.

Pac Man actually came out in 1980.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 08:50 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

One year off, I'm sorry but my point remains the same.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 09:04 PM
Scythe
The Goat

I would have thought it'd be a Tetris block.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 09:17 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Guinness reveals gaming's most recognizable character

Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Guiness is wrong, and it's by far not the first time they've been wrong, either.

What they say is not automatically a fact.

The only way they could prove Pac-man is the most recognizable video game character is by doing a MASSIVE psychological study all over the world across as many demographics as possible. Then, have their results duplicated and peer reviewed (within an acceptable margin of error, of course).

The correct answer is Mario, not Pac-man.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Just this week, I was playing Super Mario Bros Wii and half of the family had no idea who Mario was.

That half has been living under a rock.

Just curious, is that half of the family also hard pressed to do things on the internet above checking their e-mail?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 10:19 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Everyone knows it's Cloud (kidding)

Oh and Michael Jackson would win this (he was a video game character for the Sega Genesis and Arcade) so it counts!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 11:08 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Re: Re: Guinness reveals gaming's most recognizable character

Originally posted by dadudemon
Guiness is wrong, and it's by far not the first time they've been wrong, either.

The only way they could prove Pac-man is the most recognizable video game character is by doing a MASSIVE psychological study all over the world across as many demographics as possible. Then, have their results duplicated and peer reviewed (within an acceptable margin of error, of course).

That half has been living under a rock.

Just curious, is that half of the family also hard pressed to do things on the internet above checking their e-mail?

So when you say its Mario, that's fact right?

Oh, because the Internet is around to look up videogame information? That's why its there right?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 11:50 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Then I can suppose that you've done a MASSIVE psychological study all over the world across as many demographics as possible? Then, had your results duplicated and peer reviewed and came to the conclusion that it was indeed Mario? Good to know that we have such dedicated people around here.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 01:45 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

So, Pac-Man is older than Mario by a year? I mean, maybe really really old people will know who Pac-Man is and NOT know who Mario is, but to be the worlds most recognizable character?

Just doesn't add up.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 02:07 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Let's just all agree to send me one dollar.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 02:08 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

I don't think that's true, but I could see why if it were.

And dadudemon, your signature and avatar are still looking delicious.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 02:41 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Do you not realize how much of a hypocrite you make yourself sound like here?

"They're absolutely and totally wrong because they didn't do four billion different studies about it. Oh, and by the way, my opinion is right."

I'd be willing to believe that Pac-Man is more recognizable than Mario. Not everyone owns (or has owned) a video game console, but I'm sure most people have at least seen an arcade once, and Pac-Man is still to this day an arcade staple. Even if it's just as small and simple as a couple game cabinets in the waiting area at the local pizza place, you're more likely than not to find a Pac-Man machine.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 05:19 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote