KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Americans or Japanese?

Americans or Japanese?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Americans or Japanese?

A lot of games come from both sides, Americans and Japanese. Which side do you think makes the better games?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 03:42 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King-Fingolfin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Depends on Genre and the Audience.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 03:52 AM
King-Fingolfin is currently offline Click here to Send King-Fingolfin a Private Message Find more posts by King-Fingolfin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I'm rather fond of american gaming.. they take more risks and always push the limits of the available tech

japanese just like to beat stuff down til its old stank and tired

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 04:13 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Honestly? My main stain is Fightin' Games. Cuz of that, I enjoy Japanese games more. But cuz I'm American I'm gonna ride for my star spangled brothers.

America! PHUCK YEAH!!!

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 05:19 AM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I'm rather fond of american gaming.. they take more risks and always push the limits of the available tech

japanese just like to beat stuff down til its old stank and tired

I think Japan has American developers beat when it comes to who pushes the technology to it's limits. Actually, that might be an understatement.

I personally, don't care. As long as the game is fun and in English i'm all good. I do like how Japan actually incorporates it's culture and beliefs into their games. The only problem i have Japanese games is that their games never make ay sense. Maybe, i'm saying that wrong. Most Japanese games are fooking insane, mind-warping stories. I like consistency and coherence in my story lines.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 08:00 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You kidding me?

American, or European developers easily push the technology to its limit than Japanese.

Japanese gaming has hit a rut. Outside of Nintendo, and Capcom, who are starting to become more of an American developer anyways the majority of games coming out of Japan seem to be the same thing.

When Square is starting to use the Unreal engine for some of its game, it shows that American's are pushing the limits. Considering some of the best graphics are coming out of Europe and America also shows how those developers are pushing engines.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 11:37 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Smasandian
You kidding me?

American, or European developers easily push the technology to its limit than Japanese.

Japanese gaming has hit a rut. Outside of Nintendo, and Capcom, who are starting to become more of an American developer anyways the majority of games coming out of Japan seem to be the same thing.

When Square is starting to use the Unreal engine for some of its game, it shows that American's are pushing the limits. Considering some of the best graphics are coming out of Europe and America also shows how those developers are pushing engines.

QFT.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 06:38 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sketch_turner
"Well done Turner"!

Most of the enjoyable games i played were anything but american.

Sketch thanks Messahi for the sig.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 06:42 PM
sketch_turner is currently offline Click here to Send sketch_turner a Private Message Find more posts by sketch_turner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I guess it all depends. But probably ****ING AMERICA BABY!

But being the Otaku nerd that I am, I crave to play imported japanese games. I wish that shit came over here. They have all the fun anime games.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 08:19 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I'm going to go with "depends on the genre".

My favorite game genre would be RPGs. Of those, I vastly prefer turn-based RPGs. Those are mostly Japanese-made. I tend to get extremely bored/put off by Western-made RPGs.

quote:
the majority of games coming out of Japan seem to be the same thing.

Are American games really any different, though? How is "generic shooter after generic shooter" any different?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 08:24 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

As of now I think American/European companies have beat out Japanese when it comes to sheer quality and innovation by a pretty significant margin. The only ones that the Japanese still hold a commanding grip on is fighting and maybe plaformers.

Even RPG's, Japan's long standing trademarked genre is being taken over by Americans and Europeans, using new and innovative ways to enhance the genre and move it forward (look no further than Fallout 3 or Fable II, both having infinite more new ideas than any Japanese RPG since FFX).

Think of the best games of the last few years - Bioshock, Fallout 3, The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Company of Heroes. All western games.

It's also of course going to depend on who you ask and where they live.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 09:43 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by BackFire
Think of the best games of the last few years - Bioshock, Fallout 3, The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Company of Heroes. All western games.

Well you totally ignored the Wii games, Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, both Japanese and great.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 10:04 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

that's two and neither of those games were considered "ground breaking" or even slightly innovative to my knowledge

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 10:13 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Two games.

Western games are ultimately of greater innovative creativity, quality, and are just plain better.

Even the RPG market is being Western dominated now. Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Fable 2, etc., Western RPGs that have done things JRPGs have not.

Japan does still have the Fighting Game market however.

But look at the games Backfire posted, those are pretty much among the best games out lately(along with Mass Effect of course stick out tongue), all western.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 10:20 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Morridini
Well you totally ignored the Wii games, Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, both Japanese and great.

Twilight Princess was good but it's simply Ocarina of Time with better graphics and a larger world. No innovation there.

But Galaxy, yes a masterful and original game that made the Wii worth owning just for it alone.

Of course I'm not saying there aren't any innovative or original Japanese games out there, just the volume isn't nearly as high as western developed games, at least for the time being, I feel.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 11:20 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Originally posted by Peach
I'm going to go with "depends on the genre".

My favorite game genre would be RPGs. Of those, I vastly prefer turn-based RPGs. Those are mostly Japanese-made. I tend to get extremely bored/put off by Western-made RPGs.

Are American games really any different, though? How is "generic shooter after generic shooter" any different?

I'm talking about the complete disregard for trying something new and refreshing.. gears created something refreshing.. as lame as halo can be, it brought refreshing elements to the genre..

Diablo series ?
Half-Life / 2 ?
Elderscrolls IV ?
Unreal Series ?
Crysis?

..hell.. Quake III?.. japan cant even MAKE a decent FPS.. let alone spam them

None of these are similar in any way, as opposed to listing FF with Pokemon with even Dissidia.. they're all awesome in their own right.. but they share far too many similar elements..

(I'm actually pissed that dissidia wasnt for a non-portable console.. as I really wanted to see what a versus fighter would be like with the Crisis Core / Dissidia style engine)

japanese have their own market (Fighting / Beat-em-up, and Turn Based RPG).. but when it comes to breaking the barriers.. america is tops, IMO (FPS, RTS, Action-RPG,.. and things like A.I. , Simulations, etc)

thats why I'm glad america has their own console now.. so we dont have to give a damn "what the japanese are into" to determine what gets the "thumbs up" for release here.. crap is annoying as hell..

did you know the eternal champions sequel got canned by sega, "because it would compete with virtua fighter" ?.. gross..

Last edited by SaTsuJiN on Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2009 11:49 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Japanese have awesome games too like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Steet Fighter. Are any of these games from the side of Japan lame? No (except for that one Silent Hill game called Homecoming).

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 01:51 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
but when it comes to breaking the barriers.. america is tops, IMO
That's not an opinion.

It's a fact.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 02:11 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Icy Ninja
Ninja Sith

I really can't choose out of my top 10 favorite games it's split right down the middle 5 for the west and 5 for Japan but if i had to make a choice probably the west as I play there games more erm

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 02:33 AM
Icy Ninja is currently offline Click here to Send Icy Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Icy Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Japanese have awesome games too like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Steet Fighter. Are any of these games from the side of Japan lame? No (except for that one Silent Hill game called Homecoming).
well the interesting thing all of those series share is that they didnt really do the same thing over and over.. ('cept street fighter.. /sigh..)

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 03:59 AM