KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Things You Miss From Yesteryear.

Things You Miss From Yesteryear.
Started by: §P0oONY

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

Things You Miss From Yesteryear.

What sort of things do you miss that games are just no longer doing?

A couple of examples right here:

I really miss point and click adventures, things like Monkey Island and Broken Sword. They've all but died away now.

Another thing are sprites. I really miss the look of old 16-bit games especially. The fresh cartoony looking detail. Detailed enough to see what's going on without fancy CGI and shit.

I know I'm probably too young to really miss anything, but you catch my drift.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 09:33 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Innovation. erm

I do miss true heroism in games. It seems like a fad to be "anti-hero" or choose your side now. I'm sure they are still there, but I don't see them so much.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 09:36 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Innovation. erm

I do miss true heroism in games. It seems like a fad to be "anti-hero" or choose your side now. I'm sure they are still there, but I don't see them so much.
I agree, the moral choice thing is over used.

I miss linearity, I know plenty of games still have it with storyline (even if they pretend they don't) but I miss it in RPG character development. I like an RPG having customisation up to the point of weapon and armour but I miss it simply saying "You went up a level, here are your stat increases". In most RPGs nowadays you have to pick your stat increases.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 09:42 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Healthbars.

I don't care how tough you are, if you get shot, crouching for 5 seconds should not make you back to normal.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 09:42 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Morridini
Healthbars.

I don't care how tough you are, if you get shot, crouching for 5 seconds should not make you back to normal.
I never got how the regeneration healing was supposed to be more realistic. The health bar actually created the impresion you were wounded. (even if it didn't effect gameplay)

On the FPS note, I miss being able to carry more than 2 guns. I know it's not realistic. But I'm playing a game, not doing the real thing.

I know both my points are kind of contradicting eachother but meh.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 09:46 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I never thought it was supposed to be realistic but too encourage aggressive action.

I also don't see how a health bar created any sort of impression that your wounded.

"hmm, got hit by a bullet, but wait!! I'm only at 30 per cent health, I'll be fine".

I love no health bars. I don't have to worry about conserving health or finding health packs. They work in some games like Half Life, but in modern shooters like MW2, health packs are dumb.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 10:08 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Smasandian
I never thought it was supposed to be realistic but too encourage aggressive action.

I also don't see how a health bar created any sort of impression that your wounded.

"hmm, got hit by a bullet, but wait!! I'm only at 30 per cent health, I'll be fine".

I love no health bars. I don't have to worry about conserving health or finding health packs. They work in some games like Half Life, but in modern shooters like MW2, health packs are dumb.
It's opinion, I believe it creates more of an impression of being wounded then the screen being blood stained and then the blood simply disappearing. Trying to survive on like 1 or 2 health points was always far more exciting then having to sit behind a wall for 5-10 seconds while you wait for your screen to become less grey and blood stained.

MW2 is great, but that doesn't mean you can't wish less games were like it.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 10:21 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Or less exciting then scrounging for mysterious health packs.

There both terrible options but at least regenerating health promotes a more aggressive approach.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 10:26 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Or less exciting then scrounging for mysterious health packs.

There both terrible options but at least regenerating health promotes a more aggressive approach.
Aggressive until you get injured.

Don't get me wrong, I like the regeneration of health thing. I just wish that there were more games that had a health bar. I never really thought the health bar was a bad game mechanic, especially not bad enough to be all but wiped out.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 10:32 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It goes with the times.

You rarely see non-modern shooters anymore and health bars for modern shooters wouldn't work as well.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 10:35 PM
§P0oONY

I don't really play many modern FPS tbh, I don't like how they're all geared towards online play... and they're all pretty same-y gameplay wise. This isn't a new thing thouhg, FPS have always been like that... It's just there are more of them being made nowadays.

Here's something else I miss, local multiplayer on games you'd expect to have local multiplayer. An example Need for Speed Shift, I can't play with my flatmate on this racing game because it doesn't support local multiplayer. I for one have no ambition to play games online with people. I don't want to talk to my friends over silly little headsets, I want to sit in a room with them and play. I also have no ambition to play with total strangers. Where is the fun in that? Why are games not catering for people like me anymore. I miss split screen... It used to be in more or less ever FPS and racing game. If I'm not mistaken it was one of the great things about console gaming compared to PC.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 10:52 PM
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Don't miss heroes as some of the stories can get cliched and become a moral lesson. however If they did it like infamous I welcome it back

keep in mind "hero" is used to refer to the protagonist at times. Hercules was a hero but never behaved at times like one.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 11:03 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

the thing with the healthbars / regen is that they're going to exist until someone adds some kind of realistic body damage (depending on the lore of the games universe).. which can really range from anywhere to being shot while wearing kevlar.. to having your body cleaved in two by some kind of plasma blade

who's to really say how much pain a game character can take without it either becoming an annoying pace killer, or just downright dampening the funfactor

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 02:26 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I agree.

When it comes to multiplayer regen health is how I want it.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 02:47 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i miss linearity in games period... ive come to the realization that i just plain dont like sandbox games that much.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 03:08 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Things You Miss From Yesteryear.

Originally posted by §P0oONY

A couple of examples right here:

I really miss point and click adventures, things like Monkey Island and Broken Sword. They've all but died away now.

Technically they have'nt died out

The game system used in those games have been used in other games

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 07:00 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Difficulty.

The older NES games and such were hard, and as such when you beat it you felt like you actually accomplished something.

Alot of modern games I can beat in a few hours without dying once so really, who gives a shit?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 10:19 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I do.

I hate how challenge has to put in games just because. If it warrents, then I don't care.

Why? Because 20 years ago the game was hard because if it wasn't, it would be done in like 5 minutes?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 11:31 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I have to agree on the split screen thing. The assumption nowadays is that the vast majority of people are going to play online, when i honestly think the numbers aren't as high as some would say.

That also means that single player suffers with some games, as they're basically tacked on at times to a multiplayer experience.

Yes, there are exceptions, but they seem to be less and less nowadays.

One thing i hope never comes back, though, is save points. Saving anywhere you want = one of the best innovations ever imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 11:47 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am unsure how you can miss linearity. Many, many games are still fully linear. It never left.

Remember, this is things that used to be around that now are not. Not things today you simply do not like.

Nintendo are still very big on local play.

I also agree with smas- the fact that games have evolved beyond the need to simply be difficult is a damn good thing. Old school difficulty made gaming obscure and elitist and only about 1% of consumers, if that, ever saw anything of the products they purchased. Sure, good for your ego to be in the 1%, but bad for the industry as a whole for that to be the way.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Apr 7th, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 12:16 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote