KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Backslash

Backslash
Started by: Survivor19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Survivor19

Backslash

Let's talk about the next book in the "Fate of Jedi" series.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2010 09:07 AM
Click here to Send Survivor19 a Private Message Find more posts by Survivor19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Haven't read it yet, so no opinion . . . for now.

War Doctor

Old Post Mar 6th, 2010 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Yeah, not to much to say until Tuesday. That is when it comes out, right?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2010 04:01 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Survivor19

Well, the first chapter is already out, isn't it?

Never bought Dathomir as a plausible thing...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 08:35 PM
Click here to Send Survivor19 a Private Message Find more posts by Survivor19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
>Peeches<
Restricted

Account Restricted

My favorite Jedi Knights book is DEFINITELY this one. Actually two. Look at the cover pages on google images. They are SO tight. The first one is Hero Rising: Blue Waffle. The second one is just called The piercing of Prince Albert

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 02:55 PM
Click here to Send >Peeches< a Private Message Find more posts by >Peeches< Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shedaris

Those are really cool. Are both of them out yet. Personally I think Blue Waffle looks better. The cover page is AMAZING. Sorry for the caps. You guys should check out the covers.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 02:59 PM
Click here to Send Shedaris a Private Message Find more posts by Shedaris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Venomanzer
Restricted

Account Restricted

That is so awesome! Check it out, guys!

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 06:15 PM
Click here to Send Venomanzer a Private Message Find more posts by Venomanzer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Survivor19

So... has anybody got it?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 02:53 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Survivor19
So... has anybody got it?

Yes I just picked it up. Will probably start and finish it today.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 04:36 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Survivor19

Cool. By any means, post the most juicy spoilers here.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 06:58 PM
Lucius
Unknown

Based on the reviews at TFN, it sounds like the book isn't very good.

Which doesn't surprise me because really, SW authors can't write. I can write better than they can, and they have the benefit of professional editors and time to write out five drafts and make it polished and perfect.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 07:41 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's an interesting generalization Veneficus. Perhaps you should amend it to "Post OT authors can't write."

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 08:10 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Autokrat
Which doesn't surprise me because really, SW authors can't write.
Matthew Stover could write you into his bedroom. The man does work.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 08:35 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
That's an interesting generalization Veneficus. Perhaps you should amend it to "Post OT authors can't write."

Their is a select handful of SW authors I like. Stover, Luceno and yea, that's pretty much it. Zhan is passable if ridiculous. Denning sucks, Golden sucks, Ailsteen sucks. Drew is alright I suppose, but hardly on the level of Stover or Luceno. I suppose now that Kemp now belongs on the list of SW writers I like. Although he was writing for FR long before SW.

If I seem critical its because I'm in a position to be critical. I'm a writer myself and as a writer I notice all the small screw ups or poor prose. The writers of LOTF and FOTJ all read like fanfiction. Good fanfiction, but not anything I'd pay for and certainly not in hardcover.

Originally posted by Eminence
Matthew Stover could write you into his bedroom. The man does work.

I did like Stover so much that I bought his non SW books, which were amazing.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 08:36 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree with you, the LOTF and FOTJ writers make me want to commit murder. However, there have been plenty of good SW literature, even if it's not the majority.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 08:40 PM
Eminence
Boss

Autokrat
Their is a select handful of SW authors I like. Stover, Luceno and yea, that's pretty much it. Zhan is passable if ridiculous. Denning sucks, Golden sucks, Ailsteen sucks. Drew is alright I suppose, but hardly on the level of Stover or Luceno. I suppose now that Kemp now belongs on the list of SW writers I like. Although he was writing for FR long before SW.

If I seem critical its because I'm in a position to be critical. I'm a writer myself and as a writer I notice all the small screw ups or poor prose. The writers of LOTF and FOTJ all read like fanfiction. Good fanfiction, but not anything I'd pay for and certainly not in hardcover.
If it's writing style you're criticizing, I'm probably not in a position to judge; I wouldn't categorize myself as a writer, and I pretty much exclusively read Stover and Luceno anyway, with one book by Barnes [Cestus Deception] and a few others here and there.

Now if it's the quality of the fiction (in terms of cohesiveness, creativity, and badassery) that you have a problem with, ditto.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 09:01 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Originally posted by Eminence
If it's writing style you're criticizing, I'm probably not in a position to judge; I wouldn't categorize myself as a writer, and I pretty much exclusively read Stover and Luceno anyway, with one book by Barnes [Cestus Deception] and a few others here and there.

Now if it's the quality of the fiction (in terms of cohesiveness, creativity, and badassery) that you have a problem with, ditto.

Technical style mostly. The type of stuff most people probably don't care about. I guess for me it just drives me crazy because I have to stop and wonder what their editor was doing.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 09:17 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_...han-prequels_p2

I never realized how much Krayt looked like Shao Kahn. Thanks Cracked!

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 10:15 PM
Regnir Bamos
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've always wondered why Drew Karpyshyn's storytelling merits are always so highly praised in the video gaming world (Baldur's Gate 2, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Knights of the Old Republic) and yet in the much smaller world of Star Wars literature always seen as just slightly "ok" (Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil).

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 10:38 PM
Click here to Send Regnir Bamos a Private Message Find more posts by Regnir Bamos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Its the difference of medium. In a video game, Drew is simply guiding the plot, but he's also working with a team of other writers. Its a mistake to believe that he does all of the work. Plus, he doesn't have to write descriptions or worry about grammar etc, because all the visuals are being taken care of by the textures and 3D modeling team.

When he writes his books, it all depends on him and his editors. He has a lot more direct application with a book then with a video game.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 10:44 PM