KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How do I explain Jedi are not all powerful?

How do I explain Jedi are not all powerful?
Started by: Darth Truculent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

How do I explain Jedi are not all powerful?

A co-worker of mine has the firm belief, that Jedi are all powerful. But he's confused on how a battle droid can kill a Force user. ATOC was the film that baffled him. I told him in firefight, you can only deflect so many blaster bolts and some of the battledroids have shields. But he seems to think that a Force user with just a flick of his hand and poof - a hundred enemy combatants go flying. I then tried to say even a Master like Yoda couldn't do that. He didn't believe me. After 30 minutes I gave up feeling like a wanted to beat the guy with a baseball bat.

How do I explain this to him?

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 07:30 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

This... this has been done before. Like this exact same story has been told to us a few months ago. Thats... really weird. confused

And the answer is still that the jedi are only human (or alien), they can't react to everything and they don't catch every attack via precog and they aren't fast enough to be everywhere. As Atton said they can be distracted or make stupid dicisions just like everyone else. Also their empathy makes big battles like Geonosis hard becuase they can feel their allies dying and that distracts them. Thats why the order teaches them to let go of attachments and emotion, so they don't make as many mistakes.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 07:48 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

technically though, what your friend said is true for Yoda, and Mace, Anakin and Obi-Wan (Thanks to CW cartoons..)

Though they can also get shot in the back randomnly.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 10:09 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
This... this has been done before. Like this exact same story has been told to us a few months ago. Thats... really weird. confused

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 10:25 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Won Fei Fon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would ditch all attempts at reasoning with the fellow and give him the beating of his life with that baseball bat of yours. His kind will never learn to listen, you need to make him see things from your point of view.

You Shall Be As Gods

New #1 Enemy: Hewhoknowsall

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 09:24 AM
Click here to Send Won Fei Fon a Private Message Find more posts by Won Fei Fon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientSithLord

Jedi are certainly not all powerful. Just show him some EU material, sourcebooks etc. It makes the limitations of Jedi power quite clear.

However, that said, there certainly were some Force-users (mostly in the Old Republic era) who could kill hundreds of enemies with the Force etc. wink

Ultimately, no matter how powerful, even they did die though.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 10:06 AM
Click here to Send AncientSithLord a Private Message Find more posts by AncientSithLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Look at the movies?

Palpatine couldn't even fly well enough to make the shaft fall non-fatal.

Heck, Jedi and Sith fall to their deaths *all the time*.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 09:47 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Kip Duren moved a planet with the force.....

he also made a sun go Nova.....

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Last edited by BlackZero30x on May 3rd, 2010 at 04:29 AM

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 04:25 AM
Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

no he didn't.

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 04:35 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by truejedi
no he didn't.

it was in champions of the force i believe...

EDIT: not the super nova...i looked back at it and yes he used a torpedo to do that.....but still he moved a planet

Last edited by BlackZero30x on May 3rd, 2010 at 04:49 AM

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 04:40 AM
Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Do you have a quote for that?

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 07:06 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Do you have a quote for that?

not currently but im sure i can get one!

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 02:07 PM
truejedi

He didn't move a planet. I bet money.

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 02:32 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'll take that bet. It sounds too rediculous not to be true.

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 02:46 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Well, considering he said in the same sentence he made a star go nova...

Then took it back...
Get ready to pay up Chica!

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 02:50 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by truejedi
Well, considering he said in the same sentence he made a star go nova...

Then took it back...
Get ready to pay up Chica!

well if you don't believe me go read the book...anyways im working on finding the quote....i have to go sell text books back today so it might be awhile

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 04:49 PM
truejedi

ight. Is champions of the force from the Jedi Academy series?

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 06:05 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

yup volume 3

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 07:51 PM
truejedi

Volume 3? You mean book 3? Heck, I'll wiki it. It better not be a comic book. Those suck. That's all.

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 08:22 PM
truejedi

yeah, i've read that. If Kyp moves a planet ANYWHERE in that book, i'll make my avatar Darth Bandon for a month.

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 08:24 PM