KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Fate/stay night

Fate/stay night
Started by: Bro SMASH

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bro SMASH

Fate/stay night

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but this is an anime series that originally started as a visual novel by Type-Moon.

Taken from Wikipedia:

quote:
The story of Fate/stay night revolves around the main protagonist Shirô Emiya, a young male high school student. When Shirô was a child, his father told him how he had failed at his life ambition to become a "Hero of Justice". Shirô affirms to his foster father that he intends to devote his life to achieving that distant ideal, much to Kiritsugu's chagrin. To do this, Shirô pleads with a begrudging Kiritsugu to teach him sorcery; but being born without the capabilities of a magus, Shirô proves to be talentless in almost all the fundamental sorcerous disciplines.

When the story begins, Fuyuki City is the setting for a secret and violent war among competing magi. For the past two centuries, seven sorcerers have gathered and engage in a Battle Royale, each gambling his or her own life to obtain the Holy Grail, a legendary chalice capable of granting wishes. The past four Holy Grail Wars have typically occurred every sixty years, with the most recent concluding a decade ago, but the fifth war has started prematurely.

Each of the sorcerers, better known as Masters, is aided by one of the seven summoned spiritual familiars known as Servants, who are the reincarnations of legendary souls from all across time. These resurrected souls, possess superhuman characteristics and wield powerful artifacts or abilities called Noble Phantasms. Only one Servant can be summoned in each war from one of seven classes: Saber, Archer, Lancer, Berserker, Rider, Assassin, and Caster.

After cleaning his school's kyûdô dojo late one night, Shirô stumbles upon two Servants, Archer and Lancer, battling in the school courtyard. To avoid compromising the war's secrecy, Lancer hunts down and pierces Shirô's heart with his Noble Phantasm Spear. Shirô is then discovered near death by Rin Tôsaka and because of his relationship with her sister Sakura Matô, she uses an heirloom filled with concentrated magic, Mana, to restore his damaged heart and leaves before he awakens. Shaken and dazed, Shirô picks up the heirloom and returns home only to be assaulted a second time by Lancer. Shirô weakly defends himself against Lancer using posters he turns to metal with magic reinforcment, but is soon overwhelmed by the powerful Servant's attack, and is sent flying into his shed. Cornered, Shirô prepares for the worst; but before Lancer can inflict another fatal blow, a magical mark on Shirô's hand begins to light up and a summoning circle used previously by his foster father inside the shed begins to glow. A young woman clad in armor with an invisible sword is summoned and blocks Lancer's attack. After driving Lancer away from Shirô, she introduces herself as "Servant Saber".

Some people have said that this anime was pretty good. Too bad it hadn't aired on TV but at least it's out on DVD.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 02:50 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I watched the anime a few years ago, but I never played the games.

The anime was fairly enjoyable, and develops into something deeper than it initially appears. I've heard complaints about the ending, but I loved it and its presentation.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 02:57 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

It is an interesting series, and part of a larger 'verse too (Tsukihime. Unlike Fate/Stay it's anime apparently sucks, but the manga and game are better).

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 02:55 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

I only saw like the first few episodes of it but now I wish I could see the rest.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 06:06 PM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Something about the game is it has three "paths," each focused on a certain female protagonist (Saber, Rin, and Sakura) and different ways the Holy Grail War in detail. They get increasingly badass after the first, but build upon knowledge from the prior ones (that is, only the first path really lays out the Holy Grail War in detail), so even as cool as the anime is, it's just the first path, and iirc there's an OAV or movie of the second one, Unlimited Blade Works.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 02:44 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

You know, I almost want to play the game (Fate/Unlimited Codes). It may not be all that balanced but it looks pretty good, especially since it's made by Eighting.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Nov 12th, 2010 03:34 AM
Q99

My understanding is the Type/Moon fighting games tend to have plenty of tactical depth to 'em.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2010 04:54 AM
StyleTime

I remember hearing that every character in Unlimited Codes has an infinite/full health combo.

In theory, it's balance by making everyone powerful. Kinda like Arcana Heart.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2010 06:32 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

One thing I like is how in-universe there are broken, hax abilities, and people'll use them to their cheaty extent.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2010 01:09 AM