KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is your ultimate goal in life?

What is your ultimate goal in life?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coberst

I can remember two times in my life when I seriously asked my self the question “What are my plans for the future?”

The first time occurred about a year after high school when I decided I wanted to be an electrical engineer. I had been working as an apprentice electrician for many months and had several contacts with an engineer and this impression led me to decide to be an engineer.

I planned several proximate goals that were necessary to reach my goal of becoming an engineer. I had to go into the army so that I could go to school on the GI Bill and then I had to complete my college engineering education.

The second time that I seriously thought about a proximate goal occurred about 15 years into my career when I pondered just what I wanted for a long term goal for my self.

Life is filled with proximate goals and the decision of just what means is best followed to achieve those particular goals. Now I am pondering what my ultimate goal is. I suspect that I have always had some kind of unconscious ultimate goal but it was one that I had not consciously and seriously thought about nor consciously desired.

“What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but suffer the loss of his soul?”

I was raised as a Catholic and taught by nuns; this question was often in the fore front of much of what the nuns taught me. I suspect that this was pretty much what most Christians, Jews, and Muslims were taught. It appears that the three major religions, and perhaps most all religions, taught that the ultimate goal for all men, women, and children must be “save your soul above all else”.

Have we mixed a very dangerous cocktail here because we have developed a technology that places great power into the hands of ordinary people; many, if not most, of whom have as their ultimate goal the “saving” of their soul rather than the saving of life on this planet?

Isn’t it easy to see why many people find that their ultimate goal in life, i.e. to save their soul, fits quite satisfactorily with the ultimate desire for eternal life? Isn’t it easy to see how such individuals might find that using WMDs is not the worst thing they might do if it will help them save their soul and have eternal life?

Can our species last much longer when we have such a dangerous cocktail ready mixed for instant drinking?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2009 01:30 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coberst
“What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but suffer the loss of his soul?”
... I suspect that this was pretty much what most Christians, Jews, and Muslims were taught. It appears that the three major religions, and perhaps most all religions, taught that the ultimate goal for all men, women, and children must be “save your soul above all else”.

I can't speak for other faiths, but as far as Judaism goes, Rabbi Hillel summed it up best: "The essence of Judaism is, what you don't like, don't do to others. Everything else is commentary." In other words, it's how you treat others that's most important, especially since Jews don't believe their souls need saving as they don't believe in original sin.

Of course, how someone actually practices their faith is another matter.

In any event, my "ultimate goal" in life is stated over my avatar. wink

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2009 01:45 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

universal domination.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 06:03 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

to live a completely hedonistic life absolutely.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:03 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

procreate pass on my genetics and keep others from doing the same thing

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 03:56 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

to die, like everyone else. One things certain in life, we all end up wearing an oak overcoat.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2009 06:34 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rader
Person

Come to terms with the fact that "it's all good all the time"

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2010 11:33 AM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

my ultimate goal is to make everyone super religious

but who cares, it's a personal choice anyway

can deal with atheists

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Feb 8th, 2010 02:50 PM
overlord is currently offline Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DubiousKing

Do my part in eliminating ignorance within the general populace.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 07:12 AM
DubiousKing is currently offline Click here to Send DubiousKing a Private Message Find more posts by DubiousKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

sex and money

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 07:49 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Omnipotence

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Feb 20th, 2010 12:46 AM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Live forever.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2010 12:42 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Live long and prosper.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2010 02:00 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can't get any longer than forever.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2010 07:39 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by lord xyz
Can't get any longer than forever.
Forevermore.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2010 10:45 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Screw forever, I'd get bored.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2010 11:36 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

To have sex with Kate Beckinsale. It doesn't get any loftier than that. evil face

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 07:31 AM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Wow, did any of you guys read the first post, because it took a sudden turn, and his question at the end of his soliloquy was much different from the subject of the thread. I notice Mindship did, but he appears to be the only one.
Anyways, my ultimate goal in life would be to try everything, at least once. Even the terrible things, just so I can know what they feel like.

I got everything!

Old Post Feb 26th, 2010 10:15 PM
Grate the Vraya is currently offline Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Wow, did any of you guys read the first post, because it took a sudden turn, and his question at the end of his soliloquy was much different from the subject of the thread. I notice Mindship did, but he appears to be the only one.
Not gonna read all that you crazy--

Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Anyways, my ultimate goal in life would be to try everything, at least once. Even the terrible things, just so I can know what they feel like.
--pedophile...?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:10 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Not gonna read all that you crazy--

--pedophile...?
Well....yeah!

I got everything!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:18 AM
Grate the Vraya is currently offline Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote