KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Pokemon dreamteam challenge

Pokemon dreamteam challenge
Started by: jmoul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jmoul

Pokemon dreamteam challenge

This is kind of open for people to bring up challengers. I have been looking for somebody with a Pokemon team that can best my Crystal team made up purely of level 100s with all of their stats maxed out. I challenge you all to post your greatest team to combat mine:

1. Typhlosion
Flamethrower
Thunderpunch
Earthquake
Sunny Day

2. Lapras
Ice Beam
Surf
Confuse Ray
Body Slam

3. Electabuzz
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Cross Chop
Thunder Wave

4. Marowak
Bone Rush
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Swords Dance

5. Umbreon
Faint Attack
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Psychic
6. Alakazam
Psychic
Ice Punch
Recover
Shadow Ball

Again, post the strongest you have ever actually had in any version to challenge me.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2013 09:25 PM
jmoul is currently offline Click here to Send jmoul a Private Message Find more posts by jmoul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

Reckon I could beat that with Tyrnitar, Jolteon and Lucario.

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Oct 9th, 2013 10:01 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

With a fast enough breloom and swampart, shouldn't be too difficult.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2013 10:05 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

1. Haxorus
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Dragon Tail
Earthquake

2. Primeape (though I usually lead with this guy)
Focus Punch / Acrobatics
Outrage
Fire Punch
Close Combat

3. Stantler
Megahorn
Earthquake
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

4. Torkoal (but nowadays I can give him Shell Smash! big grin)
Explosion
Body Slam / Stealth Rock
Lava Plume
Protect / Curse

5. Blissey
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Softboiled / Gravity
Counter

6. Blastoise
Protect
Toxic
Surf
Rapid Spin

I don't know that this is my strongest ever, but It's not horribad. I've had a shitload of teams, so I couldn't remember my best even if I wanted to. Truth be told, I don't even think this is a team. It's probably just a meshing of Pokemon I've had over the years.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2013 10:17 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jmoul

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
With a fast enough breloom and swampart, shouldn't be too difficult.

One Ice Beam from Lapras, which is holding Nevermeltice, would take out Breloom pretty quickly and my Alakazam could take Swampert down steadily, with repeated Psychics and Recovers.

No offense, but try again.

Forgot to mention held items, so here is my list:

Typhlosion: Charcoal

Lapras: Nevermeltice

Electabuzz: Magnet

Marowak: Thick Club

Umbreon: Blackglasses

Alakazam: Twistedspoon

Old Post Oct 9th, 2013 10:41 PM
jmoul is currently offline Click here to Send jmoul a Private Message Find more posts by jmoul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jmoul

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
1. Haxorus
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Dragon Tail
Earthquake

2. Primeape (though I usually lead with this guy)
Focus Punch / Acrobatics
Outrage
Fire Punch
Close Combat

3. Stantler
Megahorn
Earthquake
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

4. Torkoal (but nowadays I can give him Shell Smash! big grin)
Explosion
Body Slam / Stealth Rock
Lava Plume
Protect / Curse

5. Blissey
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Softboiled / Gravity
Counter

6. Blastoise
Protect
Toxic
Surf
Rapid Spin

I don't know that this is my strongest ever, but It's not horribad. I've had a shitload of teams, so I couldn't remember my best even if I wanted to. Truth be told, I don't even think this is a team. It's probably just a meshing of Pokemon I've had over the years.

Can Stantler actually learn Megahorn? If so why teach it that, since it wouldn't get a STAB and it isn't particularly effective against much other than Dark and Grass

Old Post Oct 9th, 2013 10:44 PM
The Scenario
Greater Sci-Fi combatant

Originally posted by jmoul
One Ice Beam from Lapras, which is holding Nevermeltice, would take out Breloom pretty quickly and my Alakazam could take Swampert down steadily, with repeated Psychics and Recovers.

No offense, but try again.

Breloom is faster than Lapras, so unless Breloom's switching in, that Lapras or anything you switch to just got Spore'd. Or Bullet Seed OHKO's 70% of the the time.

quote:

252 SpA TwistedSpoon Alakazam Psychic vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 198-234 (51.56 - 60.93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

quote:
252+ Atk Choice Band Swampert Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 448-528 (177.77 - 209.52%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Swampert tanks Alakazam's Psychic and one shots it with Earthquake.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Here's the calculator, it's fun.

Now, a team I've actually had? One of my more recent ones is from White 2. Let's see if I remember what items these guys had.

Froslass (Timid) w/Focus Sash
-Taunt
-Spikes
-Destiny Bond
-Ice Beam

Magnezone (Calm) w/Light Clay
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Ground
-Light Screen
-Reflect

Gallade (Adamant) w/I don't recall
-Psycho Cut
-Shadow Sneak
-Close Combat
-Swords Dance

Roserade (Timid) w/Life Orb
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder
-Synthesis

Flygon (Jolly) w/Choice Band
-Rock Slide
-Dragon Claw
-Faint Attack
-Earthquake

Guarados (Adamant) w/Leftovers
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Taunt
-Bounce

This team has a relatively simple idea behind it: Froslass leads, lays down a layer of spikes, and then Destiny Bonds to remove the opponent's lead. At which point Magnezone comes in, sets up dual screens, and then Volt Switches to one of 4 sweepers as appropriate. I'm overly fond of my Gyarados, as it gets both Reflect and Intimidate, which is hopefully enough defense to allow him to pull off a Dragon Dance and then rampage through everything.

Against your team, I can see a few things happening, assuming you start with Typhlosion. So first, Froslass comes in, outspeeding Typhlosion and laying down Spikes. Here I guess Typhlosion uses Flamethrower, which Froslass only survives due to Focus Sash. Next turn Froslass Destiny Bonds, Typhlosion attacks, and both faint.

Here it gets tough to predict since I don't know who you'd send in next. I'll assume Lapras only since it's listed next. Anyway, Magnezone comes in and is outsped by Lapras, but Surf does little damage and Magnezone Light Screens. Lapras will have a terrible terrible time damaging Magnezone after that (like, 4HKO terrible), so best bet is probably switching to Marowak. Either way, Magnezone would successfully Reflect.

Next, it's at this point part of my plan backfires, as Magnezne can't Volt Switch on Marowak so I have to do it the old fashioned way, but then again I switched to Gyarados. If you used Earthquake to try to KO Magnezone, Gyarados would come in unscathed. On the other hand, if you predicted the switch and used Rock Slide, Gyarados would take maybe 1/3 of its HP since Reflect is up and Marowak is Intimidated. I'd use a Dragon Dance here, since Marowak is unlikely to KO Gyarados, and Gyarados could one shot Marowak, Electabuzz, and Alakazam with Waterfall after the boost. (Alakazam is fast enough to go first even after Dragon Dance, but Light Screen would prevent him from KOing Gyarados before getting a Waterfall in the face, assuming it's still up.) Umbreon would survive 1 hit, and Lapras' Water Absorb would heal it and completely wall Gyarados. I'd probably use Gallade to Close Combat the Lapras if that happened.

That's all I'm really willing to guess on, since I don't know how you fight. Heck, you could Sunny Day on the first turn for all I know, or switch to something other than Lapras after Froslass brings Typhlosion down with it. Still, do not under any circumstances allow Gyarados to Dragon Dance. It is a monster.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 07:23 AM
The Scenario is currently offline Click here to Send The Scenario a Private Message Find more posts by The Scenario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Can Stantler actually learn Megahorn? If so why teach it that, since it wouldn't get a STAB and it isn't particularly effective against much other than Dark and Grass

For type coverage. Normal STAB isn't particularly effective against a lot, I see it better to go for super effective damage from the other moves. Bug lets me have super up against Grass, Dark, and Psychic.

Scenario, we should battle some time. I'm betting you're damn good. I'm not, but it'll be fun.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 10:49 AM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

Going to type up a full team later. You guys should join me on PO :3

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 12:26 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jmoul

My Typhlosion is normally my lead, and, depending on the type of your lead, I have use any of his attacks accordingly, (eg, if it's water, I use sunny day then thunderpunch, which has OHKOed Red's Blastoise on multiple occasions).

Also, I don't think you read the portion that said all of my pokemon have their stats MAXED OUT, meaning that it is the highest any can go.

Lastly, while my Lapras is not faster than a Breloom, it has taken a Solarbeam from Red's Venusaur, and he barely lost more than 1/3 of his health. I think he can take a bullet seed from a Breloom.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 12:57 PM
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

My Typhlosion is normally my lead, and, depending on the type of your lead, I have use any of his attacks accordingly, (eg, if it's water, I use sunny day then thunderpunch, which has OHKOed Red's Blastoise on multiple occasions).

Also, I don't think you read the portion that said all of my pokemon have their stats MAXED OUT, meaning that it is the highest any can go.

Lastly, while my Lapras is not faster than a Breloom, it has taken a Solarbeam from Red's Venusaur, and he barely lost more than 1/3 of his health. I think he can take a bullet seed from a Breloom.

Red is an ingame NPC, far inferior to a real opponent's capabilities. Use the damage calc they linked to, and you'll be surprised.

Your Pokemon's stats can't be as high as they can all go, that would be an illegal hacked Pokemon. You can max two stats with full EV investment, and no more.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 01:07 PM
jmoul

It's still hard AF to one-hit any of his pokemon, due to their insane levels. And I did check, it still works as a one-shot, even with a Player's pokemon. And, surviving the most powerful attack of a type (at that time) with the user getting a STABed attack, with a super-effective attack, is also nearly impossible, especially with only losing 1/3 of the HP.

Also, now that I think about it, I will admit that I kind of assumed that they were at the highest it could possibly go, since I gave each of my pokemon so many proteins, irons, calciums, carbos, and HP Ups that their stats couldn't go any higher.

Last edited by jmoul on Oct 10th, 2013 at 02:06 PM

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 02:03 PM
The Scenario
Greater Sci-Fi combatant

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Scenario, we should battle some time. I'm betting you're damn good. I'm not, but it'll be fun.

Nah, I'm not that good at competitive and I don't do it often. The team I posted up there was mostly a breeding project to see if I could do it in game. It's got a few too many weaknesses to things like priority, and I depend too much on my sweepers and dual screens to do much else. Breeding that Gallade and some Gardevoir is how I got my shiny Ralts, though.

Still, a team of Froslass, Magnezone, and Gyarados does pretty well in the PWT, though I prefer doubles. Gliscor, Rotom, Gastrodon and Metagross wreck faces in a double battle.

quote:
Originally posted by Jmoul

I read it, though I'm not sure how much difference it makes since mine are IV bred and EV trained in their best stats. Your team strikes as the one you went through the game with, so their stats probably aren't actually the highest possible. If you just fed them vitamins like protein, their EV are probably spread out and aren't at their maximum, either.

That's one thing I hate about Pokemon. IV's just pointlessly declare that one Pokemon can never be as good as possible because it lost the genetic lottery. Too much realism in mah Pokemans.

Anyway, it's time for POKEMON MECHANICS WITH SCENARIO (tm). IVs, or Individual Values, are like a Pokemon's genes. Each stat has an IV that can range from 0 to 31, and that number determines how high the Pokemon's stats can get. It's pretty simple: at level 100, a Pokemon with a 31 in its Attack IV will have 31 more points in Attack than a Pokemon with 0 in Attack. IVs are determined randomly for each stat when a Pokemon is generated. Since it's random, the possibility exists to have bad IVs, so a certain Pokemon may just get the short end of the stick.

Through breeding, and the power of ARTIFICIAL SELECTION, it is possible to pass down some IVs. It's a rather time consuming process, but at least it's just an afternoon instead of millions of years. Each of my Pokemon have been painstakingly bred to have a 31 in their main stats. With EV training, each of them will have their stats at the absolute maximum.

Now EVs, or Effort Values, are pretty cool, as you have almost complete control over them. Each Pokemon can have up to 510 EV points spread across their 6 stats, though each stat can only have a maximum of 255 EVs in it. For every 4 EVs, a stat gets a 1 point boost at level 100, so it's better to only put 252 points in a single stat as its a multiple of 4. So a Gyarados with 252 EVs in Attack has an extra 63 points of Attack. With a 31 Attack IV, this Gyarados has an extra 94 points of Attack, and with an Attack increasing nature like Adamant (more on Natures later) it will hit the absolute maximum its Attack stat can be. IT. IS. A. MONSTER.

Anyway, there are essentially 2 ways to increase your Effort Values: Vitamins such as Protein, and by fighting other Pokemon. Vitamins are convenient in that they instantly increase an EV by 10 points, but they have a problem. See, Vitamins can only give up to 100 points in a single stat. When you see that "It won't have any effect" message, it means that stat has reached 100 EVs and the vitamin won't work anymore. However, since the actual maximum is 255, that means a Pokemon just given vitamins is not actually at its maximum in that stat. Now you have to train it the old fashioned way.

Like I said, there are 2 ways to increase EVs, and the other is through Pokemon battles. It's a bit different from just normal leveling up. You can think of like this: fighting strong Pokemon makes your Pokemon stronger, and fighting faster Pokemon makes your Pokemon faster. KOing defensive mons increases Defense and so on. Each Pokemon has what's called an EV Yield, which is how many EV points it gives when defeated. Let's use Gyarados again because I love Gyarados you guys. When defeated, Gyarados gives however many Experience points, but also 2 EV in Attack. So if you fight a bunch of Gyarados, whichever Pokemon you used will be gaining a lot of points in Attack. It will be super strong.

Unfortunately, since every Pokemon gives EVs when defeated, if you go through the game normally your EV will be crazy, with the points spread out everywhere. You pretty much have to train against just one species of Pokemon in order to get your EVs to an appreciable level. I usually don't bother with this in-game.

So there, mechanics rant more or less over. I was going to go over Natures, but the OP team is in Crystal and none of them have Natures yet. This post is lost enough enough anyway.

TL;DR: Pokeymans are Serious Business.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 06:27 PM
The Scenario is currently offline Click here to Send The Scenario a Private Message Find more posts by The Scenario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

You guys are gay.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 07:33 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Gay for POKESCIENCE!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 07:54 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Bullet seed?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 08:23 PM
jmoul

What about bullet seed?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 08:54 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Why would you teach breloom bullet seed? Breloom is possibly the greatest pokemon in existence, it needs moves that reflect that.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 09:03 PM
jmoul

I agree with the fact that bullet seed is a terrible grass-type attack, and really could be more powerful. I don't agree that breloom is among the greatest Pokemon in existence; IMPO, Typhlosion is the greatest Pokémon ever, due to his speed, range of attacks, and his ability to be an overall badass.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 09:22 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Well then sit back and let me learn you a little something something.
Breloom has the highest base attack stat out of every single grass type. He hits harder than all your venosuars and sawabucks. You know how many pokemon can learn spore( the ONLY 100% sleep inducer)? Three lines. Breloom being the strongest of them. Being part fighting type, they can also learn strong stabs such as dynamic and focus punch.

In short, they're stronger than other grass types and more versatile than fighting types. Also he's a dinosaur.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 09:31 PM