KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Retrospective: Contra Shattered Soldier

Retrospective: Contra Shattered Soldier
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Retrospective: Contra Shattered Soldier

IMO, this is an underrated game...

When it was released, it received criticism based on everything from lack of a spread gun, no weapons pickups, not enough stages, too much of an emphasis on boss fights.. Basically, it alienated the purists, and didn't really do much to capture casuals.

Yet, I'd kill for a good sequel on modern hardware.. I "like" that you have all weapons, at all times, and need to know when to use them.. It's sort of the equivalent of how some RTS games like the Total War series cuts out the boring "Build up phase", and cuts right to the strategy combat segments. And it's the only side scrolling Contra that you can kill 10-20 minutes or so on, make some progress, and put it away to do other things.. I'm past the point of "Marathon gaming sessions", so for me that's a pretty strong selling point..

One thing I don't understand at all, is some reviewers criticized the visuals.. Really? It looks pretty slick to me, for an earlier PS2 title.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2012 08:47 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote