KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Could the Wii U be Nintendo's last console?

Could the Wii U be Nintendo's last console?
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VG_Addict

Could the Wii U be Nintendo's last console?

The Wii U is currently flopping. I don't think Nintendo has ever had a console do as poorly as it is right now. Will they drop out next gen?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 01:05 AM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I'm sure we'll have a new version of the 3DS announced before this year's over.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 01:14 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

I think they may try again but the handhelds will definitely keep on coming.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 01:31 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

quote: (post)
Originally posted by VG_Addict
The Wii U is currently flopping. I don't think Nintendo has ever had a console do as poorly as it is right now. Will they drop out next gen?

I don't know hard numbers, but I think the GameCube tanked as bad

And no, "Nintendoom is not nigh"

The Wii was an anomaly, It (s success) shouldn't have existed . Nintendo thought they could continue to ignore the current trend in the industry for a second time and now they fail, but they got the DS to bounce back on just like they did with the Gameboy

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 01:32 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by S_D_J
The Wii was an anomaly, It (s success) shouldn't have existed.

Eh, this is beautiful reasoning. The Wii not only should exist, but it existed and had some great sales numbers. I think I get what you mean, but the idea of a cheap family console when the first generation of gamers became full grown adults actually makes sense as a trend.

Anyways, as per the topic, the Wii U is not doing all that bad, but it would certainly perform bad enough for Nintendo to try a different approach the next time they try to jump into the console wagon. I think they'll be going for the handheld/console hybrid next time.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 06:28 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Re: Could the Wii U be Nintendo's last console?

Virtual Boy.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 11:01 AM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Astner
I'm sure we'll have a new version of the 3DS announced before this year's over.

You mean another one besides the 3DS XL and 2DS? stick out tongue On a side note-

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/01/next-level-games-nintendo/

This should be cool in addition to the other good studios Nintendo has under their belt.

As for the main topic, was pretty much expected, but it is what it is I guess.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 11:45 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

GameCube didn't do well either. Sold only 21 million consoles.

In my opinion, I think the Wii U is the last console they will have. Analysts and other predictors have suggested this might be the last console generation as well.

But I won't be surprised if they release another one though.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 03:32 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VG_Addict

So, do most of you think this will be the last console by Nintendo?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 03:38 PM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

H-have you read the posts in this thread?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 09:02 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Hm Last console generation? Why? I doubt that will happen. There is just something about the ease of just buying a console.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 09:05 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

So, do most of you think this will be the last console by Nintendo?

It probably will but this should never have happened. My guess the reason sales are poor is because the Wii U is not as big a multimedia device like, say, the Xbone. Why are people so obsessed with multimedia?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jan 15th, 2014 at 09:43 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 09:39 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

The reason it is doing poorly are 2 or 3 things IMHO:

1. Inferior specs. No hit "gimmick."
2. History of Nintendo's consoles being paperweight if it weren't for the first party support. AKA lack of 3rd party developers.
3. No real leverage/need/importance on the main "hardcore" gamers

They can all be put as one, but really thats why I think it is sucking.

I honestly doubt its because of "multi-media" interface/options.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 09:57 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by Bentley
Eh, this is beautiful reasoning. The Wii not only should exist, but it existed and had some great sales numbers. I think I get what you mean, but the idea of a cheap family console when the first generation of gamers became full grown adults actually makes sense as a trend.

Anyways, as per the topic, the Wii U is not doing all that bad, but it would certainly perform bad enough for Nintendo to try a different approach the next time they try to jump into the console wagon. I think they'll be going for the handheld/console hybrid next time.

My point, just to clear it, was that Nintendo was not meant to be as successful as they were with the Wii. They were supposed, and this was on record, to make a cheap family console (as you put it) to keep they cost down while keeping their legacy.
GC hurt them really bad so from the get go they were aiming low: Selling a lot of regular stuff at lower price/ selling less premium at a higher price was their angle. the Wii was supposed to be a "$100" console, just as the GC became once it tanked. Obviously that never came to happen as a price cut never came (at the same time other consoles had price-cuts)

They also created (or tapped) a whole new market: Casual
That kept them high above their competition

But they thought they could continue that trend without realizing their "casual" crowd were going to another much accessible (yet much more expensive) market: Smart Phones

Originally posted by Zack Fair
The reason it is doing poorly are 2 or 3 things IMHO:

1. Inferior specs. No hit "gimmick."
2. History of Nintendo's consoles being paperweight if it weren't for the first party support. AKA lack of 3rd party developers.
3. No real leverage/need/importance on the main "hardcore" gamers

They can all be put as one, but really thats why I think it is sucking.

I honestly doubt its because of "multi-media" interface/options.

I'll add the stupid name to those points.

Naming it WiiU (instead of going with a much simpler Wii 2) created brand confusion

The casual market had no idea what it was, and since it was marketed along side the wiimotes, they thought it was yet another peripheral instead of a new console and dismissed it right away.

adding the "2" says it all (PS2, PS3, Iphone4, Iphone5, GalaxySII, GalaxyS4, and so on)

I still see people buying their kids Wii, instead of WiiU since its much cheaper and, I quote, "still the same thing"

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 11:40 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VG_Addict

But most of you think this will be their last console.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2014 12:02 AM
Utrigita

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Hm Last console generation? Why? I doubt that will happen. There is just something about the ease of just buying a console.

Because given the timeframe each console works with, it's a likely scenario that the tablets and smartphones will simply have made the consoles irrelevant. Kinda like they are doing to laptops atm. Now I'm not saying I support this view, but I can see the logic behind it.

But most of you think this will be their last console.

No.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2014 12:43 AM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VG_Addict

But there's no need for Nintendo home consoles, anymore.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2014 04:34 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

But there's no need for Nintendo home consoles, anymore.

Nintendo has basically been putting out party systems. As mentioned above for casual gamers. I think one problem is the consumers see "The Next Gen" as a console war and corporations eat that up because the more heated the war the more money they make. The Wii/U systems are victims of the single mindset that a lot of gamers share....It has to have amazing Graphics, lots of memory, and all the triple A titles. So while Nintendo hasn't thrown in the towel they have, in a way, dropped out of the war. So even if you are a fan of one of the "high end" gaming platforms you're gonna stick with that. If not then the typical person picks based on Graphics, Games, hardware...ect. So once someone has picked based upon what one they think is better, my question is...Why does the Wii need to compare? It's in a class of its own. I mean its a cheap system meant to play games everyone can enjoy. Why can't it exist along side the other systems? Im a hardcore gamer and I love mine. In fact my love for gaming drove up my interest. Playing Mario, Sonic, pikman, Zelda..ect are just as fun to me as GTA, Gears of war, Dark Souls, Injustice..ect. So let me answer your question with another question. It's affordable, has fun games, and a simple interface...why would there ever be "no need for it"?

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Last edited by BlackZero30x on Jan 16th, 2014 at 05:44 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2014 05:41 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Is it just me or is VG_Addict asking these questions to purposely annoy anyone here who might be a Nintendo fan?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2014 07:19 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

My point, just to clear it, was that Nintendo was not meant to be as successful as they were with the Wii. They were supposed, and this was on record, to make a cheap family console (as you put it) to keep they cost down while keeping their legacy.
GC hurt them really bad so from the get go they were aiming low: Selling a lot of regular stuff at lower price/ selling less premium at a higher price was their angle. the Wii was supposed to be a "$100" console, just as the GC became once it tanked. Obviously that never came to happen as a price cut never came (at the same time other consoles had price-cuts)

I think the problem is that Nintendo failed to realize that they had already made a highly succesful family console that became a great hit with sales: the Game Boy.

They also created (or tapped) a whole new market: Casual
That kept them high above their competition

Mobile devices will without a doubt be the home of most casual gamers, but I have to disagree with the notion that the market the Wii created just disapeared. The real issue for Nintendo is that a console such as the Wii or the Game Boy -or mobile games for that matter-, lives and dies with it's third party support, which is Nintendo's Achilles heel right now.

In any case, the Wii U isn't what it takes ot reclaim the market of the Wii, but that isn't going to stop Nintendo from wanting the lightning to stike three times. They want to make a console that doesn't compete directly with the PS4 and the Xbone, in the way the 3DS is succesful and doesn't compete with the mobile phones directly. It's a hard balance to achieve.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 16th, 2014 07:44 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote